Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 01:26 PM

50 posts, read 228,067 times

Advertisements

Why are Alabama sales taxes so outrageous?
Why is there no senior homestead property exemption? For instance, Mississippi has the first $60,000 value of a residential house free from property taxes, Louisiana has the first $75,000 free from property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 01:46 PM

346 posts, read 1,778,780 times
I cannot follow you. Are you talking about homestaed or outright purchase?

Old 03-05-2007, 02:25 PM

Default propety tax exemptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
I cannot follow you. Are you talking about homestaed or outright purchase?
Purchase has nothing to do with property taxes charged.
Senior citizens need a homestead property tax exemption & Alabama does not give them that.
As I wrote, the state of Louisiana gives the first $75,000 value of residential property belonging to seniors free from taxes, Mississippi gives the first $60,000 value of the property free from taxation.
The AL sales taxes are unbelievable.
In SC, in the county where I now live, we pay a 5% sales tax, we only pay $3% on food. The first $50,000 value of residential property for senior citizens is tax free.
Now, considering the rates that banks pay for savings, money market & CD's, the AL sales taxes are unGodly!
I don't see why AL citizens agree to pay such huge sales taxes!

Old 03-05-2007, 03:59 PM

485 posts, read 1,454,994 times
I can only compare sales and property tax in Huntsville Al with Houston TX where I lived before I moved here. The sales tax rate in Huntsville is 8% whereas it was 8.25% in Houston. I believe that different cities and municipalities in AL set sales tax rates (in addition to the state sales tax rate). From what I understand I believe that ~8 % is not considered high -- in fact there are many places with higher rates. The major concern in AL is that food is taxed at the same rate. As far as property tax is concerned, the property tax rates in AL are so low that I don't think that most people see a need to give a break to seniors (and I am one!!). My house in AL is appraised for about $35K more than the house I had in Houston. It is also ~200 sqft larger. My taxes in 2006 on my house were $707. The last year I lived in Houston (1998) my property taxes were $3200. Given this information I don't see how anyone could consider AL taxes to be high!!

Old 03-05-2007, 04:52 PM

346 posts, read 1,778,780 times
I do disagree about the full tax on food. On the other hand homestead excemption brings property taxes down almost 50%. Considering that Germany now has 19% Alabama is not bad off.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:03 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
alabama does have high sales taxes. that being said, home prices and wages compare favorably to many states in the country, so our overall cost of living is below the national average.

i wouldn't try to get so caught up in certain aspects of taxes and instead just take into account the whole cost of living scene.

let's compare two areas... say... central florida and northern alabama. you might not have any taxes in florida... but when the same 2500sf home that costs you $475,000 in florida only costs you $250,000 in alabama...well... that's a lot of taxes that you will have to save before florida even comes close to alabama in terms of cost of living!

Old 03-06-2007, 08:05 AM

114 posts, read 602,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normajo View Post
Why are Alabama sales taxes so outrageous?
Why is there no senior homestead property exemption? For instance, Mississippi has the first $60,000 value of a residential house free from property taxes, Louisiana has the first $75,000 free from property taxes.
I wouldn't get all bent out of shape about it. According to MSN Money, Alabama ranks #50 (yes, dead last) in overall tax burden. Having lived in both AL and MS, I can guarantee you that, even though AL sales tax is 2-3% higher, income tax is lower in AL, and their property taxes are the lowest you will find anywhere. MS car tags for a new car can cost as much as property taxes!!!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:39 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,964 times
Alabama has high sales taxes (and applies them to medical and food) because that is the only tax that counties can increase without having to put the increase to a vote. IIRC, if a county wants to increase any other tax, they must get the approval of the entire Alabama legislature; one "no" by one individual legislator kills the whole deal and requires at least a local referendum and sometimes a statewide vote by the citizens.

Alabama does in fact have homestead exemption, it's just not a whole lot of $$$. Seniors get an additional exemption on their homestead as well, but--again--it's not a whole lot of $$$.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:56 PM

Default property taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
I can only compare sales and property tax in Huntsville Al with Houston TX where I lived before I moved here. The sales tax rate in Huntsville is 8% whereas it was 8.25% in Houston. I believe that different cities and municipalities in AL set sales tax rates (in addition to the state sales tax rate). From what I understand I believe that ~8 % is not considered high -- in fact there are many places with higher rates. The major concern in AL is that food is taxed at the same rate. As far as property tax is concerned, the property tax rates in AL are so low that I don't think that most people see a need to give a break to seniors (and I am one!!). My house in AL is appraised for about $35K more than the house I had in Houston. It is also ~200 sqft larger. My taxes in 2006 on my house were $707. The last year I lived in Houston (1998) my property taxes were $3200. Given this information I don't see how anyone could consider AL taxes to be high!!
A house I considered seriously about buying in Sylacauga would cost - city & county - almost $3,000 a year in property taxes.

Last edited by Normajo; 03-06-2007 at 01:36 PM..

Old 03-06-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
alabama does have high sales taxes. that being said, home prices and wages compare favorably to many states in the country, so our overall cost of living is below the national average.

i wouldn't try to get so caught up in certain aspects of taxes and instead just take into account the whole cost of living scene.

let's compare two areas... say... central florida and northern alabama. you might not have any taxes in florida... but when the same 2500sf home that costs you $475,000 in florida only costs you $250,000 in alabama...well... that's a lot of taxes that you will have to save before florida even comes close to alabama in terms of cost of living!
FL property taxes are unbelievable! I would not live there because of taxes first, the storms second, & the potable water third.
Greenwood, SC for now has a 5% sales tax, 3% tax on food, a $50,000 property tax exemption for seniors & some legislators are trying to up that amount or eliminate property taxes on residents altogether. After all, you can never own your house - which should be your castle - as long as you have an eternal mortage on it, as property taxes are.
We voted in a temporary 1% sales tax increase beginning in May to build a new $10,000,000 library & upgrade a dam.
I did not move to AL because of the enormous property taxes & sales taxes. Your utilities are all much higher too, so are your gasoline prices. If you don't believe me, just come here for a visit.
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama