Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 05:02 PM

430 posts, read 1,059,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Wow, ok, note to self, do not comment in the Alabama forum.

All I was doing was answering the OP's question, which, if you look above, you will see was "Why Does Everyone Give Alabama and Similar States So Much Crap?" My answer was because they have a reputation for the things I mentioned, based on things that people hear from various sources (ie. not firsthand). Whether or not those things are true is not the point. Maybe I didn't state that clearly.

That opinion is obviously not welcome here. I'll be on my way.
Your opinion was based on exactly what everyone expected. It was all word of mouth and no actual life experience. You did answer the OP question. Your opinion is based on the same way wide spread racism and bigotry gets started. One person has a bad experience and tells people. Instead of those people finding out on their own, they just say its true and keep passing the message along. This method is the same reason people have wrong ideas about people and places all over the world. Why do people think Canadians say "ay" after everything sentence? Why do some people think the French give up easily on everything?

Old 05-27-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayinhawaii View Post
Yes, Alabama deserves the bad rep it has. Note that "RAYINHAWAII" used to live in Montgomery, Jeff Davis H.S., class of 81, lived on Vaughn Road..... So I know what I'm talking about. That why I live in Hawaii now!!! Just read the letter's to the editor in any Alabama newspaper online and see how fast just about any news story devolves into a race rant......Go ahead, any city paper, pick one..... You'll see real fast things haven't changed at all.......
The people that write letters to the editor are the same ones the news interviews after a tornado destroys a city. They tend to be the most white trash people possible.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:48 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Tim James and Roy Moore: Two Peas in an Increasingly Cramped Pod | United Against Tim James

Of course, Roy Moore's running second. If either he or Tim James win, I'm voting Democratic.

Byrne really isn't any better.

He's too into his, "faith," and all to govern for those that don't think like him.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:05 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post

He's too into his, "faith," and all to govern for those that don't think like him.
Possibly, but he sure as heck as cleaned house on the uber-corrupt junior college system in this state, the legacy of George C. Wallace. That alone deserves our gratitude.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:36 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post

I think we're probably looking at voting for the lesser evil here. Byrne's not great but he's sure as hell a lot better than James or Moore.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:13 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghett61 View Post
Why do people think Canadians say "ay" after everything sentence?
I never heard of that until the Matt Lauer did a piece this year at the Olympics. I was surprised to hear that, surprised that I was the "only" one not knowing that tidbit. I went "really, hmm". I thought the Irish (or some other British Isles nation, someone in that part of the world) go "ay/eh".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghett61 View Post
Why do some people think the French give up easily on everything?
I thought (encountered) stubborn and argumentative French.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
I went "really, hmm".
I think I am just extra distracted by anything except doing work today. But the first thing that popped in my head while reading what you typed was the SNL weekend update sketch where they say "really" after everything.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:38 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Why Does Everyone Give Alabama and Similar States So Much Crap?

a common history of racial intolerance and lynchings and under-education.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:28 AM

767 posts, read 2,291,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Why Does Everyone Give Alabama and Similar States So Much Crap?

a common history of racial intolerance and lynchings and under-education.
Lynching Statistics
Looks like NC made the list too.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
Lynching Statistics
Looks like NC made the list too.
Dusty Rhodes did say a common history...so that could mean that NC and AL have a common history. Not necessarily saying AL is worse than NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama