Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:52 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,456 times

Advertisements

A few weekends ago I had the chance to make it over to my local Blockbuster Store and stumbled upon the movie Fried Green Tomatoes which I believe won several Academy Awards.

The movie was a study of human character, a blend of childhood nostalgia, and a story of inequality, struggle, change and progress. I felt the movie was exceptionally well done and the filming location/settings were gorgeous.

One thing I particularly enjoyed was the small community of friendships, respect, enjoyment of life, and the simplicity and goodness for the most part of the folks who lived there. Even the black folks got along very well with the white people although their treatment by legal authorities and the visit by Klan members was quite frightening.

Does this sort of element still exist in modern Alabama? Or has it been replaced by the individualistic fight for a parking spot souls that so riled Kathy Bates outside the Winn Dixie?

I am looking at several law schools down here and will be visiting in April -- Samford, Ole Miss, and Mississippi College. A sort of idealist and gentleman myself I hope to be pleasantly surprised coming from a more hectic and pushy sort of place (Chicagoland). While I realize nothing will be perfect, I invite all of you to share your Fried Green Tomato nostalgia or paint a portrait of modern day Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 09:59 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post

...and the filming location/settings were gorgeous.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that movie was filmed in and around Juliette, Georgia.

Last edited by Figment 07; 03-11-2007 at 10:45 PM..

Old 03-11-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment 07 View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that movie was filmed in and around Juliette, Georgia.
I am well aware of that fact but the film was based on Fannie Flagg's novel based on her childhood experience growing up in Alabama and the Whistle Stop Cafe was fashioned around a restaurant that her aunt used to own along a train line as in the book.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:49 PM

All true.

I'm just pointing out that Alabama is beautiful and Georgia is gorgeous.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:26 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I've eaten at the "Whistle Stop," which is more properly called the Irondale Cafe. It sits at one end of the Norris Yard on the east end of Birmingham, and you can watch the trains come and go as you eat. The food is good southern cooking at good prices. They have a website with some of the recipies and a picture or two.

When Fannie Flagg was a child she also used to visit the projectionist of the Eastwood Theatre, which I later managed. The whole Eastwood shopping center was demolished a couple years ago, but it had a rather unique custom for a few years. On Friday and Saturday nights, kids from all the surrounding areas would drive into the parking lot, form two circles of cars around the buildings, one going one way, one in the opposite direction. They would then drive closely past each other very very slowly, flirting, speed dating, and saying hey to friends. The circles of cars were immense, and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if over a thousand cars were involved some nights.

They started a similar cruising circle at Hoover Square, but they caused too many problems in the small parking lot. I was able to stop the practice in less than a month with one cop and a few stategicly placed barracades. I kinda felt bad doing it, but business is business and the kids wouldn't listen.

Parts of Birmingham have changed a lot. Other parts retain some of the old flavor. We stopped last week at a shopping center on 280 (which used to be a 2 lane winding road) and it felt like we were in the middle of a Stepford Wives village, with all the upper middle class women in nearly identical blonde tresses, and being SO cosmopolitan by ignoring other people. The entire shopping center and road was in a basin surrounded by expensive "brow view" houses, and it was just plain freaky eerie being in that fishbowl. The Publix store even had the required women stopping carts in the middle of the aisles and blocking other customers (what is it about Publix that it ALWAYS happens in their stores?).

The Pig (Piggley Wiggley) in Homewood was much more normal. Southside has retained most of its flavor.

Once you get out in the country, you get more of a feel for the true south. Drivers wave as you drive down country roads, people smile and say hello in the stores, conversations start spontaniously between strangers. The country people might not be rich in money, but they live a richer life.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:32 AM

346 posts, read 1,778,780 times
Not everyone on 280 is a Greystone Soccer Mom:>) Please!!! Some managed to retain a grip on reality. I sure hope so:>)

Have you contacted local attorney groups? From a hiring stand point there seem to be preferences for grads of certain schools.

Divine Secrets of Ya Ya Sisterhood - have you seen it?

Old 03-13-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I've eaten at the "Whistle Stop," which is more properly called the Irondale Cafe. It sits at one end of the Norris Yard on the east end of Birmingham, and you can watch the trains come and go as you eat. The food is good southern cooking at good prices. They have a website with some of the recipies and a picture or two.

When Fannie Flagg was a child she also used to visit the projectionist of the Eastwood Theatre, which I later managed. The whole Eastwood shopping center was demolished a couple years ago, but it had a rather unique custom for a few years. On Friday and Saturday nights, kids from all the surrounding areas would drive into the parking lot, form two circles of cars around the buildings, one going one way, one in the opposite direction. They would then drive closely past each other very very slowly, flirting, speed dating, and saying hey to friends. The circles of cars were immense, and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if over a thousand cars were involved some nights.

They started a similar cruising circle at Hoover Square, but they caused too many problems in the small parking lot. I was able to stop the practice in less than a month with one cop and a few stategicly placed barracades. I kinda felt bad doing it, but business is business and the kids wouldn't listen.

Parts of Birmingham have changed a lot. Other parts retain some of the old flavor. We stopped last week at a shopping center on 280 (which used to be a 2 lane winding road) and it felt like we were in the middle of a Stepford Wives village, with all the upper middle class women in nearly identical blonde tresses, and being SO cosmopolitan by ignoring other people. The entire shopping center and road was in a basin surrounded by expensive "brow view" houses, and it was just plain freaky eerie being in that fishbowl. The Publix store even had the required women stopping carts in the middle of the aisles and blocking other customers (what is it about Publix that it ALWAYS happens in their stores?).

The Pig (Piggley Wiggley) in Homewood was much more normal. Southside has retained most of its flavor.

Once you get out in the country, you get more of a feel for the true south. Drivers wave as you drive down country roads, people smile and say hello in the stores, conversations start spontaniously between strangers. The country people might not be rich in money, but they live a richer life.
Thanks Harry for your long detailed post. I'll be sure to make the Irondale Cafe a stop on my trip to Alabama. That was a great quote too about the country people thats part of my reasons for looking down south you can have your city and a 45 minute drive or less will put you out into the country.

Yes employers do like people from certain schools and there is strong regional hiring preferences.

Ole Miss = Memphis, Mississippi small towns and cities, most of Southeast
Mississippi College = Jackson, limited in Memphis, and strong placement involving rest of Southeast
Samford = Birmingham, State of Alabama, some in Atlanta, great in Southeast
University of Alabama is a great school too but I didnt have the scores for it.

A lawyer I work for now knows someone in a decent sized firm in Jackson, Mississippi. I think I will be in contact with him about choosing a school in any case and I have my visit in April to help me.

Never seen the Divine Sister thing. I love soccer and have played it for a number of years but not the mom thing. Why couldn't they call it hockey moms or give some other sport the bad rap lol

Old 03-13-2007, 06:38 AM

Good luck in your negotiations! Stay in touch.
Soccer moms - maybe becaue they are a notch above:>)

Old 03-13-2007, 01:55 PM

I think maybe I've been in Georgia too long. Seriously, I love Atlanta, but it's a competitive environment and easy to get caught up in all that without even seeing it happen.

Maybe I should move to Alabama instead of trying to move my aging parents back to Georgia!

I just re-read my posts and realized that I owe an apology for barging into this thread like one of those rude girls stealing Ms. Bate's parking space! Wallstreet1986 was quite the gentleman regardless. I'm sorry for the way I presented that irrelevant tidbit of information. This is a great topic. Carry on!

Old 03-13-2007, 02:32 PM

Go ahead - steal my spot. :>)
We are going through the aging parent issue. Have you considered their medical and social needs as well as your life - professional and personal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama