Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:10 PM

178 posts, read 250,825 times

Advertisements

Just a few quick observations from a recent transplant.

Length of daylight right now in the interior is not much different then back in the -48. I get up and the sun is starting to rise, around 6:00 pm or so it's getting dark/twilight. In another couple of weeks, we will have more average daylight then back in the -48.

That being said . . . I was warned that if you try and hole up during winter and play hermit you will soon go stark raving mad from cabin fever. Given that warning I thought I would have to make it a point to find things to do and get out of the house.

Boy, was I mistaken. I'm having trouble trying to find time to fit in all of the things that are going on around here during the colder months. Other than on the most brutally cold days there is snow shoeing, cross country skiing, sledding, downhill skiing, even just building snow forts with the kidlet. I haven't even managed to get on a snow machine yet, but it's on the list.

Winterfest is fast approaching and there are a ton of community events going on around town. Best part is the stuff the Community has planned and organized for the kiddies.

Today in School, my 9 y/o son learned how to snow shoe and how to Ice Sculpt. Where else in the world is that going to happen? Next week there are a dizzying array of activities scheduled at the school for the kids. Ice skating, avalanche safety training, how to use a gps to get help, community chili dinner, bake sales . . . Just way too many cool things to even begin to mention.

And this is on top of the "normal routine" stuff that goes on. Kidlet does Karate on Mondays, Tuesday is violin, Wednesday is a cooking class after school. (I'm not talking boil water and scramble eggs cooking class either. This week he brought home a completely prepped whole chicken, a huge pan of root vegetables and squash all seasoned and ready to go and from scratch cheddar cheese biscuits. All I had to do was pop it in the oven when we got home). Thursday is art and Friday is hang with the family movie night.

We never had this many activities available back in El Paso.

I am stunned at the level of community involvement. If winter is this busy, I may not survive summer.

Plus, there are all the other big events that are happening/coming up. Yukon Quest just finishing up, Furrondy is coming up as well as the Iditarod.

All this and we haven't even hit March yet. I think that even if I lived here for a hundred years I would barely have the time to experience a fraction of what this place has to offer.

Nikki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:12 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,721 times
And if you think it is busy in the winter, wait till summer! Glad to hear you are getting adapted to your new life in Alaska.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
It's so refreshing to see your infectious good cheer about your new life!

Old 02-19-2011, 12:27 AM

178 posts, read 250,825 times
Thanks guys! It's been such a whirlwind trying to wrap my head around all of this.

Nikki

Old 02-19-2011, 02:37 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,827,396 times
As if I wasn't jealous enough before.....! Glad you are enjoying your new Alaska life! Sounds like you are fitting in very well. Anybody even talking about summer events yet? With looooong hours of daylight, and much civil twilight between sunrise and sunset, I'm sure there will be plenty going on 24/7!

Old 02-19-2011, 02:41 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,827,396 times
Btw you are right. I have done some research on daylight hours for Wasilla during the winter months as compared to Seattle. Later sunrises, but sunsets are nearly the same, and a little extra twilight as well away from the solstice. Doesn't seem too bad at all!

Old 02-19-2011, 03:42 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiV View Post
Just a few quick observations from a recent transplant.

Other than on the most brutally cold days there is snow shoeing, cross country skiing, sledding, downhill skiing, even just building snow forts with the kidlet. I haven't even managed to get on a snow machine yet, but it's on the list.

Winterfest is fast approaching and there are a ton of community events going on around town. Best part is the stuff the Community has planned and organized for the kiddies.

I am stunned at the level of community involvement. If winter is this busy, I may not survive summer.

Plus, there are all the other big events that are happening/coming up. Yukon Quest just finishing up, Furrondy is coming up as well as the Iditarod.

All this and we haven't even hit March yet. I think that even if I lived here for a hundred years I would barely have the time to experience a fraction of what this place has to offer.

Nikki
All of these activities is what attracts me to Alaska. It is very refreshing to read your exitement about your new life there and glad you feel "right at home". I wish I had a way to move up to Alaska right away but I must make sure I build my money supply first since I will be a single income but I am great at planning and organizing so reading your blog makes me smile and even more determined. Great things are in store for you with your wonderful outlook and enthusiasm... Have a great day today Nikki

Old 02-19-2011, 03:43 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,034,350 times
Great post Nikki.

You are right, in a small active community like Healy you will stay busy all year long.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:53 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Nikki....so wonderful to "feel" the enthusiasm thru your words! sounds like Healy is the fit for you and kidlet!! how wonderful you found your home! congrat's!

Old 02-19-2011, 07:45 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,511 times
Have a blast and yep rest up for summer. Sleep is something to do when dead in the summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska