Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:24 AM

206 posts, read 514,693 times

Advertisements

So just curious if this is considered Blizzard weather or not, i know all three schools were cancelled due to "Adverse weather conditions".

Last night i left work at 1 AM and i could not even park my car in its normal spot due to the snow drifts, i spent 30 minutes shoveling an open parking spot on the other side that seemed to have less buildup. 5 am i went out to look at how bad it got and the snow had piled up around the cars outside to around 18"-24" or so, almost 2 feet.

I decided to be a good neighbor and dug out the complexes cars, the whole time telling my self to stop cause i bet school will be cancelled. Yeah well 45 minutes later i finish and go inside to my wife telling me school is closed. Its the thought that counts right ?

Anyhow, just curious if any of you Barrow vets call this a blizzard or this is just a breezy day with some snow mixed in

Be safe everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 11:45 AM

6 posts, read 6,329 times
Sounds like a blizzard to me, But of course I am in Florida with my shorts on......lol

Old 11-17-2010, 12:11 PM

206 posts, read 514,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebishop View Post
Sounds like a blizzard to me, But of course I am in Florida with my shorts on......lol
Heh my upstairs neighbors have there heaters on so high i tend to sit in my shorts when i am at home, least it feels like Florida at home

Old 11-17-2010, 12:25 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,661,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradiin View Post
So just curious if this is considered Blizzard weather or not, i know all three schools were cancelled due to "Adverse weather conditions".
It's a bit out of the ordinary in only one way, the amount of snow coming down is enough that the NWS described it as "heavy snow; blowing snow" for several hours this morning. But even at that... we're talking about less than 1/2 of an inch in several hours.

The school closure was due to snow drifts on the roads making it impossible for buses to get through until the Department of Municipal Services can clear the roads. Here's what was being reported at 6 AM:
POST ROGERS MEMORIAL AIRPORT, AK, United States
Weather reported at: Wed Nov 17 05:53:00 2010 AKST
Wind : from the SW at 33 MPH gusting to 46 MPH
Visibility : 1/4 mile
Sky conditions : overcast
Weather : Heavy snow; Blowing snow
Precip. in last hour: 0.05 inches
Temperature : 24.1 F
Windchill : 6 F
Dew Point : 24.1 F
Relative Humidity : 100%
Quote:
Last night i left work at 1 AM and i could not even park my car in its normal spot due to the snow drifts, i spent 30 minutes shoveling an open parking spot on the other side that seemed to have less buildup. 5 am i went out to look at how bad it got and the snow had piled up around the cars outside to around 18"-24" or so, almost 2 feet.
Welcome to the Arctic! :-)

The trick, if you can manage it, is to put in some kind of a "snow fence" at the right location and distance from where you park. The trouble with this storm is that right now the wind is not from the east, and most wind here is. So if you have a snow fence east of your parking spot, it didn't do much good this time!

Otherwise, you'll learn some other tricks. Like parking as close to a developing snow drift as you can, and maybe edging into it several inches. That's because if you don't it's just going to grow from where it is anyway, if the wind is "wrong". If the wind is "right", it will clear out a bit of room between your car and the drift! Make the wind work for you, if possible.

Quote:
I decided to be a good neighbor and dug out the complexes cars, the whole time telling my self to stop cause i bet school will be cancelled. Yeah well 45 minutes later i finish and go inside to my wife telling me school is closed. Its the thought that counts right ?
The best policy is to let it be until it's done blowing, if possible. Cause whatever area you just cleared is going to blow in mighty fast with 35 MPH winds.

Snow drifts very little up to about a 22 MPH wind. Above 30 MPH or so you have to be careful where you go, because it may be clear on the way, and impassible in 10 or 15 minutes when you want to go back.
Quote:
Anyhow, just curious if any of you Barrow vets call this a blizzard or this is just a breezy day with some snow mixed in
This is just life on the North Slope. You're going to see more, and worse. By next April you'll think -20F is awful warm, and the questions with a snow drift are can you drive through it (new snow) or can you walk on it (old wind blown snow). Everything in between is bothersome.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:45 AM

204 posts, read 472,722 times
Wow, Barrow seems like a nice place to stay inside... =)

Old 11-18-2010, 01:21 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,661,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAFBoundYankee View Post
Wow, Barrow seems like a nice place to stay inside... =)
What fun would that be?

Old 11-18-2010, 01:42 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,440,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
What fun would that be?
No, fun!!

Old 11-18-2010, 12:21 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,662,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradiin View Post

Be safe everyone.
Well, that's what we in Minnesota call January, but sure, you can call it a blizzard

Old 11-20-2010, 07:46 PM

27 posts, read 62,808 times
My little house on the tundra was a rockin in that wind, rocked me right to sleep. I felt like being on a cruise in my house, good thing I don't get sea sick.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:05 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,516,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis4011 View Post
My little house on the tundra was a rockin in that wind, rocked me right to sleep. I felt like being on a cruise in my house, good thing I don't get sea sick.
I didn't hear or feel a thing. The walls in the new hospital housing would mask the sound of nuclear bombs going off.

The snow was nice to watch though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska