Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:32 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times

Advertisements

I used to be a avid biker when I lived in Los Angeles. I would easily put between 20,000 and 25,000 miles per year on my Yamaha V-MAX. However, the road conditions are vastly superior in southern California when compared to Alaska. Needless to say, I sold my bike before I moved.

There are too many risks in Alaska. All it takes is to lose control of the front tire and you are going down. I do not care how good you are, nobody can stay on a bike once the front tire goes out from under you. However, I have experienced a blow-out in my rear-tire while driving in excess of 100 mph, and one can maintain control after losing their rear tire. I managed to pull off the road safely after my flat. Had that flat been on the front tire, I would have been street pizza.

The witness said Munn started to fishtail. That indicates to me that he had control of the front tire and lost control of the back tire. When I had my blowout in my rear tire, I was fishtailing all over the place, but because I still had control of the front tire, I was able to pull over and stop safely.

As far as helmets are concerned, I only wore them when I knew I would be driving in excess of 90 mph or on those rare days in southern California when it rained. I found that at 90 mph and above, if I did not wear a helmet my eye-lids would flap in the wind, making it almost impossible to see. And rain hurts when you are driving 90+ mph without a helmet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 08:41 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,853,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
My first husband and his brother-in-law were killed years ago by an AWOL idiot who was being chased by the police. The idiot was in a car, they were on a motorcycle. A helmet would never have saved them; one had his leg amputated when the car hit, and they were both thrown 60 feet by the impact. 'Sometimes' a helmet helps and it's all in the luck of the draw, and sometimes it just doesn't matter.

Some accidents aren't survivable, helmet or not. But a surprising number of people are killed in relatively minor accidents because of hitting their heads on a curb, and those accidents would be survivable when a helmet is worn.

A good friend of mine always wore his helmet except on short trips. He was riding from a convenience store to his home, less than a mile trip, when he hit his head on a curb at only 20mph. Sad thing was that his helmet was strapped on his motorcycle when the accident happened.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:11 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,432,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Some accidents aren't survivable, helmet or not. But a surprising number of people are killed in relatively minor accidents because of hitting their heads on a curb, and those accidents would be survivable when a helmet is worn.

A good friend of mine always wore his helmet except on short trips. He was riding from a convenience store to his home, less than a mile trip, when he hit his head on a curb at only 20mph. Sad thing was that his helmet was strapped on his motorcycle when the accident happened.
That's what I meant by the luck of the draw..it depends..

From what I've seen of folks in any kinds of wrecks, paralyzed, etc. and those with TBI (traumatic brain injury), I'd rather die but that's just my opinion, and then there are those who walk away unscathed. Must be like my dad use to say 'when your times comes, you're going, no matter what.'

I haven't gotten on a motorcycle since they were killed long ago. I actually feel sick when I know my son is riding his.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post

Pure hogwash, nothing less.

Thankfully, Alaska does not have a mandatory helmet law, and it never will.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:23 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,628,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

Thankfully, Alaska does not have a mandatory helmet law, and it never will.
Neither does WI, but like you, we still need to buckle up for safety. And like you, this guy NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law - Yahoo! News didn't believe in them either.

Even kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
That's what I meant by the luck of the draw..it depends..

From what I've seen of folks in any kinds of wrecks, paralyzed, etc. and those with TBI (traumatic brain injury), I'd rather die but that's just my opinion, and then there are those who walk away unscathed. Must be like my dad use to say 'when your times comes, you're going, no matter what.'

I haven't gotten on a motorcycle since they were killed long ago. I actually feel sick when I know my son is riding his.
Your father was right. But at the same time you cannot allow fear to rule your life. Sometimes the risks are worth it.

I was able to avoid quite a few accidents on a motorcycle that would have been unavoidable in a sedan. I learned quickly that in order to survive in traffic on a motorcycle you have to drive like you are invisible, and every vehicle on the road is out to get you.

I felt the safest when I was on the freeways, because all the traffic was going in the same direction. I felt the least safe on city roads with all the cross traffic. Stopping to make a left-hand turn at an intersection was the most precarious moment. That is where most accidents happen, because the person in the car or truck "never saw" the biker.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:30 AM

There was an interesting study published in June regarding organ donations numbers and mandatory helmet laws.

In the study’s conclusion, its authors note that motorcyclist fatalities decline by 30 percent when mandatory helmet laws are enacted. Currently, only 3 states do not have motorcycle helmet laws, though many states require helmets only for those under the age of 18.

The study estimates imply that every death of a helmetless motorcyclist prevents or delays as many as 0.33 deaths among individuals on organ transplant waiting lists.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Neither does WI, but like you, we still need to buckle up for safety. And like you, this guy NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law - Yahoo! News didn't believe in them either.

LOL! Like me? First, despite rumors to the contrary, I am not dead. Second, I do believe in wearing helmets, as I have already previously posted.

I wore my helmet when I knew I would be traveling in excess of 90 mph, and I also wore my helmet when it rained. In the seven years I rode motorcycles in southern California I had four accidents, two while wearing a helmet, and two when I was not wearing a helmet. At no time did my helmet ever get as much as a scratch. I wish I could say the same for the rest of my body.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post

I saw that news story when it happened. Sad thing is that law enforcement said he likely would have survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,628,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
LOL! Like me? First, despite rumors to the contrary, I am not dead. Second, I do believe in wearing helmets, as I have already previously posted.

I wore my helmet when I knew I would be traveling in excess of 90 mph, and I also wore my helmet when it rained. In the seven years I rode motorcycles I had four accidents, two while wearing a helmet, and two when I was not wearing a helmet. At no time did my helmet ever get as much as a scratch. I wish I could say the same for the rest of my body.
Yeah, I know (think) you are alive and well. I'll not be positive of that until I see a few anti-American communists sprinkled in with your comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska