Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:36 PM

468 posts, read 799,421 times

Advertisements

Glitch- I was joking. I know what the bush is. My husband and two younger daughters are living an a bush village right now. If I could drive to them, I already would have done so. My oldest and I will be with them next school year after she has recovered from her surgery.

Also not terrified of bears and moose; respectful yes, terrified no. Though I haven't met any face to face so that could be the reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Is there anyone that can keep the dogs they are comfortable with for you for a few months, until the surgery and recuperation is done, then when favorable fly the dogs up when the family is back together? That would give you way more latitude in where and how you live...just a thought...
That is a good point. I guess I do have the option of taking the dogs to the village when we visit in September. It is a hard decision. I really like having them around for the security. Not that they are scary...both lab mixes so they would me more likely to lick someone to death, but they make me feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
No, Wasilla does not have the charming downtown like Palmer does. They've been trying to come up with something, but it just hasn't come together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akravenlady View Post
What you saw of Wasilla along the Parks is about it. It's kind of an "ugly" "town" but if I move back that is where I'll prolly go to as I've friends there. Palmer has a much nicer "town" area.
I had to laugh at myself. I shouldn't be so concerned about how cute downtown is when next year I will be living in the bush and definitely won't have downtown amenities then.lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 09:19 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
I definitely don't think I want to drive Turnagain Arm on a regular basis in winter. That would not be fun.

Does Wasilla have a more charming or "downtown" part? We really only saw what was on Parks Hwy as we came through and that was very big box shopping. Good to know about the air in Palmer. I will have to think about that since my youngest does have asthma...though I would put money that it is tied to her Celiac. Since she was diagnosed, the asthma seems to have cleared up.

The good thing about renting is that if I don't quite get it right, as least it isn't permanent!
Yes, Wasilla has a nice downtown. It is smaller than Palmer's downtown, but then again, Palmer also has a bigger population, but there is a Main Street with a City Hall, Court House, and all the other buildings you would expect to see in a small town downtown area. Those who never get off the Parks Highway never see that side of Wasilla.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:22 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongazid View Post
nope, but palmer has a nice downtown
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
No, Wasilla does not have the charming downtown like Palmer does. They've been trying to come up with something, but it just hasn't come together.
Quote:
What you saw of Wasilla along the Parks is about it. It's kind of an "ugly" "town" but if I move back that is where I'll prolly go to as I've friends there. Palmer has a much nicer "town" area.
ROFL! Obviously you are all completely clueless. Here is a hint: Get off the damn highway if you want to actually see the town.

You should not be giving people advice about things you clearly know nothing about.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:12 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
Why not send the dogs up to live with your husband?

Old 08-13-2011, 06:45 AM

437 posts, read 815,562 times
NO, not clueless. I lived in Wasilla for 2 years. I know exactly what it's like. It's downtown isn't like what I think the OP is thinking of towns like she is used to back in MN.

Seriously, here's a hint for you: if you would have read my original posts you would have seen that I lived in Wasilla. I know what its like. You should not be saying what I know or don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
ROFL! Obviously you are all completely clueless. Here is a hint: Get off the damn highway if you want to actually see the town.

You should not be giving people advice about things you clearly know nothing about.

Last edited by akravenlady; 08-13-2011 at 07:12 AM..

Old 08-13-2011, 07:23 AM

468 posts, read 799,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Why not send the dogs up to live with your husband?
I am thinking about it. I really like having them with me, since they make me feel safe...and less lonely. I looked into the cost of flying them in and out for each long school break, since my husband and the girls are coming to visit us. I think it is still less than boarding them during her surgery, plus extra pet deposits and higher rents.

After last night though, when the big one zoomed up the stairs, whining and shaking at 2:30 am and tried to get in bed because of a thunderstorm...I would send them just about anywhere today....

Old 08-13-2011, 07:51 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
Quote:
NO, not clueless. I lived in Wasilla for 2 years. I know exactly what it's like. It's downtown isn't like what I think the OP is thinking of towns like she is used to back in MN.

Seriously, here's a hint for you: if you would have read my original posts you would have seen that I lived in Wasilla. I know what its like. You should not be saying what I know or don't know.
I think what Glitch is referring to is the fact that Wasilla has changed alot since you lived here. Target, Walgreens, a new small mall, numerous restaurants, new apartments behind the post office, etc. I personally don't consider Palmer or Wasilla to even have a 'downtown.'

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 08-13-2011 at 08:01 AM..

Old 08-13-2011, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,277 times
Yah, missing someone you dearly love is very difficult situation especially if that someone is closest to your heart. On the other hand, I will choose Girdwood, that place is so wonderful and lots of beautiful spots to visit with.But the choice is still your's just choose the best one whom you love to stay with, thats all I can say. Good luck in choosing the best place!

Old 08-13-2011, 09:10 AM

437 posts, read 815,562 times
I've only been gone 3 years, and yeah, I've seen all that stuff, I've been back 4 times since 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I think what Glitch is referring to is the fact that Wasilla has changed alot since you lived here. Target, Walgreens, a new small mall, numerous restaurants, new apartments behind the post office, etc. I personally don't consider Palmer or Wasilla to even have a 'downtown.'

Old 08-13-2011, 09:27 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
Quote:
I've only been gone 3 years, and yeah, I've seen all that stuff, I've been back 4 times since 2008.
Well unless you've been back 'this' year you haven't seen quite all the changes. And a big difference in visiting opposed to 'living' here.

Why do people who have been away or are newbies think they know as good as the residents do ? Now that may set some off .. so be it. There are times when a 'know-it-all' attitude ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska