Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:18 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,043 times

Advertisements

stewnsue -- good thing you're coming in winter, you'll have 6 months of hat wearing to let your hair grow back in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 10:25 PM

157 posts, read 240,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
they found some of the spare magazine's for my husband's Robinson rifle... and kept demanding to know where the AK assault rifle was...
Yeah - I know I confused them just because I was bringing extra barrels, some shot, but no guns. The guns had been previoulsy flown up, but at least they didnt' search our trailer. Just extra time and a little hassle that I didn't need or want. But it all ended without difficulty.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 08-31-2011 at 10:51 PM..

Old 08-31-2011, 10:32 PM

157 posts, read 240,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewnsue View Post
Thanks Warpt! What do you think about a 7 day timeline to get from TN to Soldotna, AK? That's roughly 600 miles/day or 10 hr/day driving. Doable or do I need to add another day or two?
just my $.02, but when I drove from WI to Anchorage it took me 10 full days. Of course, we were camping and had to take into consideration the set-up/break-down of the campsite everynight. But I wish I had had more time to take the trip because there were so many places that I wanted to stop and take pictures. I crossed the border at Sweetgrass, and did make a detour to the Canadian Badlands to spend some time at a museum before we headed up to Edmonton. And we got lost in Edmonton, so probably could have gotten out of there a little sooner....

My point is - enjoy the trip and don't pressure yourselves with to tight of a time limit. It truly is a fabulous trip. Good luck and enjoy!

Old 08-31-2011, 10:56 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthorn31 View Post
Yeah - I know I confused them just because I was bringing extra barrels, some shot, but no guns. The guns had been previously flown up, but at least they didn't search our trailer. Just extra time and a little hassle that I didn't need or want. But it all ended without difficulty.
Yeah, they wanted to search our UHaul and I was more than happy to let them try. Of course, when I rolled up the door and they realized it would take a degree in quantum physics to unpack everything they just shrugged and gave up. I guess my willingness to unlock it and let them in was proof enough that I wasn't hiding anything

That's the tricky snag for them... we can't unload stuff for them in case we hide something during the search. It's bad enough that you have to repack it after they unload; but I can pack it so tight that they don't even want to unload it in the first place

Old 08-31-2011, 10:56 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,286,171 times
We drove from Tampa to Valdez in 7 days last summer with two drivers, and we still had some down time. Spent an afternoon in Banff, went to the Liard hot springs, went 4-wheeling in the Carcross desert south of Whitehorse, and even had a half-day delay due to mechanical trouble. It would be nice to take more time, but 7 days from Tennessee should be fine.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:34 AM

200 posts, read 287,293 times
Thanks so much everyone for the replies and advice! I can't tell you how helpful it is to get advice from folks who have "been there and done that". I guess I would be completely bald by the time I moved if I didn't have you guys to bounce questions and ideas off of! Liard Springs sounds heavenly! Definitely will need to make time for a little sight-seeing during the drive up. I plan on taking lots of pictures and will try to post some on C-D. That is, once I figure out HOW to post a photo!

Old 09-06-2011, 02:14 PM

200 posts, read 287,293 times
Soooo, if all the details get worked out this week, it looks like our departure date may be moved up to Oct. 1st!!! That will put us getting to the Kenai Peninsula on the 7th or 8th. I am so excited, and nervous, and scared, but mostly excited! Yippee!!!

Old 09-06-2011, 04:20 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,731,870 times
Quote:
Soooo, if all the details get worked out this week, it looks like our departure date may be moved up to Oct. 1st!!! That will put us getting to the Kenai Peninsula on the 7th or 8th. I am so excited, and nervous, and scared, but mostly excited! Yippee!!!
when you get down to Homer....call Freezengirl! you guys have got to meet each other~!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:42 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
Default So great! :)

Quote:
Oh I wish you the best trip... I wish I were coming too but only 10 months for me...

I can't wait to see the pictures and I want details now LOL

I am taking notes

Old 09-06-2011, 09:44 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
when you get down to Homer....call Freezengirl! you guys have got to meet each other~!
I can't wait to meet her too Blue... all of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska