Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:32 AM

89 posts, read 185,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
OK...some communities in Alaska do have a municipal sales tax and I think that system works pretty well. The tourists that come here all have to pay it if they visit a place that has it. We have one here; it's 5.5. I don't think Anchorage has one and they probably should to get some of that tourist loot.

As Marty said earlier, the gov. really can't do much, so I'd have to be a dictator as well in order to institute the changes I would want. First of all I'd get rid of the offshore jewelry stores in the port cities and after that I would get rid of the halibut cops or at least redefine their job descriptions to disallow them them to waste time and money calling people on the telephone and acting like idjits. Then I would institute an idjit tax; for instance, if you called 911 because you saw a bear by a creek, you would be charged an idjit tax. I would revive the "traveler's aid" program that Alaska had at one time that provided a one way ticket out of state for those who end up broke and stranded here, because that saved the state trouble and money in the long run. I would make Alaska Summer Ale cheaper here than it is in the -48.
I'd vote for you for president! Awesome ideas. Punish stupidity. Everybody makes mistakes but they will keep making them if you dont let them know it was a mistake. Fish & Game/ Police and elected officals should be held to the highest standards and be more forgiving to the general public. This stuff could work in every state. If somebody cant find a job and wants to suck off the system they should only have 6 months. After that send them somewhere they can work, down the street or to another state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 11:34 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,543 times
I agree with you Ray about too much taxes. But I think government should be run with income only from direct taxation of it's people. Whether that is a sales tax or an income tax or a property tax it should come from the people.

The government shouldn't be run with bonded debt because that is taxiing people in the future.

It shouldn't be run from corporate taxes and royalties like Alaska is because there is a disconnect from the money Alaska spends compared to the amount it taxes the people. I do think it should be able to tax corporations but the money should be distributed to the people and then taxed back. It's when the money leaves our pockets that we think about how our government is spending it.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:46 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,019,420 times
Tax rates should be electronically linked to voter rolls. Thus, the amount a person pays in taxes would be determined by which candidate/party they voted for. Also, a person's vote should be weighted by a factor equal to their overal tax contribution - i.e. votes from those that pay no taxes would receive a corresponding multiplier of zero.

Individuals should be held financially responsible for their own votes - that would straighten things out pretty darn quick!

Last edited by Moose Whisperer; 05-30-2011 at 12:00 PM..

Old 05-30-2011, 12:55 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
I agree with you Ray about too much taxes. But I think government should be run with income only from direct taxation of it's people. Whether that is a sales tax or an income tax or a property tax it should come from the people.

The government shouldn't be run with bonded debt because that is taxiing people in the future.

It shouldn't be run from corporate taxes and royalties like Alaska is because there is a disconnect from the money Alaska spends compared to the amount it taxes the people. I do think it should be able to tax corporations but the money should be distributed to the people and then taxed back. It's when the money leaves our pockets that we think about how our government is spending it.
A lot of the taxes we have been paying for years are school-bond taxes, plus property and other taxes, . The problem I see with any government is overspending, and then having to imposed higher taxes on all workers and property owners to compensate for this overspending.

The more money the borough or city makes, the larger the budgets these create, and the more they waste. If you look at the workforce of the Fairbanks North Star Borough (or State, for that matter), it's not only nearly half of the total workforce in the borough, but one where the highest-paying jobs (wages and benefits) are, plus pensions. So, the borough must get money from somewhere to continue its budgets for generations to come, and this money comes primarily from the private sector (Home Depot, Lowe's, oil companies, mining companies, Sam's Club, a lot of large companies in town, shopping centers, and finally, home owners like you and me. Include in this mix people in low-income status who may own a home, people in fixed-incomes (retirees), and so forth. On top of that, every time you pump a gallon of fuel in your automobile's tank, or buy a gallon of heating fuel for your home, you are paying taxes.

These are the Fairbanks North Star Borough departments:
http://www.co.fairbanks.ak.us/depart...epartments.htm

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-30-2011 at 01:04 PM..

Old 05-30-2011, 11:41 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smtimelevi View Post
I'd vote for you for president! Awesome ideas. Punish stupidity. Everybody makes mistakes but they will keep making them if you dont let them know it was a mistake. Fish & Game/ Police and elected officals should be held to the highest standards and be more forgiving to the general public. This stuff could work in every state. If somebody cant find a job and wants to suck off the system they should only have 6 months. After that send them somewhere they can work, down the street or to another state.
Thanks. After today I doubt I could afford the pay cut, though

Old 05-31-2011, 09:36 AM

72,987 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Tax rates should be electronically linked to voter rolls. Thus, the amount a person pays in taxes would be determined by which candidate/party they voted for. Also, a person's vote should be weighted by a factor equal to their overal tax contribution - i.e. votes from those that pay no taxes would receive a corresponding multiplier of zero.

Individuals should be held financially responsible for their own votes - that would straighten things out pretty darn quick!
Sounds like voter intimidation if you ask me.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:36 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
3. Form all unorganized portions of Alaska, (the parts not currently in a borough), into one big borough.

4. Allow boroughs to tax and regulate, (ignore all federal regs), all resource development in their areas.
I am afraid that I would be forced to assassinate you as the Alaskan Dictator for proposing items #3 and #4.

Those two propositions would ensure that Alaskans would never be able to own any property, ever. Only when property is not taxed, can it truly be owned.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:57 PM

455 posts, read 743,469 times
If I were governor of Alaska, here's what I would promise:

"A ptarmigan in every pot and a snowmachine in every garage."

1. To stimulate tourism, pave a 4-lane highway to Nondalton and open an amusement park "Six Mile Flags over Alaska". Pretty sure I get Arcticbushrat's vote for this one.
2. Institute a state-wide moose domestication initiative. Catchy slogan will be "Domoosticate the Wild". Export moose products all over the world; be known as the "Argentina of the North".
3. Ban the sales, manufacture of, and posting about fossil ivory bracelets.
4. Build a giant array of mirrors which would deflect light from across the Pacific to remote areas of the North Slope during winter months. Assert the right of every Alaskan to live with sun, year 'round.
5. Buy a frick'n national sports franchise for Anchorage for chrissakes. If Green Bay can have the Packers why can't we move the Seahawks or Trailblazers up here??
6. Abolish all taxes completely. Institute a fair and balanced "idjit tax". Simply pay a flat $1 times your age for every stupid thing you say or do. Pretty sure we could retire all public debt in about 6 months.
7. Move the state capital to Attu. Why? Don't really know. I just think would be cool.
8. Ban all Discovery Network TV crews from entering Alaska with so much as a cell phone camera.
9. State subsidized free beer!
10. Drill directly to the east of ANWR. Pipe it over the border for huge profits. Double the PFD! If the Canadians make a stink, the official diplomatic response will be as follows: "Whatcha gonna do about it?"

Simple, effective governance. That's what I believe in. And if you can support this agenda please vote for me.

My name is ArcticState, and I approve of this message.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:01 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,732,927 times
ArticState....damn I can't rep ya...the beings of higher authority of this site are holding me hostage...can you add that in your promises to ...no limit on rep'n??? love you post! will run off to the photography forum and see if I can get rep'n rights back for here!

Old 05-31-2011, 02:19 PM

455 posts, read 743,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
ArticState....damn I can't rep ya...the beings of higher authority of this site are holding me hostage...can you add that in your promises to ...no limit on rep'n??? love you post! will run off to the photography forum and see if I can get rep'n rights back for here!
I will grant you a high cabinet post in my administration for your rep. Screw ethics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska