Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 02:07 PM

9 posts, read 12,549 times

Advertisements

Beginning today (January 1st, 2023), Alabama becomes the latest state to allow people to carry a concealed handgun without a state permit that requires a background check. The new state law ends the requirement for a person to get a permit to legally carry a concealed handgun in public.

Last edited by Janet Maria; 01-01-2023 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 03:32 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Maria View Post
Beginning today (January 1st, 2023), Alabama becomes the latest state to allow people to carry a concealed handgun without a state permit that requires a background check. The new state law ends the requirement for a person to get a permit to legally carry a concealed handgun in public.
Folks in Alabama have been able to Open Carry for many years. Yes I know you are talking about concealed carry.

Old 01-01-2023, 03:32 PM

4,842 posts, read 3,270,079 times
I'm all for concealed (or unconcealed) carry... but I simply don't understand why people are so against a background check.

I know what the Constitutional argument is, but the reality is that we've got probably 325,000 million more folks than were around in the late 1700s. And a helluva lot of them aren't all altogether 'there' mentally. Whether it's a 'right' or not, those people shouldn't be carrying a weapon. Some percentage of them might be singed out with even the simplest of background checks.

Old 01-01-2023, 04:24 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I'm all for concealed (or unconcealed) carry... but I simply don't understand why people are so against a background check.

I know what the Constitutional argument is, but the reality is that we've got probably 325,000 million more folks than were around in the late 1700s. And a helluva lot of them aren't all altogether 'there' mentally. Whether it's a 'right' or not, those people shouldn't be carrying a weapon. Some percentage of them might be singed out with even the simplest of background checks.
Well your elected representatives decided to go with the law as written. They deemed a background check wasn’t necessary.

Old 01-01-2023, 06:52 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Well your elected representatives decided to go with the law as written. They deemed a background check wasn’t necessary.
And they were wrong.

Old 01-01-2023, 07:02 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,794,780 times
I guess we’ll see soon enough.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:58 PM

9 posts, read 12,549 times
Rights vs. Privileges in consideration of them being either Earned, Unearned and/or Conditional are a keystone of our modern society. Arguably politicised, the Objective vs. Subjective qualifications of them ensure the pot will always be stirred.

Old 01-02-2023, 08:47 PM

27 posts, read 22,152 times
Not arguing whether or not a concealed carry permit should be required. Just stating that if one has the choice, they might consider opting for obtaining the permit because: 1) if the law is written the same as the Arizona law, then having a concealed carry permit serves as the background check for buying a firearm 2) If you intend to carry a weapon across state lines, reciprocity is offered by many (most?) states with your Alabama permit being recognized as valid in those states 3) in the event you do wind up in front of a jury due to using your firearm for self defense, I spoke with an attorney who said he knew personally of one case where the fact that the defendant had a permit resulted in his acquittal - the jury viewed him more favorably as he had gone to the trouble to take the training required to get the permit. Again not arguing for or against, or jury's decision making in the case I mentioned, just stating why it might be a good idea to get the permit.

Old 01-03-2023, 06:56 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
What difference does this law make other than the local county Sheriff offices do not get to charge for permits and do background checks on law abiding citizens? I really don't recall a time I have read that a gang member, armed robber or car jacker, said he couldn't bring a gun because he did not have a permit. Seriously, the concealed carry permit was really just another way to tax law abiding citizens while criminals still did what criminals do.

Old 01-03-2023, 07:53 AM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Concealed carry permit was always unconstitutional. Nothing but another way for the state to exercise control over the citizens.

Unfortunately, since many neighboring states including Florida which I visit frequently do not have constitutional carry protections, I still have to keep my permit renewed if I want to carry out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama