Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:27 PM

15 posts, read 86,585 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I've read many of the threads on here about moving to Alaska and they've provided some great information!

I'm currently living in Austin, Texas as I have just moved from Southern California, this Alaska move wouldn't be for a couple of years or so, but I want to start looking into it. I differ from the average person weather wise. Growing up in the southern California desert where summers would reach 124oF on occasion and with one inch of rainfall per every decade it seemed, it made me crave any kind of weather that wasn't sunny LOL

I LOOOOOOVE rain, snow, fog, wind, tropical storms all that good stuff! I really want to experience extreme cold and what it would be like to wake up at 8-9am and it's still dark outside. I love the wilderness and defiantly want to experience what Alaska has to offer. I plan in the future working in Antarctica and I think living in Alaska first would give me a good idea of what I can expect on the south pole. I was set on Barrow, AK but I as I started looking into Fairbanks I'm thinking that would be a better choice since it's cheaper to bring my car up there than to ship it to Barrow and that fact of being in a town as isolated as Barrow isn't something I'm used to, so I would imagine it's better for me to start slow?

I know Fairbanks isn't Los Angeles or Austin but it there a good amount of things to do, to keep one busy? great ways to meet people? I read in another thread sports teams and such were a great way of meeting people, and I just so happen to be learning ice hockey here in Austin. I'm so tired of heat... I thought I was going to get somewhat of a break from it here in Texas, but it just got humid!! I just want to make sure I can keep myself busy and enjoy the experience up there, I plan on visiting in the next year or so to check it out, but I think it would be such a great experience. Do you all recommend a good time to go? I'd like to go while there is still snow on the ground and it's still pretty chilly... Is Fairbanks a good choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 08:58 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,145,934 times
Yes.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:50 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,935 times
Barrow is windy, cold and dry. Antarctica is windier, colder, and drier.

Last edited by Wynternight; 09-19-2010 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: I speel guud!

Old 09-20-2010, 12:49 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,365,997 times
Visit first....get job second.......Once you know you can afford to pay rent and buy toys - go for it

Old 09-20-2010, 03:44 PM

Awesome, thanks for the replies, pretty excited to go and visit!! Although I didn't understand why tickets to fly there next month are cheaper rather than saying you want to fly out in December You think it would be cheaper that later it is!

Anyways, thanks again!

Old 09-20-2010, 04:03 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,027,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLCA View Post
Awesome, thanks for the replies, pretty excited to go and visit!! Although I didn't understand why tickets to fly there next month are cheaper rather than saying you want to fly out in December You think it would be cheaper that later it is!
November/December holiday season is peak travel time for Alaska residents flying to and from the lower 48 to visit families and/or escape the cold. It's actually a challange to get good reservations at that time, as most of the other carriers have cut back their summer service, leaving Alaska Airlines to carry the majority of the load. If you try to book last minute reservations around the holidays up here you're almost guaranteed to get stuck in a middle seat, even on a red-eye flight!

Last edited by Moose Whisperer; 09-20-2010 at 04:35 PM..

Old 09-20-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
November/December holiday season is peak travel time for Alaska residents flying to and from the lower 48 to visit families and/or escape the cold. It's actually a challange to get good reservations at that time, as most of the other carriers have cut back their summer service, leaving Alaska Airlines to carry the majority of the load. If you try to book last minute reservations around the holidays up here you're almost guaranteed to get stuck in a middle seat, even on a red-eye flight!
Moose Whisperer, when is a good time to go? I was thinking maybe April-May-ish... I'd like to go when it's still cold though And there is snow everywhere.. Thanks for the info on that though!

Yeah was looking at flights out of Austin this month and they're like 527$ for the roundtrip, but if I do November/December and even January they're 800$+

Old 09-20-2010, 04:58 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,027,191 times
My recommendation FWIW would be late Feb/early March. More daylight so you can check out the local scenery, but still plenty cold, and enough darkness to see the Northern Lights too. Also, the Iditarod race start and associated festivities are occuring in Anchorage, and the Ice Carving Championship is in Fairbanks (sounds like they were able to find a new spot for it after all ). April/May - still snow on the ground but starting to warm up by interior Alaska standards!

NEW! Ice Alaska 2011

The Official Site of the Iditarod®

Anchorage, Alaska, Fur Rondy, Anchorage Fur Rendezvous Festival

Old 09-20-2010, 08:01 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,291,368 times
I wanted to get a taste of winter this last year and came up in early March. Was a little worried because it had been warm up here (up to about 40), but got a cold snap right after we arrived. Perfect! Haven't been here in any other part of winter, but it was great then. And from what people I know here say, mid-February to late March is the best part of winter.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:52 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,905,396 times
April is our ugliest month up here in Fairbanks. Brown and muddy. March is my favorite month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska