Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 01:47 AM

4 posts, read 7,938 times

Advertisements

yes I have no desire to smuggle or assist in smuggling. but if I can get the good stuff for cheap itd be worth getting a few pounds just to mess around with. I have definitely spent more money on less worthwhile ventures. But I definitely think ivory jewelry would be great out here in the midwest farmers markets and ski area shops I'll lok into the fur exchange. that $100 markup you mentioned is silly but ya gotta start somewhere!

Old 08-13-2011, 01:53 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthesizable View Post
yes I have no desire to smuggle or assist in smuggling. but if I can get the good stuff for cheap itd be worth getting a few pounds just to mess around with. I have definitely spent more money on less worthwhile ventures. But I definitely think ivory jewelry would be great out here in the midwest farmers markets and ski area shops
I can guarantee you that YOU will make a lot of money so easy by doing this @ home no matter where you live.

Women spend lots of money ... on their "ears". Invest some money in ivory; make the same simple shapes that we do. Get the boxes.

All you have to do is show your products and say the word Ivory!

Old 08-13-2011, 02:02 AM

women will always need danglies for their ears and wrists!

Old 08-13-2011, 02:06 AM

That simple fact will put lots of money in your pocket; IF you take the time; to make these simple shapes and polish them - you cannot possibly fail; I say that because hundreds of families in the Arctic do this for a living; it is the only way they have to generate an income and they have been doing this for hundreds of years.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:14 AM

It blows my mind how thats even possible. I have a friend down here who became a professional glass blower. He makes a hefty sum making pipes and 'toys' but still barely makes rent. Its crazy to think ivory jewelry is still that desirable. Especially up in AK, doesn't everyone have ivory by now? I guess as a guy I may never understand!

Old 08-15-2011, 12:05 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times
Default Thanks for an amazing thread

What an amazing thread, the best one I've ever read on City-Data or maybe anywhere. It took me a looong time to read all 40 pages (so far) but it was hard to stop because it is just so darn interesting.

Thank you so much for the photographs, you are gifted there as well. Many people also cannot explain clearly how they do something but you have a teachers mind and are a visual artist.

My hubby and I are going to be in Anchorage in a week and a half and would love to buy something of your family's work but I can't tell if you are still there or back in Barrow already. I've learned a lot already about ivory and the different types.

Hope to hear from you but if not thanks for a great thread.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:30 PM

Default WoW!! What a STATEMENT !!

Imagardner ! Thank you! so much for your kind works and your keen observations - It was truly refreshing to hear someone recognize the effort and work that went into presenting this thread in a manner so easily understood by the average person.

A teacher's mind ? Well that has been my job for many decades- teaching, many different subjects.

I am still in Anchorage. But that could literally change any day now.

The Native Hospital here in Anchorage has lots of our Bracelets & Ear-rings on display in the gift shop. There are a few other places here in town that display our work also.

Two Spirits, The Rock Shop, The Heritage Center out on Muldoon, Rasmusen,
Foundation, Alaska Native Arts Foundation are just but a few places I know of @ the moment.

Thanks again for spending your valuable time, viewing our work & most of all for taking the time to comment!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska