Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 08:15 PM

840 posts, read 6,514,145 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get a job in (Cordova) Alaska. Has anyone driven from the Pacific Northwest to Alaska? I want to compare airfare costs to driving. I don't mind the long drive. So far, it seems driving would be a little cheaper but not by much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 08:26 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
I've done the reverse commute (Alaska to Oregon). Driving is a lot more fun, especially if you take some time to explore the areas around the Alcan Highway. Canadians are very helpful and welcoming in BC and Yukon.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:41 PM

131 posts, read 533,272 times
I've driven a number of times and also taken the Ferry a few times. The Ferry can be a blast.

Driving is great too. Parts of the Yukon and Norther BC are things most people well never see and it's amazing. I still have many vivid pictures in my mind.

I have driven back and forth to California a number of times.

I'll try to help if you have any questions

Enjoy

Old 08-02-2007, 10:15 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
I just drove from Alaska to Montana via Kamloops/Kelowna/Peachland/ and Okanoga BC. This by far is my favorite border crossing because of the scenery. I spent around 900 on gas/lodging. Met a lot of friendly people on the drive. I took my parents along this trip. We're heading back up to Alaska next week thru Alberta on the east route. Just drive up, you will have fun!

Old 08-02-2007, 10:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
I think flying might be cheaper in the short term but you're probably going to want your car up there.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:11 AM

69 posts, read 320,907 times
You can't drive to Cordova. You can drive to Valdez and take the ferry.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:05 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,368,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
I'm trying to get a job in (Cordova) Alaska. Has anyone driven from the Pacific Northwest to Alaska? I want to compare airfare costs to driving. I don't mind the long drive. So far, it seems driving would be a little cheaper but not by much.
I've heard from everyone everywhere that you shouldn't miss out on the drive up there. But financially speaking, when I got down to the nitty gritty, I was looking (myself) at paying 1400 (at least) in gas just to get up there. Not including lodgings, food, possible mid-route emergency car repair. And the first flight I looked up landed at $252. ...

Hope this helps, metlakatla is right, you might want your car up there.. but there are ways around that. Either way you go let us know

Old 08-03-2007, 09:30 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

I've looked into flights from Seattle and Portland and are both between $400-$550. With the mileage I get from my car, I usually get somewhere in the mid-30's per gallon (pretty good for a '91) for highway driving. Even when I estimate gas prices higher than it really is (as I always do on a trip) driving to Alaska would run anywhere between $400-$500, which is about the same or cheaper depending on how you look at it. I would have to drive to these airport with Portland being the closest at about 6 hours away.

FishTaxi, is there a ferry that holds cars?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:52 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,368,636 times
Alaska Marine Highway Ferry System Reservation and Ticketing Agent

Is somewhere you would want to start looking. When I called them, they estimated about $900 from Bellingham to Whittier, for the car, and it was another 400 (?) for the driver.. but said during the winter months, the drivers ride free. (you would still need to plan financially for food and boarding while on the trip, it can be a few days at sea, and you can visit your car everytime the ship docks/ports.

I would try calling, because the prices I mentioned above are off the top of my head. I wrote them down, but have no idea where I put it. - the part about driver riding free though, is for the business aspect. Generally all fights, chartered or international, travel-by-sea, or car-transport services are much cheaper in the wintertime, for overal gas prices.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Kitten View Post
Alaska Marine Highway Ferry System Reservation and Ticketing Agent

Is somewhere you would want to start looking. When I called them, they estimated about $900 from Bellingham to Whittier, for the car, and it was another 400 (?) for the driver.. but said during the winter months, the drivers ride free. (you would still need to plan financially for food and boarding while on the trip, it can be a few days at sea, and you can visit your car everytime the ship docks/ports.

I would try calling, because the prices I mentioned above are off the top of my head. I wrote them down, but have no idea where I put it. - the part about driver riding free though, is for the business aspect. Generally all fights, chartered or international, travel-by-sea, or car-transport services are much cheaper in the wintertime, for overal gas prices.
Well now that I see the prices, I'm thinking flying in would be the way to go. Thanks for the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska