Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 04:42 PM

16 posts, read 34,404 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Oxford, AL, where he will be working. I know nothing about the area or its schools, other than what I can read online. I'm a little confused about the Oxford schools, too: several elementary schools and one middle school, one high school and then another school just for 5/6th graders. Why is that? And why are some of them in Anniston, when Anniston seems to have their own district.
We want to live in a new home. Any suggestions for nice communities?We have 2 children not in school yet, but of course, school is important !
We live in New York State now, with outstanding school systems.
Any and all info. characterizing the area would be very much appreciated!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 07:23 PM

964 posts, read 3,163,274 times
Well, I don't live to far from Oxford, so I'll try to answer as best i can. Expect a HUGE culture change when moving from NYC to Oxford, Alabama.

As for the school system, several cities in Alabama are like that. An elementary school, followed by a charter like school with one grade(not all the time though), then middle and last, high school.

I'm not too familiar with any of the school systems in this area, but I tend to hear a lot of good things about Oxford's HS. And I'm not too sure about how they overlap with the Anniston schools, but my only guess is that said school may be a county school rather than a city school.

And there are some nice areas around the county. If you don't mind the commute, Jacksonville has some nice neighborhoods. I am not too familiar with the neighborhoods of Oxford though, but if a realtor can probably give you a rundown of the area.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,515 times
Oxford schools are the best in this area. I live in Oxford and have for 12 years. This area has expereinced tremendous growth over th past 12 years. Largely due to a Honda mftr plan near by and the proximity between Birmingham and Atlanta. There are none of Oxford's schools in Anniston. We have several elementary schools that are small, regional and a bigger middle school. The high school is currently being added on to. The community as a wole is a very nice southern community. Housing is very attractive and from where you are coming from, will seem cheap. visit era-king.com

Old 11-18-2009, 06:08 AM

16 posts, read 34,404 times
Default thank you

Thanks for the info.
I am wondering about housing and have exhausted (looking at the same houses at this point) the realty online service and have noticed houses available in Cider Ridge and Macintosh Hills. Are these young (family-wise) neighborhoods and do you have other suggestions? I see that you can get a lot of house for your money , and the taxes are about 1/4 of what they are here! Amazing!

Old 11-28-2009, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,516 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkml View Post
my husband and i are considering a move to oxford, al, where he will be working. I know nothing about the area or its schools, other than what i can read online. I'm a little confused about the oxford schools, too: Several elementary schools and one middle school, one high school and then another school just for 5/6th graders. Why is that? And why are some of them in anniston, when anniston seems to have their own district.
We want to live in a new home. Any suggestions for nice communities?we have 2 children not in school yet, but of course, school is important !
We live in new york state now, with outstanding school systems.
Any and all info. Characterizing the area would be very much appreciated!
Thanks!
me and my fam just moved here a month ago and we love it here we live i alexandrea it is verry quiet and peacful and great school

Old 12-07-2009, 01:44 PM

4 posts, read 21,662 times
Hi, we just moved to Oxford this fall from Grand Rapids Michigan. So far, I like it. The south is a little different and not what we are used to, but the people are very nice and the schools are wonderful. We moved to Oxford just for the schools. I have a 3rd grader and a Kindergartner. Both attend Oxford Elementary. Oxford is one of the nicer cities in the area. They have shopping centers and a mall. My biggest adjustment is the lack of grocery store selections. I have found one small locally owned store -Dorsey's, Win Dixie & Super Walmart. There is Target too, however it's not a super Target and lacks the produce and meat departments. The are is growing and they are supposed to put in a Sams club soon. As far as housing goes, I don't know your price range, but we purchased in a newer neighborhood and our neighbor is selling his home at the start of the year. It's a newer home, I'm guessing 3 years old. I strongly suggest getting a newer home if you can. Our house hunting experience was a nightmare. Given only 3 days to find a home, we were very frustrated with the selection. The older homes were not up-kept well and even some of the newer homes had a lot of issues. You need to get a reputable Agent. I can suggest one if you'd like to email back. The area is great, low crime rate and fantastic school statistics. If you have any other questions, I'm happy to help in any way~ Take care

Old 12-07-2009, 04:32 PM

234 posts, read 709,269 times
As far as how the schools are, I never hear anything but good things about them. That's not to see that there aren't negatives, but I just don't hear about them.

The city is still considered a suburb of Anniston, but by the 2010 census, Oxford should be the largest city in Calhoun County. Because it is pretty much a suburb, it has experienced A LOT of growth. A lot of retailers have opened up along the interstate and has growing tax base. Anyways, from what I can tell, it has a good quality of life.

Birmingham and Atlanta are about an hour's drive from town, so you can easily go on a nice shopping trip you like. Gadsden is a short drive north, which also has some nice shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama