Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 6,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
hey
i'm looking for a small town in alabama that hasnt seen to many people relocating
thats non metropolitan and more laidback thats open to an outsider thats not looking to change anything
i would need an apartment that has rent for no more than $500 a month
that would be hiring in bars/diners
is in driving distance to a city/bigger town
that has stuff to do for children my daughter will be 2 when we move and for me i'll be 23 soon and i'm a single mom
maybe has a public pool,lake for swimmingalso looking for a place thats big on church
and has good daycare and babysitting
and thats safe for children i liked opelika but i read the crime was higher than most parts of alabama

thanks in advance for any help
You may want to look at Tallassee AL. they have everything you are looking for its about a 20 min. drive to Auburn, same amount to Montgomery its on Hwy 14. Very little crime only 2 to 3 police officers on duty at a time no need for more and sometimes thats 2 to many( I know,I was a cop there) lake Martin actually seperates the town in two so you have plenty of lakeside to swim, public pool, average rent for apt. 300-360 per month including utilities. has 7 or 8 different churches population 4-5 thousand that includes all the rual area. Decent school system and from what iv´e seen plenty of babysitting jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 12:49 PM

6 posts, read 27,291 times
Hoove is a big town but it seems like you still want that hometown feel I would suggest to you to check out Alabaster it is up and growing by leaps and bounds each and everyday

Old 05-18-2007, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 6,195 times
Default Finding a small town

If you're looking for a christian-based town, I'd try the Valley (Lanett) area. You are central to Auburn and Opelika as previously suggested - 30 mins away, Phenix City, AL & Columbus,GA are within an hour away, West Point, GA is right down the street. Because it is centralized, there are a lot of options for your employment & your child's entertainment. Laid back town was originally a "Mill Town" - in other words, the economy has been based on textiles, however now it is mostly based on retirees and commuters. LaGrange, GA is less than an hour and Atlanta, GA is within 2 hours.

And while Auburn & Opelika are larger towns the rent is also larger... In Valley, you can get either a house or trailer on a nice lot of land for the same monthly amount as an apartment in the bigger cities. Also, there is the possibility of you buying a home of your own. If your credit is in good shape the USDA Rural Housing Development (Gov't program) offers homebuying assistance in the form of the 502 loan. The loan is also subsidized on your income every year so it (your mortgage payment) decreases if your income is less and increases as your pay increases. I couldn't have bought my home 6 years ago without it. A great stepping stone.

Hope this helps!!

Old 05-19-2007, 04:43 AM

660 posts, read 2,441,272 times
thankyou all for your suggestions
does anyone no more about tallassee and for follow-thruvalley
any information about how much i would pay in rent how safe the areas are and for jobs that i listed
thanks again
Quote:
Originally Posted by followthru View Post
If you're looking for a christian-based town, I'd try the Valley (Lanett) area. You are central to Auburn and Opelika as previously suggested - 30 mins away, Phenix City, AL & Columbus,GA are within an hour away, West Point, GA is right down the street. Because it is centralized, there are a lot of options for your employment & your child's entertainment. Laid back town was originally a "Mill Town" - in other words, the economy has been based on textiles, however now it is mostly based on retirees and commuters. LaGrange, GA is less than an hour and Atlanta, GA is within 2 hours.

And while Auburn & Opelika are larger towns the rent is also larger... In Valley, you can get either a house or trailer on a nice lot of land for the same monthly amount as an apartment in the bigger cities. Also, there is the possibility of you buying a home of your own. If your credit is in good shape the USDA Rural Housing Development (Gov't program) offers homebuying assistance in the form of the 502 loan. The loan is also subsidized on your income every year so it (your mortgage payment) decreases if your income is less and increases as your pay increases. I couldn't have bought my home 6 years ago without it. A great stepping stone.

Hope this helps!!

Old 05-23-2007, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 6,157 times
You Need To Check Out Mcintosh Alabama In Washington County It Is So Peaceful And Quiet Here My Parents And All Their Brothers And Sisters Grew Up Here All Their Lives And So Have I, I Love It Too Death Here It Is An Relly Great Place To Raise Children In All Of My Cousions That Stay In The City Mobile To Be Exact Say That They Love It Here And My Little Neice's Grandmother Runs A Really Good Daycare Center She Teaches The Children Their Abc's And Numbers Before They Were Two Years Old And We Do Have Alot Of Churches Around Here We Don't Have Any Apartments But U Can Rent Houses But The Nearest Place That Has Apartments Is In A Place Called Chickasaw Alabama It Is In The Sarahland And Prichard City Limits But As Far As Like Clubbing And Partying My Sister Knows Where To Go I Don't(lol)

Old 11-12-2007, 02:23 PM

4 posts, read 17,639 times
i stayed in valley for a while with my sis, and its a very frendily town, ots of churches ,opelika isnt but about 20 min. drive,i worked there and the now there building up some but the town of valley is nice and it has a big area for like pool and other things , the and good place for children , can sleep with doors unlocked and never worryed about anything. they got lakes, and right around the corner is west point and they got new plants coming in, its booming but not in the valley area slow growth and away from lots of crime, .real nice area therye phenix city and auburn for places and things to do. good luck

Old 11-13-2007, 12:07 PM

629 posts, read 3,598,832 times
How about Troy, Al........

Old 03-19-2008, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 15,480 times
Hi,
I have a family run upscale restaurant and bar in Eufaula, AL. We have moved here from MN. Eufaula is a great town, not to big, not to small. Lots of churches with daycares and a great family lifestyle. It is situated on a large lake and is 2 hour from Panama City, FL. Call us if you are interested, we are going to be hiring a new waitress because my niece is having a baby the end of April and won't be coming back for a long time.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-20-2008 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: you don't want to put your name or phone #.. send DM

Old 03-20-2008, 07:35 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
I'm not the OP, but I will say Valley and Tallassee sound like places worth considering for retirees also.

Good location and things to do, yet small .

Old 03-20-2008, 11:21 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Hey guys, this thread is a year old. The OP actually posted the same thing in a bunch of different states' forums. Her last post was in January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama