Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 04:49 AM

204 posts, read 472,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
What fun would that be?
To me, being warm is fun. lol So in that case, it would be a lot of fun. I like the cold, but I don't really venture out when it's that blowing snow. We've been getting quite a bit of snow here lately, but not like Barrow. I'm going to learn how to cross country ski this winter, so I'm not really complaining about the snow. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 10:01 AM

24 posts, read 56,004 times
Snow day was a nice little gift (as a teacher). Needed to regroup. Enjoyed watching all the snow removal. Really impressive drift out our back window. Was out in it 4 different times. Thought it would be colder than it was. Saturday was make up day for us. Still, got many tasks done that go undone. Today is a surprise +31degrees??? The snow is melting off the roof. Blizzards are fun, in my opinion! Born and raised in N MN.

file:///Users/beckie.campbell/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png (broken link)file:///Users/beckie.campbell/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-1.png (broken link)

Last edited by decaff38; 11-21-2010 at 10:26 AM..

Old 11-21-2010, 10:36 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,658,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaff38 View Post
Snow day was a nice little gift (as a teacher). Needed to regroup. Enjoyed watching all the snow removal. Really impressive drift out our back window. Was out in it 4 different times. Thought it would be colder than it was. Saturday was make up day for us. Still, got many tasks done that go undone. Today is a surprise +31degrees??? The snow is melting off the roof. Blizzards are fun, in my opinion! Born and raised in N MN.
Hey, happy birthday!

Well, this 31 degrees and 100% relative humidy is a bit unusual. However, the unusual is the norm here, plus it seems that if the next decade has the same trend as the last decade, Barrow is going to see this a lot more often.

Still, it's gonna be a lot colder for a lot longer, come January and February, than any winter in MN. Then we have spring! Then it's only -20F, the chill factor gets above -50F, and everybody is out working on their part of spring whaling.

Snow removal here is indeed fun to watch! Those guys running around in those big front end loaders are really really good! You'll notice they have a bit of a delicate touch, and can skim within fractions of an inch of you car, or anything else. What's also fun to watch is next spring when they've been doing snow all winter and suddenly have to deal with gravel and dirt! They look sort of clumsy for a week or two as they all re-adjust to the difference.

I don't remember if you told us before what grades you teach, or which school? And are you getting out an meeting people in the community away from the school system? If you're interested, the BASC Saturday Schoolyard outreach program is almost always interesting, and it has a small loyal following of local folks who show up with regularity.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:44 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,658,211 times
Quote:
file:///Users/beckie.campbell/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png (broken link)file:///Users/beckie.campbell/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-1.png (broken link)
Opps, I see you edited that article and tried to add a couple images.

It won't work if you use the [IMG]http://... [/IMG] directives on anything other than an http link. Yours are references to files on you computer, and C-D can't access your computer, so it doesn't work.

You can do that if you upload them directly to C-D, though the interface for viewers isn't as nice. The best way is to put them on a web site (your own, or something like flickr.com), and use the [IMG]http://... [/IMG] directives to link to them in that way.

Last edited by Floyd_Davidson; 11-21-2010 at 11:09 AM..

Old 11-21-2010, 10:58 AM

24 posts, read 56,004 times
Thanks Floyd.
I am a tech dork. Struggle with multiple remotes so uploading pics is not an easy thing for me. Was trying to upload the pic of the snowdrift. I teach first at Ipalook . I have meet many wonderful people. My husband and I have socialized quite often. Saturdays are my recoup day and if I can get away without getting out of my sweats all day, I do. I will some time, come to the Saturday meeting. Enjoying my time here in Barrow. I love seeing the pictures you post. Enjoy your day.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:29 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
While some of you in Alaska may be getting blasted by snow, it has been raining (frozen rain) all around the interior. The Richardson, Parks, and all roads around Fairbanks and vicinity are covered with a film of ice. The rain hits the cold pavement and freezes like an ice rink. This is one of the few times every winter when studded tires make a difference. However, we have a few inches of snow on the ground (backyards and such) because it has been snowing on/off for the past few days

Old 11-22-2010, 01:14 PM

693 posts, read 1,607,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
While some of you in Alaska may be getting blasted by snow, it has been raining (frozen rain) all around the interior. The Richardson, Parks, and all roads around Fairbanks and vicinity are covered with a film of ice. The rain hits the cold pavement and freezes like an ice rink. This is one of the few times every winter when studded tires make a difference. However, we have a few inches of snow on the ground (backyards and such) because it has been snowing on/off for the past few days
Sounds like where I grew up in NC. Couple of inches of ice on the roads, and then the trees start coming down. Fun times. Hope you get some snow on top of that soon!

Old 11-22-2010, 03:00 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,870,783 times
Quote:
Thanks Floyd.
I am a tech dork. Struggle with multiple remotes so uploading pics is not an easy thing for me. Was trying to upload the pic of the snowdrift. I teach first at Ipalook . I have meet many wonderful people. My husband and I have socialized quite often. Saturdays are my recoup day and if I can get away without getting out of my sweats all day, I do. I will some time, come to the Saturday meeting. Enjoying my time here in Barrow. I love seeing the pictures you post. Enjoy your day.
Sounds like your settling in quite well! We love Homer area too. Lots of snow a week or so ago, but mostly melted off now. I can go out on the deck in my bare feet! Sitting out on the deck last night I had two moose come traipsing through the yard. Amazing thing even after six months of being in Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska