Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 06:33 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
If you can swing it, the Lodge at Gulf Shores State Park is amazing. If the room rate is too steep, it's still worth it to snag a drink at their very awesome bar.
Good to know. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 07:30 AM

842 posts, read 826,766 times
Most of Alabama is part of the Mobile River basin/watershed and is sometimes called the Amazon of the United States. There is a very high level of biodiversity, so I'm sure that translates to a very wide variety of birds across the state. Enjoy!

Old 07-04-2022, 02:34 PM

204 posts, read 135,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
For lodging on the coast, Gulf State Park offers cabin rentals. I've never stayed there personally, but the cabins look nice, and it may be a good deal depending on how many people in your group.
I'm glad to hear it's back and doing well. I haven't been to Gulf Shores in more than 30 years and when I was there last the State Park cabins didn't look too good. I later heard something about them closing down or being torn down, which made me sad. The land itself looked OK, nice location IMO.

Old 07-05-2022, 08:16 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
We are flying out of Boston and there are no non-stops to Birmingham. If you fly from East Coat to AB frequently what airline do you prefer? I am looking at Southwest and Delta one stops at Baltimore, the other in Atlanta.

I am asking this because of awful experience with Southwest a year ago and desire to avoid non-stop but this is not possible. I usually like Southwest but our last flight was awful, terribly understaffed with delays and cancellations. We can fly non stop to Atlanta but I hate asking family to come pick us up.
Thanks.
FWIW, my daughter and her boyfriend just flew Southwest from PHX to ATL. No issues whatsoever with their 4th of July flights. I picked them up in ATL since it's only 80 mins from our house outside of Opelika and, they took a shuttle back yesterday. Easy/peasy.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:53 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Apple View Post
I'm glad to hear it's back and doing well. I haven't been to Gulf Shores in more than 30 years and when I was there last the State Park cabins didn't look too good. I later heard something about them closing down or being torn down, which made me sad. The land itself looked OK, nice location IMO.
There are rental cabins in the State Park on the north side of the freshwater Lake Shelby, which is across the road from from the beachside State Park Lodge on the Gulf.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:08 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
FWIW, my daughter and her boyfriend just flew Southwest from PHX to ATL. No issues whatsoever with their 4th of July flights. I picked them up in ATL since it's only 80 mins from our house outside of Opelika and, they took a shuttle back yesterday. Easy/peasy.
Good to know. I rebooked our flights today for early morning flights, one stop in Chicago. How bad is the airport to maneuver to make the connecting flight.? We have 45 minutes. It will be great if we exit and enter the next plane at the same or nearby gates.

Old 07-10-2022, 02:25 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,785 times
Direct flight to Atlanta and then take Groome Shuttle. May work for you depending upon connection time and fare difference. Search Groome Transportation for details.

Old 07-10-2022, 02:51 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,904,858 times
For those of you who may not know, Columbus, GA, (CSG) offers direct flights between Columbus and Charlotte, as well as direct flights between Columbus and Dallas-Ft Worth on American Airlines. Delta also serves Columbus via Atlanta.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:48 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Good to know. I rebooked our flights today for early morning flights, one stop in Chicago. How bad is the airport to maneuver to make the connecting flight.? We have 45 minutes. It will be great if we exit and enter the next plane at the same or nearby gates.
ATL is not bad to connect. If your flight is on time, 45 minutes shouldn't be a big problem. If your connecting flight isn't in the same terminal that you arrive in, there is a train that connects the six or so terminals so you don't have to walk super far. If you are just one terminal away, walking is no big deal. If more than one terminal away, you will save significant time taking the "Plane Train"

Old 07-23-2022, 05:33 AM

21 posts, read 37,658 times
Quote:
Family is in Tuscaloosa.
But the car rental is cheap enough there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama