Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 05:00 PM

43 posts, read 74,391 times

Advertisements

i am 23 single and have a indoor cat and a dog. i usually work call centers because its usually a very reliable industry meaning usually if you can find a call center(or contact center) you usually have a job and these days im willing to move to find work here where i am unemployment is high like almost 14% and you cant even get a job at mcdonalds even with formal education. what hope is there for us who didnt go to college..
i dont know what the weather is in alaska but we have 4 seasons and winter is so worth the spring and summer

coming from an area around chicago well not around exactly like 2 hrs west we
dont have very much traffic out by us
i am looking for some things like cost of living (currently researching)
i would like to be in a pretty safe area no guns going off around the corner (been there done that) looking for a place affordable by the mountains(not a neccasity) as long as i have internet and power i own dvds and cds
affordable vets and human doctors

i would love to be in colorado but alot of people from there say that there arent many jobs even though the employment rate is lower is this the case of alaska??

here in illinois the air quality isnt that great its not the worst either i do love the fields of corn and wheat.

basicly im looking to find a place where no one knows me and get an impression of the world for myself...
also insects here not so bad we do have ticks fleas tree eating beetles but all are pretty normal sized i went to flordia and had ot by a huge fly swater the ants were huge!!!!
also here we get what we call running of the frogs spring and early summer the roads are filled all you hear is crunch crunch as you drive
im gonna be haunted by frogs pretty soon here
umm what else
oh outdoors nothing here really peaks my interest camping is usually done up in wisconson or at rv/campground kinda place and to me thats not camping so i would like to be able to visit and hike pet friendly trails and stuff like that maybe learn whitewater rafting ive never done that but it would help me make a decision
uhh
local wildlife here we have
possumes racoons deer a few coyote but they are disappearing fast fox chicken hawks owls other hawks rabbits stray cats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 05:06 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
We have the running of the tourists up here, it's worse than the animals...

Old 09-28-2010, 05:08 PM

43 posts, read 74,391 times
ahh ok lol never heard it put that way where i live we dont get tourists only the one that get lost off the interstate

Old 09-28-2010, 08:37 PM

335 posts, read 424,311 times
There is no manufacturing in Alaska. They have to transport all of the manufactured goods from the lower 48. As a result, everything costs more.

There are mosquitos and spiders, but not much of other insects. No reptiles since they would freeze to death.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:40 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
No manufacturing?

Manufacturing Companies in Alaska (AK)

Old 10-04-2010, 01:53 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
58 in a state the size of Alaska? ... yea, I'd say "No manufacturing" is a valid statement.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:32 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,291,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
58 in a state the size of Alaska? ... yea, I'd say "No manufacturing" is a valid statement.
Um, the size of the population might be a better point of comparison than the size of the state.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:00 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,291,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
There are mosquitos and spiders, but not much of other insects. No reptiles since they would freeze to death.
There are also ants, bees, wasps, flies, gnats, dragonflies, butterflies, moths, beetles (spruce beetles - grrr!), aphids, grasshoppers, crickets, and probably others I'm not aware of. No reptiles to speak of (though a few species of sea turtles have been seen in Alaskan waters), but wood frogs occur at least as far north as the Brooks Range and as far west as the base of the Alaska Peninsula, western toads are found as far north as Prince William Sound, and several other amphibian species, including two salamanders and a newt are known to inhabit Southeast AK.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:45 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,969,096 times
You may wind up spending quite a bit of money to travel all the way up with your pets, then decide you hate it & want to go back down south. I'd say that for the time being it would be better to move in with family & find a job that will let you save up for an apartment. Do some research & make some calls to prospective employers & try & get a realistic picture of the job market.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:33 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,889,083 times
I've seen this question on the Arkansas forum too, the cost of living is considerable cheaper down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: