Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Alabama City Is the Most Southern?
Huntsville 8 10.00%
Birmingham 4 5.00%
Montgomery 47 58.75%
Mobile 27 33.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:51 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times

Advertisements

To not put words in your mouth: what you are saying is that Alabama's accent is difficult to understand and is thicker than Mississippi and Georgia's accent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 02:45 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,764 times
I grew up in Mountain Brook and Hoover. In Birmingham, it kind of depends on where you are, but in Montgomery there is a noticeable Southern accent.

There have been many times when people have said something to the effect of, "Are you from up North?' or "You talk like you're from New York." And let me tell y'all New Yorkers and people from New Jersey have some major accents.

And my partner is from Atlanta and he definitely has an accent.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:01 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
That is funny - I have lived in NY most of my life, but people don't think I have a typical NY accent. I lived in MD for a bit as a kid, may not be southern to someone from Alabama, but for me it was very southern sounding. I picked up the accent very quickly and Y'all stayed with me until this day. I still say "workin my nerves" and every know and then I say "I'm fixin to do what ever". It took me a while to get rid of the "Law" for police. People had jokes on me for a while for that. Personally, I love the accent and notice immediately when I talk to my friends from MD, that I go right back to the twang I had when I was 15, even now at 33. Give me the country over the city life any day.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:29 PM

22 posts, read 83,466 times
Native White FLoridians have similar accents to GA and Alabama. The black folks sound similar to black folks in GA and Bama also. Even in South Florida, the native black folks have southern accents and southern slang. And whoever said they dont consider Florida a southern state can kiss my a**

Old 03-10-2009, 02:34 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Now Skinny, be nice! I think it is fair to say that most of the south part of Florida is not really considered southern, but the northern part definitely is. I wish South Florida was more southern - I would love it and not have a single hesitation about moving there.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:07 PM

976 posts, read 2,683,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny View Post
Native White FLoridians have similar accents to GA and Alabama. The black folks sound similar to black folks in GA and Bama also. Even in South Florida, the native black folks have southern accents and southern slang. And whoever said they dont consider Florida a southern state can kiss my a**
Im a born and raised bama boy and let me be first to tell Florida is definately southern.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:55 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
Im a born and raised bama boy and let me be first to tell Florida is definately southern.

It realy is just as an earlier poster mentioned native Floridians have southern accents !! I have ran into a couple native African American Miamians and they have southern accents.

When I was in Huntsville a guy from Cinccinatti told me he doesnt consider Florida southern becasue it has beaches and palm trees .

Last I checked South Carolina,Georgia,Alabama,Mississippi,Louisiana (palm trees not beaches) and Texas all have beaches and palm trees.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:26 AM

247 posts, read 1,115,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny View Post

Kiss what? Do you mean your aisse?

Old 03-22-2009, 10:36 PM

4 posts, read 12,298 times
Sweet Home Alabama

Old 03-23-2009, 03:56 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I have family members who live in Huntsville, and one of them just had a baby. I said I bet you your baby is going to be proper. She looked at me funny, and said, "Don't nobody in Huntsville talk propa, expect fa da folks who move here from somewhere else! It's still in Alabama!" She is partly right because I've been there numerous and heard people talk more country than me.
This is one of the things I hate about some people in the south at least a lot of the black ones I've come across, they think there is something wrong with talking in complete sentences and fully pronouncing words. Regardless if you are educated or not its dumb to talk like you are ignorant, using slang words is one thing but not correctly prouncing words is another and it irritates me. Like you said KE some of them are able to talk better when they need to be but that's not always the case some educated or not just do not know how to speak correctly and I blame the southern culture that thinks talking correctly is a bad thing for that. I've seen the same thing up north but not nearly as much as down south and its usually more among lower income. When I first moved to Alabama I was constantly told that I spoke too proper which is crazy because IMO my vocabulary could use improving and being around people who constantly misuse words all the rubs off on you in a negative way. I have seen much less of this praising of negative culture in Huntsville than I have seen in other cities in Alabama but Huntsville is still very much Southern if you think it's not go visit some northern cities its still very different from them.. its just not as Southern as Montgomery, Mobile, or even Birmingham. Atlanta is really not that Southern either though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama