Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:37 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times

Advertisements

Can't you get unemployment in the meanwhile for gas money for interviews and such?
How are you on the internet? Library?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:46 PM

150 posts, read 467,731 times
I ineligible for unemployment in the last state that I lived in before I moved back to Bama because my former employer told the employment board that I was fired for "misconduct" after telling me that he just thought I wasn't a "good fit" for the company. I'm on the internet because my friend has it.

Now listen to this: I still haven't had any call backs about a single one of the 100+ applications I've sent out. On Wednesday of last week a friend of mine applied for a retail job online. He's got less work experience that me and a much smaller resume. This is the only job he's applied for in THREE YEARS. Well he got called on Thursday, and interviewed and WAS HIRED TODAY. And the job that he applied for was one that I actually applied for myself around the same time. Chalk it up to luck on their part? Or have I made some sort of egregious mistake on my resume? Have I done something to throw up a red flag and render myself un-hirable? This is getting mother-loving ridiculous. I mean, I tried to get a job as a JANITOR and was turned down.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:24 AM

964 posts, read 3,160,456 times
Isn't that the same company that folded?

Anyhow, it is ridiculous here. There's no jobs at all in the Anniston/oxford area. a lot of the common jobs will get the idea that you're only with them until you find something better, so they'll tend to overlook applications like that. Also, you could be overqualified for said positions. Youll have to tone down your resume or not even include one with your application unless asked. Have you tried USAjobs or even fort McClellan?

Old 07-25-2009, 07:34 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Here's something else that may help you guys out...

http://www.employflorida.com/jobbank...o=&areatype=90

This is meant for Floridians, but if you'll type 32535 for the zip and click "50 mile radius" you'll find plenty of job listings for south Alabama too. (you can use any zipcode in the FL panhandle as long as it's near the state line)

Old 07-25-2009, 08:10 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rambler View Post
I ineligible for unemployment in the last state that I lived in before I moved back to Bama because my former employer told the employment board that I was fired for "misconduct" after telling me that he just thought I wasn't a "good fit" for the company. I'm on the internet because my friend has it.

Now listen to this: I still haven't had any call backs about a single one of the 100+ applications I've sent out. On Wednesday of last week a friend of mine applied for a retail job online. He's got less work experience that me and a much smaller resume. This is the only job he's applied for in THREE YEARS. Well he got called on Thursday, and interviewed and WAS HIRED TODAY. And the job that he applied for was one that I actually applied for myself around the same time. Chalk it up to luck on their part? Or have I made some sort of egregious mistake on my resume? Have I done something to throw up a red flag and render myself un-hirable? This is getting mother-loving ridiculous. I mean, I tried to get a job as a JANITOR and was turned down.
You could post your resume online here in City Data (as an attachment or as text but text would look ugly as City Data's message field is weak for formatting) and leave all your personal info out and just change the working history names to bogus names or something. Probably could do that on this forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/

Maybe people could critique it. Just make sure you make everything anonymous. Couldn't hurt.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:02 PM

Good idea, I've attached an edited version. I'll post it in the work forum as well. Thanks!

Resume-Anonymized - Copy.txt

PS: Pay no attention to the occasional spacing error, I edited the thing in a hurry to take out the identifying info and I can assure you that I haven't been sending out my resume with missing or improper spaces :P

Last edited by The_Rambler; 07-26-2009 at 02:12 PM..

Old 08-02-2009, 08:52 PM

I actually had a job interview on Thursday and my girlfriend finally landed a part time retail job. Things are actually starting to look up a bit... <crossing fingers>

Old 08-04-2009, 11:49 AM

964 posts, read 3,160,456 times
let us know how it goes. and target has some spots open as well. I'm gonna check them out

Old 08-04-2009, 07:12 PM

Well, nothing so far. He told me he'd be making his decision on Monday and I still haven't heard from anyone. I'll call tomorrow and find out. Good luck with Target!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama