Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 10:53 AM

976 posts, read 2,693,811 times

Advertisements

https://www.al.com/opinion/2023/07/g...a-we-know.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 11:06 AM

12,911 posts, read 9,168,707 times
I live up in Tennessee, but don't knock if the New Yorkers and Californians don't want to move to Alabama. Let them in the door and they will ruin you state just like they have their own. They drive prices up to make it hard for locals to afford to buy a home. They leave the state where they don't like living under the rules they voted for and then try to change the new state to live under the same rules they just left.

We spent half my career in Colorado and watched what happened as the moved there. And now watching them do the same thing around Nashville here in Tennessee. Don't encourage them or you'll regret it.

Old 07-28-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I live up in Tennessee, but don't knock if the New Yorkers and Californians don't want to move to Alabama. Let them in the door and they will ruin you state just like they have their own. They drive prices up to make it hard for locals to afford to buy a home. They leave the state where they don't like living under the rules they voted for and then try to change the new state to live under the same rules they just left.

We spent half my career in Colorado and watched what happened as the moved there. And now watching them do the same thing around Nashville here in Tennessee. Don't encourage them or you'll regret it.
That's true. I think many people on this forum want population increases, but should be careful what they wish for.

Old 07-28-2023, 11:43 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,603,429 times
I am not saying Alabama is the absolute worst state to work in, but the state routinely ranks among the poorest states in the nation and is one of the worst states regarding employee protections. Of course Helena Duncan is going to say what she said, because she works on behalf of the business community, it is in her best interest to say what she said!!

Old 07-28-2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
I am not saying Alabama is the absolute worst state to work in, but the state routinely ranks among the poorest states in the nation and is one of the worst states regarding employee protections. Of course Helena Duncan is going to say what she said, because she works on behalf of the business community, it is in her best interest to say what she said!!
You're moving the goal post because it don't fit the narrative you have been fed.

Old 07-28-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
You're moving the goal post because it don't fit the narrative you have been fed.
Like the pot calling the kettle black. It is no narrative I have been "fed", but more like the reality of the situation. Like I stated earlier, she works on behalf of the businesses I mean she is the President and CEO of Business Council of Alabama, and how workers feel about their jobs is the least of her concerns. The first thing she is going to do in this situation is fire back and save face. I would not be surprised if they gave her a little something on the side to come out and say that. It reminds me of a job I had where HR had an investigation about how management was breaking all kinds of labor laws. During that faux "investigation" they were trying to persuade us into saying things were not as bad as they actually were!!

Old 07-28-2023, 12:47 PM

13,115 posts, read 9,667,083 times
Quote:
Do you live/work in Alabama? I spent my entire career here and it was, and presumably still is (I'm retired), a fantastic place to live and work.

Old 07-28-2023, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Do you live/work in Alabama? I spent my entire career here and it was, and presumably still is (I'm retired), a fantastic place to live and work.
Yes I do live and work in this state. I notice you have Madison County as your listed location. From my experience folks having office jobs in Madison County are not going to notice these things as much. The economic and employment situation here is way better than the state as a whole, so I am sure people here have a different perspective about this. Even with that I have worked at places here that broke all kinds of labor violations left and right without caring they did. With that being said, as I stated earlier, Alabama is routinely one of the worse states regarding employee protections. That is a huge reason a lot of these plants love coming here!!

Old 07-29-2023, 06:10 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,924,478 times
Quote:
Yes I do live and work in this state. I notice you have Madison County as your listed location. From my experience folks having office jobs in Madison County are not going to notice these things as much. The economic and employment situation here is way better than the state as a whole, so I am sure people here have a different perspective about this. Even with that I have worked at places here that broke all kinds of labor violations left and right without caring they did. With that being said, as I stated earlier, Alabama is routinely one of the worse states regarding employee protections. That is a huge reason a lot of these plants love coming here!!
OK, instead of throwing mud, throw some facts out there on exactly WHAT Alabama avoids in worker protection?
Right to work laws, don't go there as that is actually protection for the employee!

Old 07-29-2023, 06:41 AM

11,339 posts, read 18,977,687 times
Quote:

Without implying anything, I wonder if her apparently being a "conservative of color" means she sides with DeSantis on the new AA history curriculum or with Tim Scott and Byron Donalds. There's being conservative and there's taking it to bad extremes just like they correctly accuse the most extreme elements of the left doing (one way I try to put it so people understand the issue better and what is wrong with it even if the rest of the curriculum is sound is what if that was implied about labor camps with Holocaust education?)

Anyway the reason I say it is she's wrong about that a state's far far right abortion stance shouldn't be a factor in the rankings. Thanks to the extreme AL and some other states took it and the trans stuff there are now a significant amount of people who would NEVER relocate for a job there so it's a factor, I know some people who quit solid jobs they did for 10 or 20 years and moved from Florida (and from relatively liberal South Florida to boot) for just these reasons. There's a big difference between cutting it to 12 or 15 weeks (like ironically most of liberal western Europe does) and having complete exceptions for rape and incest (the real concern most have as well as doctors being afraid to treat "life of the mother" situations as opposed to the general extent it's allowed) vs how this is playing out (I mention trans but am mostly focusing on abortion because it's part of the article and far more people would move over that than over trans).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama