Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:41 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times

Advertisements

With a Taurus? Not much. A small pop up. With very few amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 05:42 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
Mr. Bob...are you wanting to pull a camper with your car to Alaska???.....you really might want to consider buying a small RV and I mean small! you live in FL where it is the capital for buying small RV's in great shape...ask for some help in what would be best for you and your price range...that way you wouldn't have to camp in a tent your could have a companion or 2 given the size to defray expense for travel around Alaska or anywhere else for that matter.....self contained so you can cook, sleep, drive, and have wireless connection all in your own little camper!!

Old 03-01-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
If you pull a trailer that exceeds the maximum capacity and you end up in an accident, it may constitute negligence and open the door pretty wide for damages that would ruin most folks financially.
That was my point. I have a 1 ton SRW and I am looking at 32 footers and coming close to hitch capacities... Although 5th wheels I have more weight leeway.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:26 PM

291 posts, read 800,683 times
There are some light weight travel trailers that can be pulled with a half ton truck - but you have to be careful because dry weight is very different from loaded weight. Also, some half ton trucks are not able to tow very much. It would be best to get a half ton truck with a tow package and then you would be safe with a small lightweight trailer. Anything bigger than a lightweight will need at least a 3/4 ton truck.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:15 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,362,592 times
I could always sell the travel trailer that might be too large at a good price...

Old 03-02-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
Mr. Bob...are you wanting to pull a camper with your car to Alaska???.....you really might want to consider buying a small RV and I mean small! you live in FL where it is the capital for buying small RV's in great shape...ask for some help in what would be best for you and your price range...that way you wouldn't have to camp in a tent your could have a companion or 2 given the size to defray expense for travel around Alaska or anywhere else for that matter.....self contained so you can cook, sleep, drive, and have wireless connection all in your own little camper!!
Taking crysler 200. staying in hotels and light tent camping. think should take spare tire with rim? should travel light this time. two bags two people. I will buy debit gift cards for back up food purchases. April 8th be good leave.. Florida to Alaska.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:28 AM

Cool beans Bob...

Traveling light is a good idea if taking a Chrysler 300... Can't pull a 25ft Travel Trailer with that car (sorry about that). Car suspensions just are not setup to pull weight, even though the motor can probably handle it, the frame, brakes, and suspension can't. It isn't just about forward, but stopping, steering, and having the frame of the vehicle hold together with the weight shifts are important too.

So tent camping sounds like a plan, yes indeed!

Brign extra $$ for fuel. Gas hitting $4/gal now. Not towing is good for the pocketbook! I have figured out I can now Hotel/Motel and rent a car and be cheaper than pulling a trailer with my diesel truck... (Unless someone needs something moved from the Southeast to the Pac NW or Alaska)

Old 03-02-2011, 11:16 AM

Dakster: Chrysler 200 just take only. the travel trailer will be up in Alaska with the truck. Does anyone look for real estate along the way at same time drive to Alaska?

Old 03-02-2011, 06:58 PM

AAAAHHHHHH. I see now! Gotcha. Good plan.

If you were interested in buying land, I would look as I am driving up...

Old 03-03-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
AAAAHHHHHH. I see now! Gotcha. Good plan.

If you were interested in buying land, I would look as I am driving up...
Chrysler 200 guess would have to worry a bit more for always filling up at gas stations. MPG unfriendly.. Think local firestone can rig outside gas cans holder at the rear end of car? Good for 10 more gallons of gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska