Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 12:36 PM

13 posts, read 27,965 times

Advertisements

Hello, our family is moving soon, we’ve outgrown our house and are looking for a little bit of land, couple acres or more, and we have the opportunity to relocate with this move if we want to. We have 2 grade school kids and a baby.

We live in Dothan right now and would like to get out of the city for sure, looking mostly in Ozark, Enterprise, Columbia and Graceville FL if we stay in this area. I’m from here and my family all live in the Wiregrass but I’m just not very attached to the idea of staying. I am a little involved w volunteering and a church but it’s nothing I can’t find somewhere else know what I mean?

The reason we would consider the Montgomery area is that my husbands family is there. He’s much closer w his family than I am w mine. It also looks like we can get more for our money far as sq ft and acreage. Been looking at prattville, wetumpka, billingsley, fort deposit, Davenport, hayneville, red level, shorter etc. My husband works for himself currently as a plumber/electrician, his business is just 2 yrs old and doing pretty well where we’re at now, he’s built out a great network, but we feel confident he could easily get work in the Montgomery area, some of his family do construction and need help. There’s always demand for plumbers and electricians I feel like. If/when I go back to work I can teach social studies in middle or high school and am also a certified personal trainer, but my real passion is growing food!

We are looking at things like schools and extra curricular opportunities for the babies too. And demographics of each town, we don’t want to be in a racially homogenous area, which can be a little harder to find when you want some land. There seem to be more diverse rural areas outside of Montgomery than here. A last and major consideration is that we are a blended family, the two oldest have visitation w their father here in the Wiregrass, but it is pretty flexible. They also enjoy visits w my family from time to time. It’s not like Montgomery is too far to make the trip back pretty often though.

Anyway we been considering this move for like a year now and still can’t decide whether we wanna stay or go. We’re getting close to cashing out on a investment property that will allow us to make this move so I’m just hoping to hear from anybody who can help sell us on one place over the other. Just having a hard time focusing in on where we should be house hunting.

Last edited by RachaelLJ; 01-31-2022 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 11:04 AM

113 posts, read 89,906 times
I wouldn't trade parts of Dothan for most parts of Monkeytown unless it's Prattville, or to the NE

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 02-17-2022 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: corrected previous edit

Old 02-07-2022, 12:36 PM

141 posts, read 178,275 times
I don't care much for Dothan (current resident) but I second the ”no trade for Montgomery” thought. Auburn and Opelika are not far from Montgomery and are very up and coming areas with great downtowns and exceptional growth.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:26 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
The Wiregrass is a nicer area than Montgomery, for the most part. I don't really see any point in leaving Dothan for Montgomery, unless you just have to be closer to your husband's family.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen440 View Post
I wouldn't trade parts of Dothan for most parts of Monkeytown unless it's Prattville, or to the NE
Isn’t this a racist term for Montgomery… I’m not looking for biased responses

Old 02-22-2022, 10:47 AM

Hoping4Huntsville we don’t want to be that far from the city (auburn opelika) since we’ll probably be commuting there for work, but as a Dothan resident what do you feel is the trade off vs the Montgomery area? It’s a bigger city, more metro area, lots more to do plus it looks like we can get more of what we’re looking for on land/home size. I know folks say crime/schools in the Gump can be rough but honestly Dothan is getting more like that every year and we are really looking outside of Montgomery anyway.
I lived my whole life in the Dothan area so I already know exactly what I like and dislike about it. Not as familiar w the ups and downs of other regions.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:58 AM

EscAlaMike do you have any more opinion on what makes the Wiregrass nicer? Closer to the beach is the best we can come up with. Some of my specific complaints as a lifetime resident are the Dothan city government/Dothan utilities, Dothan city schools, lack of good jobs, housing costs, traffic is terrible. We have nice public parks, I can say that. If we stay in the Wiregrass we’re getting out of Dothan at least. But most areas outside the city are a monoculture, not much diversity at all, which pretty much leaves us w Enterprise/Ozark/Midland city. Then there is still the jobs issue for me when I go back to work.
What do you see as advantages in the Wiregrass over central Alabama?

Old 02-22-2022, 11:17 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelLJ View Post
EscAlaMike do you have any more opinion on what makes the Wiregrass nicer? Closer to the beach is the best we can come up with. Some of my specific complaints as a lifetime resident are the Dothan city government/Dothan utilities, Dothan city schools, lack of good jobs, housing costs, traffic is terrible. We have nice public parks, I can say that. If we stay in the Wiregrass we’re getting out of Dothan at least. But most areas outside the city are a monoculture, not much diversity at all, which pretty much leaves us w Enterprise/Ozark/Midland city. Then there is still the jobs issue for me when I go back to work.
What do you see as advantages in the Wiregrass over central Alabama?
I certainly understand if there are things you strongly dislike about Dothan. Having never lived in Dothan myself, I have no reason not to take your word for it.

I just think that when comparing the specific things you listed:

city governments
utilities
schools
jobs
housing cost
traffic

I don't see how Montgomery is an improvement. Montgomery has the same problems and in some cases has them much worse.

Getting out of the city of Dothan may be a good option. As far as "diversity", in what way do you perceive Montgomery as being "more diverse" than the Wiregrass?

Being closer to your husband's family is a legitimate concern and can be in itself a good reason to move; but to pretend like Montgomery is some kind of promised land compared to Dothan is to me very naive.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:56 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Quote:
This is trucker slang, like Motor City for Detroit. Based on an incident with actual monkeys, probably influenced by the similar sounds. Like people who call Montgomery Ward - "Monkey Ward."

Old 02-22-2022, 02:11 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
In my mind it is not racist. Think "Montgomery Ward" historically being called "Monkey Ward." We did it all the time back in the day. (I don't know how old you are or whether you know about Montgomery Ward.) My housemate's best friend works for a federal agency in northern Alabama. Once a week she has to travel to "Monkey town." It's not a racist term when used by her or my housemate, both are natives of Alabama. She (white) is in a relationship with an African American man. I seriously doubt she would say Monkeytown as a racial slur.

Maybe there are some people using the term in a racist or derogatory manner, but not in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama