Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 AM

455 posts, read 743,586 times

Advertisements

We've planned a 3-night excursion into Denali and for the first time are staying at the Teklanika campground (we bought a "Tek Pass"). Anybody stayed there? Curious what your thoughts are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 03:39 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,297 times
We tented there two years ago and got a Tek pass as well. I would like to do it again.

There's a bus stop next to the campground entrance where you can catch the shuttle bus. The earlier the better. The wildlife tends to bed down if it gets too warm later in the day. It's at mile 29 and park service studies have shown the majority of wildlife sightings are from mile 30 and beyond.

I have a couple of campground photos near the bottom of this album.
https://picasaweb.google.com/AlaskaT...liNationalPark

Old 07-26-2011, 04:15 PM

455 posts, read 743,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
We tented there two years ago and got a Tek pass as well. I would like to do it again.

There's a bus stop next to the campground entrance where you can catch the shuttle bus. The earlier the better. The wildlife tends to bed down if it gets too warm later in the day. It's at mile 29 and park service studies have shown the majority of wildlife sightings are from mile 30 and beyond.

I have a couple of campground photos near the bottom of this album.
https://picasaweb.google.com/AlaskaT...liNationalPark
Thanks Chilkoot, appreciate the pictures. My son is a precocious 4 year old - I'm hoping he will be able to get his wigglies out tromping around. Good trails nearby for hiking?

Old 07-26-2011, 04:42 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,297 times
The good and bad of it is that there are a ton of places to hike and there are areas that are better suited for hiking but they are not well marked as any signage kind of defeats the wilderness purpose.

There's a nice hike across and down the road from Tek that follows a ridge with some nice views. The neat thing about the shuttle busses is that you can hop of and on just about anytime you want. Another hike was when we got off the bus just prior to Polychrome at the East Fork Toklat River at the bridge and then went down to where the artists cabin was near the river.

There is some info online that gives you some idea of where to hike but most of it is based on landmarks with no signage.

We used this site and then searched further for additional info on hikes. Check out 46 dayhikes.
Denali National Park Hiking, Photography and Camping

We're headed up next month for a couple days and will be hiking around the Eielson Visitor Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska