Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 05:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,156 times

Advertisements

Hi we are considering moving to Alabama from NYC. We can no longer make ends meet up here, and want a nice place to raise our children.

No I have never been in the South, unless you count Virginia as the South.
We are looking for place that has:

Has friendly people!
Liberal area
Shopping nearby
Great restaurants
Children friendly
Good Internet and cable services (My job is online so this is a must!)
Excellent school system
We are basically looking for a nice, clean community. We would prefer to live in Eastern Alabama, so we could drive into Atlanta on the weekends. At least no longer than a 3-4 hour drive to Atlanta.

About Us
We are a multiracial family. My husband is white, from Texas. I am black from Virginia. We have 2 beautiful children (twins) both are 8 years old. My cousin who is gay will also be moving with us. We haven't had any problems in NYC and hopefully we will have no problems down here. I have been working at home ever since we had kids. My husband is Chef. Has 9 years of experience in the field. My cousin does not plan to live here forever, he will be moving to California for college next year.

Our budget is $500,000. (We want lots of acreage around 25 or so). My husband would like to teach our children horseback riding. We never had the room to do this in NYC! I think this would be an exciting for our kids. My husband owns about 5 horses, all in Texas at the moment.

Any information about towns in Alabama that fit this criteria would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 08:42 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,792 times
For North AL properties, use valleymls.com. After you zoomed in on the property,then use greatschools.net, or schooldigger.com to get a feel for the schools. It's easier to go this way, because $500k -25 acre would take you out of a good-size city (Hsv). Urban farms (acreage) come well over $2M. So, for that acreage (and horses), you need to go in the count(r)y.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:43 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Huntsville, Alabama.

Lots to do, healthy economy, very low taxes, excellent (and I mean excellent) schools, affordable housing, lots of jobs (which makes the economy healthy), no traffic, Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham, Chattanooga all an easy drive. Lots of people from all over the country so in that sense diverse (but not ethnically diverse; about 60/40 white/black, not many other ethnic groups). Very high tech, technical population. Not excessively liberal (whatever that really means) but not too extreme in any direction, though there are a lot of ex-military and engineer types - not a bad thing. Very church going (if that is important to you - but it is the south - sort of).

Pictures of Huntsville

Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
You won't find an area in Alabama where all of your neighbors are liberal like in NYC. You may find a more "centrist" area, but not liberal. Even democrats in Alabama will seem conservative to most New Yorkers.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:56 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
You have to be more realistic in your expectations. Seriously.

"Our budget is $500,000. (We want lots of acreage around 25 or so). "
"Liberal area
Shopping nearby
Great restaurants"

I've been around, and I've NEVER seen a place in Alabama or anywhere else where you can get 25 acres for $500K and have shopping nearby and great restaurant(s). Developers and speculators would snap such land up in a heartbeat. Also, I can just about guarantee that when you go rural, you will NOT find liberals in great numbers. You might in parts of Vermont and California and Oregon, but the land prices would floor you.

Eastern Alabama is already beginning to be bedroom to some of the outlying parts around Atlanta. I'm guessing you have family in Atlanta, because otherwise B'ham is a lot easier to navigate and has the city development.

If the five horses will be moving as well, you will need some land. Ten acres would be about right I think, since much of Texas doesn't grow stuff like more humid Alabama. I'm thinking the Dothan area might be somewhat of a fit. Birmingham area is too expensive, and Huntsville is a trek to Atlanta.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:03 AM

4 posts, read 13,416 times
mobile is always a great place to live!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystiquebabe View Post

We have 2 beautiful children (twins) both are 8 years old.

(We want lots of acreage around 25 or so).

My husband would like to teach our children horseback riding.

My husband owns about 5 horses, all in Texas at the moment.
I don't know too much about horses, barns, and acreage required to keep five horses. One thing that did stand out was having kids on a large property like that. Chances are if you do find a suitable property or close to it (10 or 15 acres), the other properties around it will also be large properties. If this is the case, you might end up with bored kids. Kids want to play with other kids. In communities where there are large lots there is a) low kid density, and b) a good chance that your neighbors don't have kids, maybe they are retired.

I don't know if there is a perfect solution, but be aware life on a large lot with a lack of neighbor kids could be quite a challenge.

Your kids might be bored to death. Playdates are a hassle. Most kids would rather play with the neighborhood kids 50 feet away rather than 1/3 mile away.

You may be the exceptions but living on large lots may be nice for you as adults - but your kids won't dig on it. First of all, the "neighborhood kid" density will be low since the homes will be spread out. Your kids want to play with other kids, play ball in the street, spontaneously hang out and goof off. With young kids, you'd hesitate to let them travel by themselves 1/3 mile or so to the nearest house. Kids are sort of isolated. Play dates sort work but they are a big hassle.

Finally, the typical guy who owns large lots (your neighbors) is retired, has no kids, and only leaves his house to go to church, go to the doctor, or eat at Bob Evans.

Your kids will want this:

"Mommy, there's nothing to do. Are you sure you called everyone for a play date?"

Old 03-13-2010, 09:57 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystiquebabe View Post
Hi we are considering moving to Alabama from NYC. We can no longer make ends meet up here, and want a nice place to raise our children.

No I have never been in the South, unless you count Virginia as the South.
We are looking for place that has:

Has friendly people!
Liberal area
Shopping nearby
Great restaurants
Children friendly
Good Internet and cable services (My job is online so this is a must!)
Excellent school system
We are basically looking for a nice, clean community. We would prefer to live in Eastern Alabama, so we could drive into Atlanta on the weekends. At least no longer than a 3-4 hour drive to Atlanta.

About Us
We are a multiracial family. My husband is white, from Texas. I am black from Virginia. We have 2 beautiful children (twins) both are 8 years old. My cousin who is gay will also be moving with us. We haven't had any problems in NYC and hopefully we will have no problems down here. I have been working at home ever since we had kids. My husband is Chef. Has 9 years of experience in the field. My cousin does not plan to live here forever, he will be moving to California for college next year.

Our budget is $500,000. (We want lots of acreage around 25 or so). My husband would like to teach our children horseback riding. We never had the room to do this in NYC! I think this would be an exciting for our kids. My husband owns about 5 horses, all in Texas at the moment.

Any information about towns in Alabama that fit this criteria would be helpful.
hahahahaha! is this a joke? A interracial couple with a gay cousin moving to Alabama?
It sounds like the Beverly Hillibillies in reverse! Oh your gay cousin will love Alabamy!
If you want "liberal" it's called Interstate 10 which is the fastest way out to Florida! At least nobody here gives a crap what church you go to or who you are married too!
Good luck!

quick question? what is a "Bob Evans?"

Old 03-13-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
quick question? what is a "Bob Evans?"
Let me google that for you

Old 03-13-2010, 10:47 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,891 times
Another option if you want the options of the city but still want to enjoy rural life and horses is to buy horses and keep them at a communal stable. I know some people that do that. They can enjoy living in a neighborhood with their kids, and then drive out on afternoons or weekends to ride their horses.

Charles' recommendation of Huntsville is good, although I wouldn't say it has "great" restaurants compared to NYC, there are decent restaurants.

I can't say enough about living in a neighborhood. Unlike NYC there are a LOT of kids at home in the afternoons. There really is a community atmosphere in the neighborhood and it has been an absolute blast for my kids.

Harry is also right about your expectations. There is going to be a trade off no matter where you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama