Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 11:22 PM

135 posts, read 438,619 times

Advertisements

Hi again

I was checking some information from the links that people provided regarding trip to Alaska- and one on them was about RV- and it sudenly hit me! Maybe instead of paying for a rental which I have already booked, we should rent an RV? That would solve our problems with all hostels and everything, but then where to park RV? Are there some special parkings for them in Alaska? DO you need to pay a fee for it? I talk about places where most people visit -Denali Park, Seward, Whitter, Valdez Talkeetna.
Also what campanies are good?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 08:47 AM

989 posts, read 2,864,407 times
We LOVED traveling in Alaska by RV and are so glad we didn't rent a car and stay at hotels or hostels. The reason was the flexibility with the RV- we could pretty much stay anywhere and we didn't have to commit ahead of time (except for Denali NP- we did get reservations in advance for their campground b/c I heard they book up). We mostly stayed at forest service or city campgrounds- not much a fan of the "RV Parks" as they tended to be mostly gravel parking lots with other RV crammed in. RV's are all over Alaska and you can pretty much take them anywhere. Camping fees ranged from $0 per night (Tangle Lakes on the Denali Highway) to $22 per night (Denali NP) with no hookups, although we did stay at one private campground that was a bit more (with full hookups).

We used Great Alaskan Holidays and would highly recommend them. The RV was super clean and they guarantee a current model year (so this year they have 2011 and 2012 RV's).

We stayed at Williwaw Campground in the Portage Valley twice (one the way down and the way back from exploring the Kenai peninsula- camping right under a glacier-very cool! If you end up staying there, ask the campground host about the hike to the waterfalls...

Good luck!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the info- I was researching the companies yesterday night and it seems that Great Alaskan Holidays have the best reviews.
Too bad that they dont have smaller RV for rentals now- the one they have for mid August is 25ft for 6 people...pricey for just 2 people, not including the gas...

Thanks again

Old 08-03-2011, 12:00 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,646,832 times
I would again suggest you visit the Trip Advisor forums. This sort of question has been answered many times there.
I'd also suggest ordering a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:53 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,378,003 times
State Parks along the highways in Alaska could be best choice for cheep overnight stops with RV's. And provide best camping areas in Alaska with hiking trails. Dalton Highway is worth the trip north of Fairbanks. Can camp RV Coldfoot, Alaska. It fallows the Alaska pipe line..

Old 08-03-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
I would again suggest you visit the Trip Advisor forums. This sort of question has been answered many times there.
I'd also suggest ordering a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner.
I did visit that forum, and found a lot of info about Alaska- but regarding RV's there were only complaints about one particular firm that its a scam and took the money from the people and went bancrupt, therefore I thought that people here can write some more info about different companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska