Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 08:43 AM

976 posts, read 2,682,097 times

Advertisements

https://www.al.com/news/2023/07/alab...to-survey.html

Texas tops the list. So, if Texas takes the number one spot for worst state to live and work. Hey, I'm happy Alabama made the list. But the factors that give these states the top spot are a host of reasons that are tied to politics. I mean these rankings include reproductive rights and inclusiveness. LOL!!!! I think Alabamians should take this as a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 10:50 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,835,336 times
I'm also glad we made the list. Would not have hurt my feelings if we would have been number 1 on that list. LOL

That garbage survey without a doubt was produced with an agenda pushing slant. I don't know how anyone would not be able to see that. I find it amusing that some of the states in the top 10 also just happen to be the states that are seeing a large influx of people moving in from the states that survey would consider the good states to live. There isn't a very large percentage of people that consider "inclusiveness" an important item on their list when they are considering moving. Availability of good jobs, low cost of living and access to shopping, dining and activities are sort of the important things in life.

Old 07-19-2023, 11:31 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I'm also glad we made the list. Would not have hurt my feelings if we would have been number 1 on that list. LOL

That garbage survey without a doubt was produced with an agenda pushing slant. I don't know how anyone would not be able to see that. I find it amusing that some of the states in the top 10 also just happen to be the states that are seeing a large influx of people moving in from the states that survey would consider the good states to live. There isn't a very large percentage of people that consider "inclusiveness" an important item on their list when they are considering moving. Availability of good jobs, low cost of living and access to shopping, dining and activities are sort of the important things in life.
It depends on who you are. Jobs, cost of living, and access to shopping are certainly big factors. As for inclusiveness, that really depends. If you're Black, inclusiveness will be something you think about.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It depends on who you are. Jobs, cost of living, and access to shopping are certainly big factors. As for inclusiveness, that really depends. If you're Black, inclusiveness will be something you think about.
I'm black but I guess you speak for all black people. Anyway, I'm more concern about homelessness, crime and health of the economy!! Inclusiveness can go a number of directions. The last thing a black person coming to Alabama has to worry about is inclusiveness. We got like 10 HBCU'S, majority black ran counties and cities. The race thing is getting wore out. I think they are talking about the Dylan Mulvaney's of the world. Which is fine if they don't want to come and live. But stop using black people as your trojan horse.

Old 07-19-2023, 06:54 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I will say that worker rights suck in Alabama. I have my own horror story on that. There is no way I would live in either Texas or Oklahoma, and I recognize the politics here is ... "special"... in a Dana Carvy way, but overall, yeah, that was a slanted ranking.

Old 07-20-2023, 06:25 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Quote:
They definitely are not referring to race with that survey. If you didn't check it out, take a peek. It is all rainbows and Dylans in the included pictures.

Old 07-20-2023, 07:50 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,388 times
Quote:
Right. I have worked a few jobs here as the only black guy or two in the office and some of these environments are straight up terrible. There has been so many times my white co-workers could not wait to talk about their enthusiasm for Trump out of the blue. I mean I always did my best to not talk politics at work and these folks would randomly bring up their conservative views to me in my face. This was on Federal Government job sites where I was told people are supposed to not talk politics.

To me it was just their form of racial microaggressions knowing that good and well the chances of me being conservative are pretty low. Personally I was not bothered by it because my mentality was I am just here to get paid!!

Old 07-20-2023, 07:51 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
I'm black but I guess you speak for all black people. Anyway, I'm more concern about homelessness, crime and health of the economy!! Inclusiveness can go a number of directions. The last thing a black person coming to Alabama has to worry about is inclusiveness. We got like 10 HBCU'S, majority black ran counties and cities. The race thing is getting wore out. I think they are talking about the Dylan Mulvaney's of the world. Which is fine if they don't want to come and live. But stop using black people as your trojan horse.
I'm Black and I've actually dealt with racism myself (in Georgia in particular. I was living in the suburbs).. And alot of Black people with money are going to settle in suburban areas, not the city proper. Birmingham and Montgomery are losing population.

Like I said, it depends. There are still places where people are crazy enough to fly Confederate flags.

Last edited by green_mariner; 07-20-2023 at 09:00 AM..

Old 07-20-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I'm Black and I've actually dealt with racism myself (in Georgiain particular. I was living in the suburbs).. And alot of Black people with money are going to settle in suburban areas, not the city proper. Birmingham and Montgomery are losing population.

Like I said, it depends. There are still places where people are crazy enough to fly Confederate flags.
Why don't you guys move to state where you can feel more comfortable? LA is losing population especially black people. Or you can start your own company.

Old 07-20-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Right. I have worked a few jobs here as the only black guy or two in the office and some of these environments are straight up terrible. There has been so many times my white co-workers could not wait to talk about their enthusiasm for Trump out of the blue. I mean I always did my best to not talk politics at work and these folks would randomly bring up their conservative views to me in my face. This was on Federal Government job sites where I was told people are supposed to not talk politics.

To me it was just their form of racial microaggressions knowing that good and well the chances of me being conservative are pretty low. Personally I was not bothered by it because my mentality was I am just here to get paid!!
Why don't you guys move to state where you can feel more comfortable? LA is losing population especially black people. Or you can start your own company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama