Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:07 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,489 times

Advertisements

My experience is that it is hard to get into the Huntsville schools without experience and then it can be difficult if you have too much experience because the pay is higher and schools trying to control budgets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 21,290 times
Go to www,alsde.edu (broken link) and you can find a link to all job posting in Alabama. I agree with getting a job in Huntsville. They are notorious for pink-slipping at the end of the year and then rehiring the people again in the fall to avoid giving their teachers tenure (just a rumor I have heard!) Alabama has really made some great strides in teacher's salaries. You can check Alabama Education Association information for members for the Alabama pay matrix. This will be my 5th year teaching with a Master's degree and this year I will make just over $45,000. One positive of Alabama over Georgia is that Alabama has the tenure system, Georgia does not.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:34 PM

37 posts, read 168,783 times
From what I have heard there is a need for teachers in N Alabama there is a a couple new schools and the growth here is rapid. As far as pay that I dont know, but keep in mind the cost of living is one of the lowest in the country.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 7,022 times
Hi! It is true that the pay is higher in Georgia, but as was said earlier, the cost of living is very low in AL. I was able to live comfortably there as a single on a beginning MA level teacher's salary. There have also been raises over the last 2-3 years which add up to about a 12% overall raise for teachers. I live in NJ now, where the teacher salaries are among the highest in the country, but the difference doesn't even begin to compensate for the cost of living.

Also, the teacher retirement program in AL is really good if you stick it out to the end of the 25 years, even better if you go for 30, but not so great if you hang it up before then.

The biggest problem with AL teacher salaries (and this is very opposite from where I live now) is that they are unbelievably front loaded. You pretty much get your last big raise after year three and your last even mentionable raise after year seven. It is a holding pattern after that.

Where I lived in Mobile before, I worked also as a tutor to students who were in other teacher's classes. I easily charged $35 an hour and could have charged more. There isn't much competition for tutors in getting clients in most fields.

Growth areas and nice places to teach are the Birmingham area (more expensive to live, but some of the schools pay more than minimums). There is plenty to do and see in that area, also, and it is nice that Atlanta is close by. The largest growth area in the state (and a big growth area for the country) is in Baldwin County. There are many good public schools there, and though it is further South than you stated you would like, the Eastern Shore especially and also the Gulf Coast are some of the most beautiful places to live in the state. Huntsville and Decatur are also nice areas of the state, but there isn't as much growth. I would stay away from Montgomery.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 11,267 times
Default Not so fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcgirl View Post
Alabama pays teachers horribly. Try Georgia. It has a far higher pay scale and needs good teachers. Georgia really promotes education. Check out the state base salaries of each state on the dept of eds websites.
I taught in Alabama for 29 years and am now teaching in Georgia. Yes, the pay is highter but the benefits stink. Georgia teachers are treated like slaves they have no rights. Teacher unions are non-existent. They are not ahead of Alabama in many places. The buildings are often run down. You must check carefully in any area you choose. I taught in Birmingham, which can be difficult, but I enjoyed most of my years there. I don't hate teaching in Georgia, but it is not all that it is promoted to be.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:33 PM

28 posts, read 141,678 times
I looked into starting to teach this year but it did not work out. I saw an ad for Hall County that advertised 34,500 for teachers. Starting in Bham and a couple of surrounding cities would have been about 33,000. In that case I didn't see that much of a difference.
How are benefits less?
How are you treated badly?

Old 09-06-2007, 12:25 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,418,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinerbean View Post
Huntsville and Decatur are also nice areas of the state, but there isn't as much growth.
Huntsville & Madison are the top growing areas of Alabama.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 5,864 times
What about teaching in Pike Co. (Troy)? How are the salaries there? Local supplements...?

Old 04-20-2010, 07:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,186 times
Default Help!

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I’ll be relocating to Huntsville, Al in a few months and I am interested in teaching. I currently have a BS in public relations with a minor in political science. I would like to lateral entry and teach social studies/history in either middle or high school. Does anyone have any advice on how to get started with this? Should I try to get my masters first? What tests do I need to take? Anything you wish you knew when you started the process? Anything would be GREATLY appreciated!![/SIZE][/FONT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama