Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 04:08 PM

9 posts, read 51,362 times

Advertisements

After doing much google searching to no avail I'm going to see if anyone here can help me with a question. I'm living in a one bedroom apartment with my husband and we are having serious noise problems with the people directly across the hall from us. We've made lots of complaints to management but as far as we can tell they haven't done their job in giving them letters of lease violation due to noise (they have a three strikes and you're out rule, if only they'd actually put out the letters to our neighbors they'd be on their third strike!). When talking to someone in the office the other day I mentioned that our neighbor has just had a new baby and that it's crying is causing a lot of noise and also that her boyfriend has recently moved in (he seems to think it's ok to stomp and jump on the stairs at midnight ). On top of this, she already has her little girl (about 3-4 years old) living with her and she likes to scream a LOT and this results in her mom screaming back at her. This is four people in a not so big one bedroom. He told me that that's illegal, that there are only two heartbeats allowed per one bedroom apartment according to Alabama law. I can't find this anywhere on the net for Alabama, just a reference to it in this forum for South Carolina, so I was hoping someone in Alabama can help. I really hope it is true because I do not want to have these people living near me any more, we can't enjoy our apartment due to their loud talking, loud tv, screaming kids, and loud guests. On top of all this it appears they've been stealing cable as well as I overheard my other neighbor tattling on them for this, so maybe they'll get evicted one way or another!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 01:09 PM

Anyone? I could really use some help!

Old 01-03-2007, 03:30 PM

8 posts, read 50,261 times
It is not so simple an answer. If the apartment is a 505, Sec 8, tax credit, etc it may have one set of rules different from other forms of rental. Also, there very well may be municipal codes that apply. Where is this apartment? In a city or the county?

Old 01-03-2007, 05:02 PM

It's in the city, just a normal rental apartment as far as I know. We've been having a lot of neighbor drama on both sides of the building and when I talked to the lady below me about it today she informed me that my trouble neighbor is moving in February so I guess it doesn't matter too much anyways.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:05 AM

52 posts, read 329,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriseden View Post
my trouble neighbor is moving in February so I guess it doesn't matter too much anyways.
Until the next one moves in, then you might want the old ones back because they were angles
Wonder how well they screen these people? or do then just rent it?

Sorry "Been There Done That" - moved because of it, well it was time to move to bigger better place anyhow, GF & I bought a Condo.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:09 AM

It's a very nice and well respected apartment complex with income requirements (3x the rent I believe). Their main problem is in not enforcing the rules they set out - not sending letters of complaint to problem neighbors, not enforcing the picking up after your pet rule, not enforcing parking rules, so on and so forth. My downstairs neighbor and I agree if nothing happens to control these problem tenants that we will go above managements heads to the realty company and above if we have to that own the apartments.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:20 AM

52 posts, read 329,727 times
My thought would be that if you pay rent like everyone else, and you were (they were) given a set of rules to abide by then, if I break the rules and some one complains, will you come tell me about it? well if you do then why don't you do it when we complain.

Go together and say they have been breaking these rules and we want something done about it, keep after them if they do not do it and it is their job then go up one level but band together the more that complaine the better the results I would think... no easy solution to something like this!

Old 01-06-2007, 08:46 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,881 times
Unfortunately in many situations, the Manager will not enforce the rules unless the Owner pressures them to do so.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:44 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Call the police. Call Child Protective Services, Call the health Department. Get as much attention as you can on the problem, and call a lawyer, sue the complex over loss sleep and time lost at work, and stress.. make it an issue.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:04 AM

232 posts, read 994,304 times
Default Try the owner

If the property manager is unresponsive, try contacting the ownership of the property directly. Most apartment complexes in Huntsville are owned by larger corporations that own hundreds and thousands of apartment units. They need to know what's going on, both in the case of the one apartment in question and about the unresponsive manager, and that those things could negatively impact their rental income in the long term.

See, it costs apartment owners a great deal of moeny to recarpet, repaint, etc. when anyone moves out of an apartment, so they are usually pretty sensative to what they call 'churn,' or this process of residents moving in and out. Owners seriously want to reduce churn because they make much more money from long term residents where they're not recarpeting or repainting every year or so. Any activity on-site that could increase the churn of good, potentially long-term residents should be at the top of their list to resolve.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama