Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:48 PM

19 posts, read 92,319 times

Advertisements

Love your "I'm too blessed" signature line. I used to have it on my computer at work - reading it frequently throughout the day kept me focused on who I really work for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 08:18 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
Thank you.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:27 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
Haha I'm a man - what are the statistics for me? No way I'd want to live in Hawaii. Can you still snowmobile and stuff outside when its like 30 or 40 below? What about taking a trip to some hot springs?
Statistics are not needed for you becasuse moving here was your idea! You wouldn't want to prove your SO correct by admitting you may of possibly thought you might of made a timy mistake?

For all practicality and chill factors -20 is most peoples limits. We only VISIT Hawaii and usually only when forced by the SO. I have only been there once. Left the kids at home and after 10 days we were home sick!
Fairbanks has hot springs and snowmachine clubs that take rides to places like Dawson City, Yukon Territory and other cool places to visit.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:23 PM

13 posts, read 51,441 times
Hi As a woman in Fairbanks, I actually very much looked forward to winter. I worked seasonally in the summer and it is crazy in that business up there. With the extended summer daylight hours which seem to drive the body clock(It's daylight! It's daylight! I MUST be outside doing something 'cause winter is coming!), the frantic pace of work(yes, I'll cover that tour), socializing(How was business in Breckenridge last winter?) and family, I about collapsed in September when things slowed down! I was happy to hibernate with my winter activities til the days started to get longer and AK/Fairbanks and outside winter activities started in February.
My best tip--have a variety of lights set up in your house. Sometimes I needed soft, dim lighting: sometimes glaring overhead recessed lights. Also, I always had white Christmas twinkle lights up all over the house in winter. Gotta love your light sources.
One other thing I did was to be certian to get outside every day in whatever sunshine was available. Even if it was just to shake a rug or to challenge myself to a freezing walk up the driveway, I got out every day. I did all my errands around town between 10 am and 2 pm for years! The folks at the library knew my name!
Good luck

Old 08-12-2007, 02:38 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,802,821 times
I love winter. Last winter we got hammered by snow and I enjoyed every minute of it. As far as the short days go, deal with it. It's life up here.
I had no problem with it.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:49 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
The Christmas lights on the house do help. Makes it kinda nice to pull into the driveway at 4 or 5 PM and have the place looking cool for when you come home. I don't even need a yard light.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:13 AM

338 posts, read 1,368,854 times
I've always said my body was "in-tune" with nature. I arrived SE AK in late fall - dark rainy season. I immediately began gaining weight and sleeping a LOT more than normal. When I asked someone on the bus about sleeping so much, they asked if I was also gaining weight. They reinforced what I already knew - that my body was lining up with nature and to make the most of it. Sure enough, as the sky began to lighten (mid-winter) and into Spring, I began sleeping less and less until I was only lightly napping a couple of hours a night and wanting to go, go, go! It was pretty amazing really, in retrospect, but true. I never experienced problems with SAD or anything similar, but then again - I was only there one winter. *This* winter began early in the Midwest (everywhere, really) - like in November and is going strong (and we are only the end of Feb - mid-winter for us here), so I'm wondering how long "winter" will last. The days seem especially long with all the snow and darkness we've had. I'd say get some lights just in case - and *do* get out when you can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska