Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:50 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times

Advertisements

Congrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 10:38 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewnsue View Post
It's official! I accepted position yesterday with a start date of Oct. 24th!!! No turning back now We may even be able to leave before the end of the month if we can get everything sold. Woohoo!!
Congratulations! What part of AK again will you be moving to?

Old 09-09-2011, 03:10 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
Quote:
It's official! I accepted position yesterday with a start date of Oct. 24th!!! No turning back now We may even be able to leave before the end of the month if we can get everything sold. Woohoo!!
yahooooie!!! CONGRAT'S! yayyyy....damn your making it there to live full time before us!~

Old 09-09-2011, 07:15 PM

200 posts, read 287,496 times
Thanks Warpt, Alaskapat and Blue! Blue, hurry up and sell that dang house so you can get up here full time too!

Alaskapat528, we will be moving to the Kenai Peninsula. Can't wait!!!

Old 09-10-2011, 12:03 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,047 times
Sorry, I didn't read the entire thread so this might be covered already - re: gas/fuel:

I have driven the highway over 25 times in summer and winter. It's totally do-able in winter but when I drove up in June this year I was stunned at how many gas stations were boarded up and closed. Some of them were places I counted on year after year. You might not need to carry extra gas, but it won't hurt and after what I just saw on the road, I'd carry gas in the winter. And I'd never let the gauge get below 1/2.

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2011, 01:12 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
There are plenty of year round lodges that are open so you don't have to carry gas.

Alaska Highway Travel, Road Log and Highway Maps

The Alaska Highway in The Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut at Frommer's

Old 09-10-2011, 05:37 AM

216 posts, read 364,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post

So true but I think alot of people who never have driven it need that peace of mind that they have it. Just in case kinda thing. IMO Take a couple of gals if it makes you feel better.

Congrats, hope you enjoy the Kenai, it's a great place.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:01 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,229 times
Default So happy for you :)

Quote:
Congrats... for SURE!!

Can't wait until I can post the same thing... Good luck on the sale.. sounds like you have things organized... next June I am hoping to be driving the trail to Alaska... we need to start a "new comers" club I say... Alaska or Bust!!

Old 09-11-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
Congrats... for SURE!!

Can't wait until I can post the same thing... Good luck on the sale.. sounds like you have things organized... next June I am hoping to be driving the trail to Alaska... we need to start a "new comers" club I say... Alaska or Bust!!
What an awesome idea naturesdreams! The "new comers" can meet up with the
C-D Alaskan forum regulars and buy them a round for all the help they have provided! Love this

On a side note, I know it is just "stuff", but man, it has been harder than I anticipated getting rid of 26 years worth of items that we worked hard to acquire. But, we did it once and can do it again.....just maybe not SO MUCH stuff the next go round!!

Old 09-12-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakester View Post
So true but I think alot of people who never have driven it need that peace of mind that they have it. Just in case kinda thing. IMO Take a couple of gals if it makes you feel better.

Congrats, hope you enjoy the Kenai, it's a great place.
Thanks Lakester! We are very much looking forward to our new adventure and to the drive up. We are hoping to be all settled in by mid October. We have found an awesome place to rent until we decide in which area we would like to purchase a home. It's all coming together, slowly but surely New carpet went in today, house goes on the market tomorrow, last day at current job on the 23rd, then packing and packing and then we need to do some packing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska