Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2007, 01:50 PM

485 posts, read 1,455,572 times

Advertisements

I am having trouble understanding why Normajo continues to rail about "how high taxes and utilities" are in AL when she apparently does not live in AL. Despite multiple posters who are AL residents who have tried to point her in a direction to get the straight facts (very low property tax rates), she continues to ask where she can get the facts. I have to wonder if she has some ax to grind in slamming AL. As far as utility costs are concerned, the N AL areas served by TVA have some of the lowest utility costs that I have personally experienced (TX and GA).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 02:46 PM

346 posts, read 1,779,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
I am having trouble understanding why Normajo continues to rail about "how high taxes and utilities" are in AL when she apparently does not live in AL. Despite multiple posters who are AL residents who have tried to point her in a direction to get the straight facts (very low property tax rates), she continues to ask where she can get the facts. I have to wonder if she has some ax to grind in slamming AL. As far as utility costs are concerned, the N AL areas served by TVA have some of the lowest utility costs that I have personally experienced (TX and GA).
Thank you!
Everything has its price. We got half the house for the money when we moved from GA. But twice the nice neighbors.
Set your priorities.
You do not like what you get in AL just do not move here. A military or corporate move will be temporary and you can look forward to the next one.

Utilities - Shelby County/Alabama Power is around 10 cents.

Twostep :>)

Old 03-12-2007, 04:30 PM

50 posts, read 228,137 times
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Try this link for rates. Dunno how updated it is.

http://www.governor.state.al.us/taxcalc/calc.htm (broken link)
Thanks, I will try that link.
As you know, I need all the help I can get!

Old 03-12-2007, 04:32 PM

Default simple to understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
I am trying to find the most economical area for myself to live in, only stated facts as I know them, & I appreciate getting facts & info.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Thanks, Twostep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
Thank you!
Everything has its price. We got half the house for the money when we moved from GA. But twice the nice neighbors.
Set your priorities.
You do not like what you get in AL just do not move here. A military or corporate move will be temporary and you can look forward to the next one.

Utilities - Shelby County/Alabama Power is around 10 cents.

Twostep :>)
That is info I can use, even though the kwatt hour cost is around double what I pay now.
I would be willing to pay more for electricity in order not to live around carcinogenic nuclear power plants. When it rains, I don't want to think about what comes out of those cooling towers & falls back down to earth, & when I drink water or plant my organic veggies, I don't want to think about what is flushed into the water supply.
I like knowledge & admit when I need to know something. I never claim to know everything!
May God bless you!

Old 03-12-2007, 05:41 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
"I would be willing to pay more for electricity in order not to live around carcinogenic nuclear power plants. When it rains, I don't want to think about what comes out of those cooling towers & falls back down to earth, & when I drink water or plant my organic veggies, I don't want to think about what is flushed into the water supply.
I like knowledge & admit when I need to know something. I never claim to know everything!"

If you mean what you say, please read about the design of nuke plants in the U.S.. You appear to have been snookered by extremist thinking from a particular group that has an agenda. A little more research by you on both sides of the debate will benefit you.

The bubonic plague was organic. Polio was organic. Pneumonia is organic. Oranges have a chemical makeup that would make anyone raising them organicly blanch. If you want to play the "technology is awful" game, go ahead, but please don't think that you are excercising rational thought unless you can debate both sides of the issues coherently.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:28 PM

Technology is awful Harry! Did you see the Shelby County web site for white tail by white tail? Our deer have mutated by exposure to the Alabama/Auburn feud to the point of accessing library computers to send spam to hunters' home addresses. (They did not deceive me!).

Lighten up folks!

Harry - I would like to talk to you a bit more about AL. Thanks to a job change I have some time on my hands I would like to use in the community.

You seem to be very knowledgable about what is going on. Thank you.
Normajo - live and let live. Ask a straight question, quit beating three times around the bush and you have a fair chance to get an honest answer.
Bashing AL and claiming to want to move here is somewhat of a contradiction. How was this about honey and vinegar?

Old 03-12-2007, 06:40 PM

Default I'm not debating

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"I would be willing to pay more for electricity in order not to live around carcinogenic nuclear power plants. When it rains, I don't want to think about what comes out of those cooling towers & falls back down to earth, & when I drink water or plant my organic veggies, I don't want to think about what is flushed into the water supply.
I like knowledge & admit when I need to know something. I never claim to know everything!"

If you mean what you say, please read about the design of nuke plants in the U.S.. You appear to have been snookered by extremist thinking from a particular group that has an agenda. A little more research by you on both sides of the debate will benefit you.

The bubonic plague was organic. Polio was organic. Pneumonia is organic. Oranges have a chemical makeup that would make anyone raising them organicly blanch. If you want to play the "technology is awful" game, go ahead, but please don't think that you are excercising rational thought unless you can debate both sides of the issues coherently.
I am not debating, simply stating my desires & where I want to live.
My father was a nuclear physist & my uncle was a biochemist, both died from cancer, both employed in nuke plants.
Have a blessed evening!

Old 03-12-2007, 06:44 PM

Default I already said

[quote=Twostep;450959]Technology is awful Harry! Did you see the Shelby County web site for white tail by white tail? Our deer have mutated by exposure to the Alabama/Auburn feud to the point of accessing library computers to send spam to hunters' home addresses. (They did not deceive me!).

Lighten up folks!

Harry - I would like to talk to you a bit more about AL. Thanks to a job change I have some time on my hands I would like to use in the community.

I am not bashing, merely stating facts.
I love the truth, the truth shall set you free, as the Bible says.
Some people can't take the truth, sorry about that.
AL people are too sensitive, maybe they want to be the best.
Someone sent me a great link to the governor's office & I sent him an email.
I will see how far that gets me - ha ha!
I am for a better life for everyone, that is what I keep saying.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normajo View Post
I am not debating, simply stating my desires & where I want to live.
My father was a nuclear physist & my uncle was a biochemist, both died from cancer, both employed in nuke plants.
Have a blessed evening!
I am truly sorry! Employment and medical condition does not have to be related. My mother had five sisters. Neither has ever been within range of a plant. My better half spent 20 years in EOD. So it hits my father! Call it fate, punishment ...

What do you need in living space, medical facilities, ammenities such as shopping, grocers ..., how many people, what ages, what do you do for fun (gardenening is not recreation as I can vouch for) ... Just spit it out :>)

In case anybody is interested - I am looking for 11+ acres with road access and access to city water/power. Driving distance to Vestavia Hills during off times or (if everything fails) "under the radar" for a chopper. Normajo - keep yours on - a single chopper can be cheaper then a decent truck.

Could someone go over then and than with me? I never got the hang of it way back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama