Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 04:40 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Stop overthinking things, Ship. It's just too hot to be in the water if the air temp is too high, unless you like to be hot, which I don't. It starts to feel stifling after about ten minutes when it's not cold enough out. Plus my Fairbanksian friends say it's really great to go roll around in the snow at thirty below and then jump back in the water.
Well, I didn't think I was overthinking it. It just never crossed my mind that the teens would be too warm to get in the water. Of course, I don't have any basis of comparison, having never been to a hot spring. I would like to go to Chena sometime in the deep winter and try and watch the Lights while sitting in the spring. I've heard it's one of the better places to go to see the Lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 11:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Is the winter considered the off season there?

We went in November last year but the air temp was in the teens and it was just too warm to be in the water. Sat up on a rock with my feet in the water most of the time and jumped in every once in a while. Hopefully we'll make it out there when it's colder this year.
No...winter is their biggest season. Aurora viewers come from all over the world then. They have half price specials in November and then again some time in the spring....April maybe. The rooms really aren't worth the full price....next time you get up there, check out Angel Creek which is about 7 miles away.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:20 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,290,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
No...winter is their biggest season. Aurora viewers come from all over the world then. They have half price specials in November and then again some time in the spring....April maybe. The rooms really aren't worth the full price....next time you get up there, check out Angel Creek which is about 7 miles away.
Ah, that's what had me confused, running specials in November, when I figured winter would be high season there. We usually stay with friends in Fairbanks but might check out a half price deal for a night.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Ah, that's what had me confused, running specials in November, when I figured winter would be high season there. We usually stay with friends in Fairbanks but might check out a half price deal for a night.
I think their high season begins around the middle of December and lasts until the end of March. They do a huge Japanese tour business during that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska