Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 05:41 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times

Advertisements

Personally I think it is easier to call someone a "BAMA in reference to an ignorant, racist backwoods person than anything regarding race or any other mean spirited remark.

The sad thing about it I have heard the term from places from Texas to Washington D.C (what nerve)

Old 06-01-2010, 05:59 PM

767 posts, read 2,292,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Personally I think it is easier to call someone a "BAMA in reference to an ignorant, racist backwoods person than anything regarding race or any other mean spirited remark.

The sad thing about it I have heard the term from places from Texas to Washington D.C (what nerve)
I've been called a lot of derogatory words in my 72 years, but I don't think I have ever been called "BAMA"
Down here we just generally have a two word term for the folks up north even if they are ignorant, racist backwoods type.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
I've been called a lot of derogatory words in my 72 years, but I don't think I have ever been called "BAMA"
Down here we just generally have a two word term for the folks up north even if they are ignorant, racist backwoods type.
I know that it is strange to me also, but I have heard that term from D.C to New York to Texas used in a derogatory way. Maybe the good folks from Alabama don't look at it that way

Old 06-01-2010, 09:33 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
^^^Exactly !! @ Ben no you don’t understand !!! Legalized or not racism is still racism it happened and someone was hurt or offended. The eye gouging murder of Emmit(illegal) is no better than the fatal dragging of the Texas man (legal). Alabama’s racial history is somewhat identical to other states outside of the south east.
Noose hanging in a socal university is no better than the stunt Gov Wallace pulled. It doesn’t matter how you dress it up it’s wrong !
I don't know how to make it any more clear. I guess if you don't get it, you just don't get it. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:37 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
The south has always been treated unfairly when it comes to racism. This is do to a mountain of mis information that has been pushed onto the American public. First it is taught that enlightened New Englanders spawned the abolishonist movement and the north fought to end slavery. Northerners fought to end slavery because of a precieved economic disadvantage it put the north in. Northerners never believed blacks to be equal, they fought to keep them out of thier states and cities during and after the war. Hundreds of them were killed by whites in the New York draft riots. Northerners did not care about the black man, the civil war was about aggression and the economic domination of the south by the northeastern states. It is also taught that racist southerners were corrected by those same enlightened northerners during the civil rights era. While there was obvioulsly racism in the south, it was no different than the racism in the north during the same era. Whites famously attacked blacks over bussing in Boston in the 70s, race riots occured throughout the north. The midwest seems to be the most racist region of all. Indiana was one of the biggest klan states of all, Iowa, Illinois and Michigan are also filled with heavy klan influence. To this day Chicago and Detroit metro areas are the most segregated in the USA. I believe the reason the south has always attracted more attention to the race issue is simply because of the number of blacks and whites living in close proximity to each other there. In a midwest state like Michigan, a black minority is driven into a small area of ghetto surrounded by a huge state filled with an overwhelming amount of white people. The deep south has a much larger number of black residence so whites and blacks are always in contact with each other. Jim crow laws were developed to manage this reality in an era of open racism. Overall I think the people of the deep south have learned from the last 300 years of living together to get along far better than say the people of the upper midwest, where metro Chicago and metro Detroit remain as segregated as 1940s Alabama.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:46 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,348,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The south has always been treated unfairly when it comes to racism. This is do to a mountain of mis information that has been pushed onto the American public. First it is taught that enlightened New Englanders spawned the abolishonist movement and the north fought to end slavery. Northerners fought to end slavery because of a precieved economic disadvantage it put the north in. Northerners never believed blacks to be equal, they fought to keep them out of thier states and cities during and after the war. Hundreds of them were killed by whites in the New York draft riots. Northerners did not care about the black man, the civil war was about aggression and the economic domination of the south by the northeastern states. It is also taught that racist southerners were corrected by those same enlightened northerners during the civil rights era. While there was obvioulsly racism in the south, it was no different than the racism in the north during the same era. Whites famously attacked blacks over bussing in Boston in the 70s, race riots occured throughout the north. The midwest seems to be the most racist region of all. Indiana was one of the biggest klan states of all, Iowa, Illinois and Michigan are also filled with heavy klan influence. To this day Chicago and Detroit metro areas are the most segregated in the USA. I believe the reason the south has always attracted more attention to the race issue is simply because of the number of blacks and whites living in close proximity to each other there. In a midwest state like Michigan, a black minority is driven into a small area of ghetto surrounded by a huge state filled with an overwhelming amount of white people. The deep south has a much larger number of black residence so whites and blacks are always in contact with each other. Jim crow laws were developed to manage this reality in an era of open racism. Overall I think the people of the deep south have learned from the last 300 years of living together to get along far better than say the people of the upper midwest, where metro Chicago and metro Detroit remain as segregated as 1940s Alabama.
Visit Cullman and tell me if you feel the same.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:49 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:

Wow interesting info thanks daniel @Ben maybe not but the ^^^ info is enlighting don`t you think .

Old 06-02-2010, 05:28 PM

34 posts, read 39,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Visit Cullman and tell me if you feel the same.

lol, My mother was from Cullman and they do probably have the worst reputation in the entire state. But trust me, it wasnt just against blacks, it was an attitude towards anyone not born and raised there (and if you told them you didnt go to church, you would really get "the eye", LOL!!) I grew up in Huntsville and I was treated like crap when I would go visit my Mom. "Cullmanites", unfortunately, live in their own little world. But please dont let that town bring down your opinion of the entire state. We all tend to poke a little fun at Cullman...its a pretty town. Too bad it has a horrible history/reputation.

And I have never heard the term "Bama" used towards someone in a bad way. It is usually just a nickname others call someone once they learn that they are from Alabama....or at least that is what we are told, anyway, lol

Old 06-03-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
ex-point! Even as far north as Pittsburgh racism was (is) alive and well but it just does not have the stigma as a southern state

Old 06-04-2010, 06:59 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,416 times
If Northerners hate Alabama so much, why do so many of them visit each year? Stay home, leave us alone. I personally hope most people from other states continue to dislike us. Then, we can have our beautiful state all to ourselves. In Alabama our parents taught us not to talk ugly about others. It would be nice if the rest of the nation was taught the same type of manners. I am tired of constantly defending the South, because I don't really care what the rest of the nation thinks. I remember my Alabama community banding together to help New York after 911, yet many New Yorkers make fun of us. I remember crying when mud slides hit California and when the people were jumping from the Twin Towers. I was obviously under the mistaken impression that we were one nation united.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama