Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 08:08 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
That's the good thing about Alaska, you don't have to live isolated if you don't want to. Some like it, I don't. We have about 6 neighbors on our road but everybody has at least an acre of land. In summers you can't see other houses for the trees. In winter we can get a glimpse of 1 or 2 houses. It's nice cause the houses are far apart. The isolation I feel is because of so many miles between me and my family.

I do like Maine and the other New England states.

You were asking about moose awhile back....this guy was on our road a few winters ago--One of the things I love..get a kick out of them when they bed down in our yard or just meander through eating branches, although our dogs don't appreciate it.
Cool! Thanks for the photo, AlaskaPat!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 08:30 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Then what would you call Atlanta,GA?
a fur-ren country!!!! not sure they even speak American!!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:32 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
One level of Hell. The deepest pit of Hell seems to be in Texas...
Hey, the devil has office space here....

Old 08-27-2011, 08:52 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,095,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
One level of Hell. The deepest pit of Hell seems to be in Texas...
Nope. It's L.A.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:19 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,165 times
I wouldn't mind being south somewhere during December through April, the worst of our winter here. I just can't get all excited about shoveling and plowing snow every other day, dealing with constant howling wind, and falling on my butt from the ice everywhere.
Then there is the driving to work in pitch black dark, putting in your 8hrs, then driving back home in pitch black dark...get's old real fast.
Alaska is a GREAT place to be....in the summer. And it will seem even better after spending the winter elsewhere...

Bud

Old 08-27-2011, 09:27 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
It is the huge number of people here. (not sure if I am agreeing with Ray or not) ?

Traffic, competition for parking spaces for services wears on people and makes them just c r a z e d ! On the freeways it is routine for other drivers to ride my bumper. It is common for people to be angry while driving and for NO good reason. In addition, people here feel themselves entitled to do things which most of us would consider rude. When I am driving here I am routinely dealing with angry drivers. A routine trip to a doctor becomes a nightmare of parking. Like I have told my family I am here for them, and I do have a good condo in a very quiet area...with a garage.

When I go out, it's like a battle. At least in Alaska I knew that we were all in it together...Here not so much.
We do get a few cases of road rage in Alaska. A few months ago somebody was stabbed and killed after such an episode. But is true that in more crowded places drivers experience a high number of close calls (I know. I lived in the Big Apple years ago, and also in Sacramento back in the early '80s). Still, if you live in a very comfortable and small place (town) in the lower-48, people are just as close as in the smallest towns in Alaska.

That said, Alaska has changed for the worst in recent years, so now we have some of the same gang activities, and drug users that are common in large cities. A difference is that since most Alaskans are armed, it makes it a little more difficult for criminal to intimidate people.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Maine, NH, Vermont, and upstate NY (the Adirondacks area), plus where Nep' just moved are splendid places to live. And you don't have to drive 8 billion miles to go from one town to the next, or deal with months of darkness.

Alaska is a nice place to visit in the summer, but for me, that's it. I spent 9 days in Anchorage about a decade ago. Beautiful scenery, but was glad to go back home.
You are right about that. I lived in Plattsburgh, NY for a few years when in the military (two tours). There are a large number of very small and beautiful places to live at all around Plattsburgh. Some of these North toward the Canadian border, around Burlington, or South on Route 9 all the way to Lake Placid. A whole bunch of places by Saranac Lake and such, Peru, etc. Once you make it to Albany is when things change for the worst if you don't like the crowds.

Then there are a lot of very small towns on the West Coast, from Northern WA out to Main. The same can be the same about just any State in the union. For example, CO, AZ, WY, and so forth. If you like just cool wether, then look for any town in or near mountains, or just move North to a small town in ND, Main, Michigan, and so forth.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:39 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I wouldn't mind being south somewhere during December through April, the worst of our winter here. I just can't get all excited about shoveling and plowing snow every other day, dealing with constant howling wind, and falling on my butt from the ice everywhere.
Then there is the driving to work in pitch black dark, putting in your 8hrs, then driving back home in pitch black dark...get's old real fast.
Alaska is a GREAT place to be....in the summer. And it will seem even better after spending the winter elsewhere...

Bud
I agree; would love to be a snowbird but husband's job won't go for it Maybe someday. Winter and the darkness does get old. Husband prefers winters minus the shoveling snow...I like the summers and all the light.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I agree; would love to be a snowbird but husband's job won't go for it Maybe someday. Winter and the darkness does get old.
Or walking back and forth between the firewood outside and the stove in the middle of the winter?

Old 08-28-2011, 12:05 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,783,434 times
Move to a village! Walk to work, no shoveling! Life is simple and very enjoyable - no traffic or crowds ! Life is too short! Pray long ! I love it;

That is the smartest most profoud truth ever displayed on this web site!
WoWoW!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska