Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 12:03 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times

Advertisements

I dunno Harry, I pay 9% sales tax on food here in Decatur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 12:38 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
"The local MLS covers all of North Alabama. Google "ValleyMLS" and see what you can find."

By the time a well-priced property in north AL makes it to the MLS, there is a good chance there is already a contract on it. A lot of the property sales are never listed on MLS and may not even see an agent. Also, there are regular land auctions in Athens, where agents and brokers go to try and pick up land before it is marked up in price. It could pay to place a classified in some of the local papers to reach some of the private sellers.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:48 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,897 times
Smile Here ya go!

Wathizname, come on down! Get in the TVA-supplied power areas (generally North Alabama) where electric is around $.06.5-$.07/kwhfor residential. In the counties (vice cities/towns), property tax is applied to your residential land and vehicles based upon assessed value, which is defined as 10% of appraised value. You get at least a $4,000 assessed value ($40,000 appraised value) homestead exemption on the residential portion of your property. Typically, residential real estate/vehicle property taxes in the rural areas of Alabama range from $2.10 to $3.30 per $1,000 of appraised value minus the homestead exemption. I believe farm vehicles are subject to an even lower tax rate, but don't quote me on that. I believe ag and timberland land is taxed at the lower of either the general property tax rate or the Use Classification (i.e., ag or forestry) at about $.80 acre. I don't believe any other type property is subject to property taxt in the rural areas, but I could be mistaken. Property tax increases require voter approval.

State sales tax is 4% on most everything, and applies to groceries and clothes also. The county governments can add almost any percent sales tax they want, but total sales tax in the rural areas seldom rise above 6% including the county portion. Prescription drugs are exempt from any sales tax. County sales tax varies from county to county, ranging from zero to (this is a guess) 2% at the most. Ag and forestry equipment and supplies are taxed at lower rates, typically 1% to 4% IIRC. Seed is exempt from sales tax of any nature, as is motor oil...again, IIRC.

There are Farm Machinery business', Farm Seed Companies, Livestock Auctions, and any Reputable Building Contractors down here in large numbers.

Regular gas at present runs anywhere from $2.60 to $2.85 at the name brand stations, $.11 to $.13 at the independents.

State income tax rate is nominally 5%, with a husband/wife exemption or Head of Family exemption of $3,000. All other filers get a $1,500 personal exemption. Dependents garner an additional exemption of $300 for each dependent. The standard deduction is $4,000 for joint filers (it usually pays to itemize) and $2,000 for the other categories of filers. A dependent or student can take the standard deduction even if they are claimed as a dependent on someone else's return. Defined benefit retirement plans do not count as income, Social Security is also exempt, and your federal tax liability is deductible even if you do not itemize. The medical limitation for deductible medical expenses is 4% vice the 7.5 % limitation imposed by the feds.

Please, anybody that's more versed in this feel free to correct any of my mistaken beliefs. I ain't an accountant, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express once upon a time. Neither am I a farmer, though I once did know a man who drove a pickup.

Man, you guys/gals type fast!

Last edited by nalabama; 04-18-2007 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Slow thinking/typing?

Old 04-18-2007, 01:09 PM

3 posts, read 16,404 times
We want to be self sustaining down there. We even have solar energy and wind mill tech. to back up on. Hopefully we'll be down soon to check things out.
Thanks you all have been a great help...
Bill

Old 08-26-2007, 08:26 PM

567 posts, read 1,744,531 times
Limestone County is good place for simi retirement. I have a new 1700 sq ft home on nine acres and my property tax is 395.00 per year. My electric bill runs anywhere from 105.00 to 150.00 per month and weather on average is decent year round. Also Interstate 65 runs through the middle of it so you can travel easily. Also you can live in the country, yet enjoy access to Huntville within 20 minutes or Nashville or Birmingham in 1 1/2 hours. I love it here. Grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and would never move back.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:01 PM

232 posts, read 994,453 times
A lot of folks are doing the same thing these days. I've worked with several who have bought 'smart' and banked their profits from sales in other markets so they weren't tied to mortgages and could afford to travel in retirement. Eventually it'll be like elsewhere but for now the Huntsville area including Limestone, Madison, Jackson, Morgan and even Marshall Counties offer quite a selection of homes and varying options. Cheap taxes, especially compared to up north. Cheap utilities, too, in the TVA world. Good fishing and slower pace of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama