Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:14 AM

123 posts, read 202,516 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!! I am from NJ and I am married with a 3 yr old son. My husband recently finished a three year apprenticeship at the Aker Shipyard in Philadelphia. He is a pipefitter fabricator and makes a fairly decent living. I am a stay at home mom. We are looking for a change, and by that I mean a 3500 mile change. We are researching and investigating the possibility of relocating to Alaska. We have tried to find some information on Alaska ship in Ketchikan but there isnt much info to find. I also have a degree in Addictions counseling. He is not dead-set on working in a shipyard, he is able to and is certified in all types of welding (except underwater) and he has installed all the pipes and fire systems and engine systems on ships. I was hoping for a little bit of feedback on different options for us. We dont necessarily need to live in Ketchikan, we also are interested in Anchorage. Well really any of the areas from Anchorage to Ketchikan but not really any further in than that. Please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,736,800 times
Not really sure why you aren't finding much information. Did you try a Google search? I found there website in about 6.9 seconds.

Alaska Ship & Drydock

http://www.akship.net/

Old 11-10-2010, 12:08 PM

Stiffnecked...I absolutely found those websites!! Yeah that part was easy the hard part is finding out real information. Those websites just kinda tell you basics but I was wondering about benefits? Pay? Employee experience? If we have to come up for an interview (which will cost about $2000) I just wanted some real information, ya know? But thank you for lookng those sites up for me.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:12 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,736,800 times
I have a couple of friends that work at the shipyard in Ketchikan. They like working there. This is one of those deals where you gonna have to make some phone calls to find out that specific information. It shouldn't cost $2000 for your husband to fly up for an interview. Good luck!! Ketchikan is a wonderful place to live.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:18 PM

Well, the reason why it will cost $2000 is we are hoping to make it a joint trip in order to do our expedition trip. We also cant move up there without you know visiting the area and deciding at least preliminarily that it is somewhere we would want to raise our family and make the investment to move to. So we are trying to achieve both a job search and fact finding mission at the same time. I have read a lot online about Ketchikan and people seem to have an overall good impression whether living there or visiting. Not sure who to contact about it. Companies (in our experience) dont want to spend a lot of time explaining to people whom they havent interviewed. But I dont want to wait until the interview for his questions to get answered.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,906,138 times
I can't answer any of your specific questions regarding salary, et al, but like Stiffy, I do have quite a soft spot for Ketchikan in my heart.

With your respective skill sets I think that finding work in either location would be possible. Anchorage and Ketchikan are two very different places though and I am wondering what draws you to them.

The weather in Ketchikan can be daunting. So can the fact that you really can't take off on much of a road trip without involving the Alaska Marine Highway. But it has lots of greenery and lots of water. It's a neat little town overall.

It depends on what's important to you regarding a community.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:35 PM

We have done some research on both Ketchikan and Anchorage. I grew up in NC in a ridiculously small town (one stoplight and all that) and I absolutely love the small town feel. Ketchikan has a small town feel with access to more mainstream amentities. Anchorage is a larger community much closer to the type of community we live in now and I have deduced from research that Anchorage is an excellent jumping off point for people new to AK. I am not loving the marine highway things simply based on what seems to be a very expensive way to travel. But that being said I believe that my family would be capable of adjusting to life in whatever adventure it takes.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:49 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,908,595 times
There is an Alaska Ship and Drydock page and group on Facebook, maybe you could make some connections on there to find out more information.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:07 PM

I have been unable to find the page on Facebook but I have been looking

Old 11-10-2010, 01:15 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,783,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaber2Alaska View Post
I have been unable to find the page on Facebook but I have been looking
ummm don't understand it was easy so here it is for you..

Login | Facebook

and a second one listed on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...46246172058639
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska