Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:51 AM

137 posts, read 327,734 times

Advertisements

(I posted this earlier but I decided I should change my title.) We are considering a move from California to the Auburn area. We have family in Georgia but my husband is a building contractor and have the impression that the Auburn area might have more opportunity for his work. Do you think this is true? Also, we currently (in northern Calif.) live on a 2-acre lot just outside of town and are hoping to find something similar near Auburn.....kind of a country feel but not too far from town. Think we could find something like that? In your opinion, would it be a good place to raise our kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 12:15 AM

163 posts, read 297,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ofus View Post
(I posted this earlier but I decided I should change my title.) We are considering a move from California to the Auburn area. We have family in Georgia but my husband is a building contractor and have the impression that the Auburn area might have more opportunity for his work. Do you think this is true? Also, we currently (in northern Calif.) live on a 2-acre lot just outside of town and are hoping to find something similar near Auburn.....kind of a country feel but not too far from town. Think we could find something like that? In your opinion, would it be a good place to raise our kids?
Living in Texas now but originally from Birmingham and spent 6 ni ce years in Auburn getting my degree. Auburn is a nice area, maybe not as pretty as northern CA, but has rolling hills with a nice mix of heavy pine and hardwood areas, and also flatlands close by. It is on the edge of the Piedmont Plateau and the Coastal Plain, thus some nice recreational areas nearby, like Chewacla State Park. Also fairly close to nice lakes, Callaway Gardens, and only about 1 hour to the Atlanta airport.

I'm not sure how the housing market is right now but it is one of the fastest growing areas in Alabama, and one of the fastest growing micropolitan areas in the country. From what I hear it is becoming a hot spot for retirees. Auburn University continues to attract businesses in a variety of industries. Kia recently opened a huge automobile factory just over the border in Georgia, some 25 or so miles away. Auburn is under a 2 hrs drive to Birmingham, about an hour or so to Atlanta and Montgomery and about 30 minutes to Columbus, GA.

The Auburn-Opelika area continues to be ranked high on quality of life & business vitality surveys, especially among micropolitan areas across the country, so I would think the construction industry would be doing relatively well. Personally I believe the Auburn area would be a great place to raise kids especially if you like a college town. There are many good churches, the city schools are excellent ( at least they have been for a long time), nice parks and very low crime in the Auburn proper area. I am somewhat biased since I am an AU alumnus, but the above is true. For a university town, Auburn is very conservative, but has enough liberal influence if you lean that way. And you should have no trouble finding a reasonably priced piece of land or home w/ acreage as you described, especially compared to CA real estate. Hope your move goes well.

Carpe

Old 04-26-2010, 03:23 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times
The Auburn real estate market is one of the best in the state, and Auburn was just recently ranked in the top 10 of places to invest, I believe.

It is also home to the most wonderful, friendliest University in all the land...Auburn University, my alma mater. War Eagle!

Old 04-28-2010, 08:38 AM

629 posts, read 3,598,083 times
Don't do it! Move to Tuscaloosa!

lol

Old 04-28-2010, 04:52 PM

964 posts, read 3,159,564 times
There's nothing good in Tuscaloosa, especially not a good football team :P

Old 04-28-2010, 06:44 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Hey, here's a question:

How do you get to Auburn from (the University of) Alabama?
Go east til you smell it, then south til you step in it!

:-P

Old 04-28-2010, 08:31 PM

44 posts, read 114,065 times
Default moving to Auburn

The Auburn area is one of the nicest areas anywhere. Note, as per above, that it is primarily conservative. The people are great.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:56 AM

964 posts, read 3,159,564 times
Quote:
Hey, here's a question:

How do you get to Auburn from (the University of) Alabama?
Go east til you smell it, then south til you step in it!

:-P
Touche

Excuse me a minute while I go drop a UA into my toilet.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:56 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
Touche

Excuse me a minute while I go drop a UA into my toilet.
That's why they call it the Crapstone.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:48 AM

12 posts, read 33,330 times
From someone in the construction industry the Auburn area is a continuing growth market for us here in the state. I don't know about another home builder moving here just for the business side since there are literally DOZENS of home builders in the area already and many of them are just waiting on something else to break open; plus if you don't know someone then you may not get the opening you are looking for to start.

However if you are wanting to move to get away from Northern California then that part of the state is a great place to be and raise kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama