Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is alaska worth living considering the high cost of living compared to other states with much low co
yes 16 59.26%
yupp sure 5 18.52%
no 3 11.11%
not at all 4 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:00 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times

Advertisements

why oh why do people who want to leave the -48's want what they are leaving behind??? should stay where you are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:19 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Dude, I don't think anyone eats Taco Bell thinking it's health food or environmentally friendly.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:48 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,230,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Don't mean to sound like an arrogant, urban-liberal type, but Taco Bell is seriously about as bad as it gets. There have been all kinds of things published that show how low quality their meat - and food in general - really is. Here in WNC, I buy either bison or chicken from the local farmers at a very low price (bison is 5.99/lb) and just make my own tacos for easily as cheap as Taco Bell, and I don't have to worry about what might be in my food. In Alaska, like Met mentioned, you could use halibut, salmon, moose, or whatever else you can get that is sourced locally, and it is better for you in every way. Not only is it better for you, it's better for everyone, because buying locally caught/raised/grown food and produce is much more environmentally sound than buying from Taco Bell, where everything has to be shipped up via air cargo. I have eaten Taco Bell one singular time in the past two years, and it was after a concert that ended late, and I was... rather impaired.

Just a thought.
I agree with you but unfortunatly you cant buy wild game meat you HAVE to hunt it and that requires a pretty drastic life style change. Also it would be sweet if bison were only 6$/lb here, I think every now and then fredmeyers has it on sale for 8$/lb, thats pretty spending to be feeding a family of 4 on unless your making some bucks. Fish as costco is not too bad again if your only feeding 2, but 4 could become an issue.

My wife and I have started into the whole foods thing becuase our waists cant survive things like taco bell anymore but when we have kids they are going to have to eat cheaper food especially a teen boy (if we have a boy), its just way to expensive to feed 4 people like that, unless everyone eats way less which I guess would be good for everyones waist line.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:08 PM

99 posts, read 220,267 times
The stuff at some of the fast food places might be a dollar or two more expensive on the road system. Off the road system, I'm pretty sure there isn't any fast food.

on the road system, if you buy at big box stores in bulk it will still be more expensive, but not by that much. If you live in somewhere like Barrow stuff will cost a lot more.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:17 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I agree with you but unfortunatly you cant buy wild game meat you HAVE to hunt it and that requires a pretty drastic life style change.
Whatchyou talkin' about...

Most of the time around here, we get offered Moose, Caribou, Salmon, Pike, Sheefish, Halibut, Grouse, or whatever, for FREE!

People go out and fish, bring back about 200 lbs too much and you'll get an email about 20 minutes after that person gets back saying "Hey we have some <enter species of fish/fowl/mammal here>, come by grab a coffee a shower if you need it and get some.".

Hell I gave someone the back half of a Moose last fall (both legs and half the ribs, but kept the Sirloin and Fillet) simply because I had more than enough to see me in Moose for the winter. I wasn't going to keep it all when I had more than enough and there's people who can use it and see out the winter without worrying about whether they can afford groceries, or get into Fairbanks.

Everyone here also knows if they get a Blackie, a porcupine, or a beaver I'm all for taking the meat too. For some reason most people don't eat these.

You don't HAVE to hunt, fish trap, you just need to know people who do hunt, fish, trap, and they're not exactly rare in this state.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:33 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,603,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
The commercial for Subway here in Bethel is "$8 8 $8 foot longs."

Really?? Thanks now I have that annoying song stuck in my head only with 8 instead of 5!!!

I wouldn't pay 5$ for one of their subs. No way I'd pay 8.

One upside I can see about prices that high is you're more likely to cook at home. Hopefully that means you're eating healthier foods.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Whatchyou talkin' about...

Most of the time around here, we get offered Moose, Caribou, Salmon, Pike, Sheefish, Halibut, Grouse, or whatever, for FREE!

People go out and fish, bring back about 200 lbs too much and you'll get an email about 20 minutes after that person gets back saying "Hey we have some <enter species of fish/fowl/mammal here>, come by grab a coffee a shower if you need it and get some.".

Hell I gave someone the back half of a Moose last fall (both legs and half the ribs, but kept the Sirloin and Fillet) simply because I had more than enough to see me in Moose for the winter. I wasn't going to keep it all when I had more than enough and there's people who can use it and see out the winter without worrying about whether they can afford groceries, or get into Fairbanks.

Everyone here also knows if they get a Blackie, a porcupine, or a beaver I'm all for taking the meat too. For some reason most people don't eat these.

You don't HAVE to hunt, fish trap, you just need to know people who do hunt, fish, trap, and they're not exactly rare in this state.
I read your blog, and it's pretty amazing to see how great you guys are doing. I never really considered the fact you didn't have to hunt/catch everything your eat. I just figured you went to Fairbanks if you didn't catch enough. I mean I knew you hunted, but that's just so drastically different than how I live I never really precessed it. I guess your sharing meat is like my friends and I sharing veggies from our gardens. You don't want to see it go bad, so you share with someone who needs it.

I love reading your BLOG, and I can't wait to see how things work out =)

Old 04-26-2011, 08:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
The lady with the halibut tacos is on Prince of Wales. But I think it's pretty common in these areas for people to have some food at yard sales.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,290,066 times
Went to Subway today, turns out my memory is defective. We have $7 footlongs, not $6. Cost $9 for a 6" chicken bacon ranch, Cheetos, and chocolate milk.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Went to Subway today, turns out my memory is defective. We have $7 footlongs, not $6. Cost $9 for a 6" chicken bacon ranch, Cheetos, and chocolate milk.
They're 5$ here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska