Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 06:13 AM

464 posts, read 1,741,776 times

Advertisements

It looks like we are all correct on Redneck : Redneck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Scrolling down to the very bottom of this site, it looks like the term is even used (or related to) , in other Countries. The entire world is filled with...Rednecks ! lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 06:07 AM

...and Rednecks can be very creative folks too ! : Redneck Air Conditioner

Old 08-19-2008, 06:28 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDayNow View Post
I'm from the South and I have always considered the term "redneck" more descriptive of a mindset than a physical characteristic. I'm enjoying the discussion of the term.
That's spot on and what I meant by "NY redneck". It's the mindset and characteristics that some people show. Lower class, blue collar, pick up truck driving, drinking budweiser, rural attitude, living in a run down house, etc.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:30 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfree View Post
...I grabbed some info Wiki.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
It looks like we are all correct on Redneck : Redneck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Ah yes....we all know how accurate Wikipedia can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
That's spot on and what I meant by "NY redneck". It's the mindset and characteristics that some people show. Lower class, blue collar, pick up truck driving, drinking budweiser, rural attitude, living in a run down house, etc.
Budweiser? My good man, please refer to the "redneck birthday cake" photo above. The redneck beer of choice is generally PBR, Dixie, Iron City...any of a plethora of regionally produced brews. But it's usually not Budweiser. Bud is too refined for most rednecks.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:01 AM

247 posts, read 1,115,537 times
Being born and raised in Alabama I'm very familiar with rednecks and the redneck stereotype. A few years ago my wife and I were on our honeymoon in New England. I never expected to find rednecks there. One thing I like to do when we visit new towns is to have a drink at the local pubs, I've found that that's the best way to meet local people and to find out what the place is really like. We pulled into Waterbury Vermont and I noticed a little place with a green and white awning called the Waterbury Pub. When we went in I was surprised. These folks were every bit as "redneck" as any that I knew of in Alabama. The looks, the attitude, the behavior, everything except the accent. It was very much a redneck bar. I was also surprised at the popularity of country music in New England, we heard it played in restaurants, stores and bars in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:49 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipLib View Post
Being born and raised in Alabama I'm very familiar with rednecks and the redneck stereotype. A few years ago my wife and I were on our honeymoon in New England. I never expected to find rednecks there. One thing I like to do when we visit new towns is to have a drink at the local pubs, I've found that that's the best way to meet local people and to find out what the place is really like. We pulled into Waterbury Vermont and I noticed a little place with a green and white awning called the Waterbury Pub. When we went in I was surprised. These folks were every bit as "redneck" as any that I knew of in Alabama. The looks, the attitude, the behavior, everything except the accent. It was very much a redneck bar. I was also surprised at the popularity of country music in New England, we heard it played in restaurants, stores and bars in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont.
Waterbury Pub? Must be new. The "rednecks" used to hang out at the (duckpin) bowling alley and the legion hall. The bowling alley is long gone. Not sure what the fate of the legion hall is or was. The redneck brew of choice was Carling Black Label, one of the most inconsistent beers you could ever buy. Sometimes it was foul, sometimes fantastic. However, Waterbury was civilized. The REAL rough rednecks were in the underpopulated northeast kingdom, with a few of them in the Duxbury and Lincoln Gap area. Don't confuse the redneck attitude of some less educated Vermonters with the similar attitude of the real woodsmen who live in the state, like the arguably best family of deer hunters ever to track a deer, the Benoits. I went to school with Lance and Larry. His dad was a great hunter, but Lance literally wrote the book on tracking the big ones. On the first, or rarely the second day of deer season, their home would always have some of the biggest bucks you could imagine hanging on the front porch curing the meat, one for each member of the family, women included. One year Lance was out of school for a couple of weeks and we wondered if he was sick. Turned out he had gone to Maine and had been tracking his prize for about ten days in nasty November weather. Needless to say, he got it.

I have a friend who works at the IBM plant in Essex Junction, and from his reports, there is a thriving community of rednecks working there, making computer chips.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:06 PM

116 posts, read 524,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I'm telling ya, it has nothing to do with pickup trucks, beer choice (other than the cheap stuff), or living in the country. The defining feature is outlook on life.

I live near a large city and I will just about guarentee you that there are more rednecks per square mile here than any rural area and none of them could tell you that anything is inconsistent with Chic-fil-a using Holstein cows in their adds.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:43 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I know the definition of redneck is a proud one but sadly has become a way to putdown others.

I like to confuse people.....
I like NASCAR and Broadway Shows.
I like going to a real Pig Roast and can dine at a 5 star restaurant and know which fork and glass to use when.
We own a pickup truck, and use it, a hybrid SUV and a Harley.
I have leather jackets and furs.
I have friends that live in a trailor and ones in Ilsworth(BIG BUCKS)
I have relatives that live the biker lifestyle and ones that have played Carnegie Hall.

Some described here to me are trailor trash and others are good ol boys. I'll take a good old boy over a city slicker any day.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:37 PM

'I know the definition of redneck is a proud one but sadly has become a way to putdown others'

REPLY: I dont know how proud the term is ; ive never heard a person say they are a Redneck even if they know they are one.... whether it be todays typical and popular stereotype , or if they have redness from working out in fields. But then again, i live in the North (for the time being). Do southern Rednecks say they are one if they are ? Just wondering..

Old 08-20-2008, 05:11 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
'I know the definition of redneck is a proud one but sadly has become a way to putdown others'

REPLY: I dont know how proud the term is ; ive never heard a person say they are a Redneck even if they know they are one.... whether it be todays typical and popular stereotype , or if they have redness from working out in fields. But then again, i live in the North (for the time being). Do southern Rednecks say they are one if they are ? Just wondering..

Yes, quite often they do. It seems that Jeff Foxworthy has helped many rednecks come out of the redneck closet. When I was younger no one ever admitted it, now it's common to see people with the wor "REDNECK" on T shirts, hats and on bumper stickers.
Here's a good example of redneck pride, and by the way, Gretchen Wilson is from Illinois.

YouTube - Gretchen Wilson - Redneck Woman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of: