Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 06:58 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times

Advertisements

This guy got stuck across the river and had to be air-lifted. While I can understand other types of accidental rescue operations, in cases such as these people should pay a portion of the cost:
Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Alaska troopers rescue man from Into the Wild trek (http://newsminer.com/view/full_story/15148463/article-Alaska-troopers-rescue-man-from--Into-the-Wild--trek?instance=home_news_window_left_top_4 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 09:07 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,868,996 times
Cheese'n'rice, these people. Did they not watch to the end of the movie?

Old 08-20-2011, 09:35 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,577,968 times
I get so tired of these "Wanta be" McCandless... There have to rescue half a dozen idiots a year that have no clue to what they are doing or what they are walking into!

Just amazes me that there is such a defective gene pool out there that are clueless like he was.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:45 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,717,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I get so tired of these "Wanta be" McCandless... There have to rescue half a dozen idiots a year that have no clue to what they are doing or what they are walking into!

Just amazes me that there is such a defective gene pool out there that are clueless like he was.

I agree. My husband HATES that movie! He cannot fathom why anyone would want to make a movie about a complete idiot.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:57 AM

202 posts, read 505,323 times
The bus should be destroyed. Get rid of it and you might end the idiot trekking up there to see it.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:30 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,870,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmartian View Post
The bus should be destroyed. Get rid of it and you might end the idiot trekking up there to see it.
I agree! Pull it out of there or destroy the bus. It is foolish to leave it there when it provides a monument of sorts to the ghouls among us. Using rescue personel and putting them at risk to rescue people over such a foolish thing is crazy. Since there is no way from preventing people from trying to reach the bus ahead of time, loose the bus.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:40 AM

202 posts, read 505,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
I agree! Pull it out of there or destroy the bus. It is foolish to leave it there when it provides a monument of sorts to the ghouls among us. Using rescue personel and putting them at risk to rescue people over such a foolish thing is crazy. Since there is no way from preventing people from trying to reach the bus ahead of time, loose the bus.
No doubt it would cost a few bucks to get rid of it. But what's cheaper? Leaving it there and rescuing moron after moron? Or just paying to get it out of there and then putting the word out that it's gone.

Any other traces of the dingbat that died there should also be removed. Don't leave anything behind that would encourage people to visit that area. And make sure the newspapers, etc. are alerted and the idiot book authors, etc. so the hippies all know that the bus is gone and there is no point in going out there.

Edit: Also, leave at least 2000 pounds of soap there. That will scare the hippies as they don't like to bathe. Hippies run from soap.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:41 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
I disagree. The bus should remain exactly where it is for two reasons:
  • It provides gainful employment for Alaskan rescuers; and
  • Every moron that dies at that bus improves the human gene pool.
Consider the bus a moron magnet.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:43 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,745,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I disagree. The bus should remain exactly where it is for two reasons:
  • It provides gainful employment for Alaskan rescuers; and
  • Every moron that dies at the bus improves the human gene pool.
Consider the bus a moron magnet.
oh I am soooo glad I was not drinking my coffee when I read this!! ahhahaaa..... you beat me to saying it!

Old 08-21-2011, 10:52 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,577,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmartian View Post
A few years ago now, I talked with the Borough Mayor and they were talking about dragging it out to the highway so they didn't keep having idiots needing to be rescued. Guess it will take a few more dead people before it is feasible...

Actually, there were four people stranded on the bus side of the river, two from Spain and two from the Lessor 48. One from Spain managed to
Cross the river and not drown, he got help and the troopers or Air Guard flew the other three out, was on the news this morning.

They didn't even tell someone where they were going!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska