Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:50 PM

468 posts, read 799,706 times

Advertisements

My husband dutifully went off to an education job fair today and came home very excited about a job possibility in Metlakatla. That was not what I was expecting! He has already applied for positions in Wyoming and Montana, but nothing more remote than that.

I am open to new adventures and definitely recognize that if we do this, this will be different than any adventure we thought we would have. I have never lived anywhere that is only accessible by boat or plane.

Has anyone lived there or been there? How do you find housing? I am not even sure what other questions to ask, as I am still trying to wrap my head around his idea.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 09:24 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Nice, nice people on Metlakatla. The Tsimshians are noted for their graciousness and thier vibrant culture. Here's U-Tube of the Native dancers:

YouTube - Metlakatla native dancers-Sept-19-2008

It's only a short ferry ride to Ketchikan; the plane ride is just up and down and takes only a few minutes, so not as remote as some places in AK. It's also a sovereign nation by the way, and a dry community. It rains a lot. Some of the terrain there is unlike anything else in SE Alaska and almost reminds me of the mesas in southern Utah in a weird way.

Housing...the school district should be able to help you out with that.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:46 PM

I looked up some pictures of Annette Island and I definitely see what you mean about how it could remind you of the mesas in southern Utah.

Thanks for the video! That was really cool.

My husband also came home talking about another school system near the Bering Straights or something. I know I am not ready for that remote.

Thanks again!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Also---as far as flying south for holidays to see family, or having them fly up to visit you, it's much easier and less expensive than places farther north.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:10 PM

854 posts, read 1,978,088 times
i kind of like working for the bssd. they're excellent employers.
this is too remote for most, though.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
i kind of like working for the bssd. they're excellent employers.
this is too remote for most, though.
That is the school district he was talking about. After poking around on the internet, I read really great things about them. Definitely too remote for me though. I think if my husband had conceived this idea about 15 years ago, he would be there, if possible.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 7,209 times
Does anyone know if they have teacher designated housing in Metlakatla?

Old 01-16-2012, 11:33 AM

162 posts, read 362,113 times
Metlakatla is very nice- I don't think I would chose to live there but that's mostly because I like having a big grocery store and such, plus I kind of like the Sealaska checks we get a bit too much to give them up. The folks who live in Met get pretty good healthcare through the tribal clinic- as someone who was invited to live there you might get that too.
Everyone is very kind and generous and will gladly welcome you into their home. You would certainly never have to worry about being stuck without a place to live.
The last time I was there I took some pictures, sadly my internet has crapped out and I can't seem to upload them. Maybe later.
There's a pretty good grocery store and a hardware store. No restaurants that I know of. Tongass Federal CU has a tiny branch there for banking. There's a church where a lot of the cultural events are held, and a big clinic that also has a museum with some pretty interesting exhibits about how people ended up on Annette Island. Basically, they were originally settled over in British Columbia but one of the missionaries disagreed with the church about how to handle Native folk and petitioned the US government to give him some land on the US side of the border for a reservation and they did- so Annette Island IR is the only reservation in Alaska. He moved his followers there and the rest is history. This guy was actually kind of a jerk and of the "Native people are pagans that must be civilized" persuasion but luckily that mindset has died out and the Tsimshian that live there now have returned to dancing and building totems and other such "pagan" rituals.
Across the water is Ketchikan which has most of the other amenities you might need. We have a Safeway and a Walmart, a mall, bookstores, art galleries, a 2-screen movie theater (though they play the same movies for like a month and if we do get a movie it's not until after the bigger theaters in Juneau are done showing it and are kind enough to send it down). We also have an airport with multiple flights to Seattle and Juneau daily. Metlakatla has some kind of airport but I think only Taquan Air serves it commercially and you'd only be able to fly to Ketchikan and maybe Prince of Whales. The MV Lituya is the ferry that goes to Met, I've never ridden it though because we have a skiff that we take over.

Hopefully that's helpful. I'll see what I can do about the pics- they're pretty good.

[EDIT: oh goodness, I did not realize how old this thread was. May still be helpful though...]

Old 01-16-2012, 12:38 PM

Thanks! My husband ended up getting a job in Atqasuk, on the North Slope. Kinda fun to look back on this since this is what started our journey to AK. I have to giggle a bit now since back then I thought Met was so far "out there" and now I am really out there in the middle of the tundra.lol I would definitely be closer to a Walmart if he had gotten that job. It turned out they had a record number of applications for the school counselor position.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:28 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,661 times
A family member's wife is from Metlakatla, though she moved to the lower 48. She is a very sweet and beautiful gal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska