Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:44 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakester View Post
So true but I think alot of people who never have driven it need that peace of mind that they have it. Just in case kinda thing. IMO Take a couple of gals if it makes you feel better.

Congrats, hope you enjoy the Kenai, it's a great place.
Well, I've driven it a few times and that's exactly why I do carry an extra 5 gal... I ran into 1 station where I had a scheduled stop that wasn't open even though it was supposed to be, and 1 station whose gas pump wasn't working (either the pump was busted or their tank was empty). I might have had enough in the tank to make it to the next station, but the extra 5 gal made sure of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 04:45 AM

115 posts, read 165,769 times
Glad you got the job, congrats! I am out of Africa in 2 weeks! Then it will take me about a month to demobilize, pack up and drive... SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to meet you all - thanks for the help!

Stewnsue... drive safe! I will probably bring some extra gas, just because I am not sure what kind of mileage I will get with the moving tuck.... better safe than sorry....

Old 09-18-2011, 01:00 AM

157 posts, read 240,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewnsue View Post

On a side note, I know it is just "stuff", but man, it has been harder than I anticipated getting rid of 26 years worth of items that we worked hard to acquire.

I firmly believe that I need to move about every 10 years to prevent the accumulation of stuff. good luck with the move

Old 09-18-2011, 01:16 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthorn31 View Post
I firmly believe that I need to move about every 10 years to prevent the accumulation of stuff.
I just end up dragging the stuff with me. I still have unopened boxes from my last move. Guess whatever is in them can't be that important. I'm probably a good candidate for an episode of that "Hoarders" show.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:54 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Quote:
I firmly believe that I need to move about every 10 years to prevent the accumulation of stuff. good luck with the move
30 Years in one town has sure led to an accumulation of stuff... I am just at 12 years in the current house, so you may be on to something there.

I think you need to change that to moving across long distances every 10 years or sooner!

As a real estate agent told me eons ago, if you haven't opened up a box in three years just toss it.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:27 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Quote:
Growing up military and then moving every 6-12 months as a younger adult, everything I owned used to fit into a pickup. Once I settled down for a few years, I actually got anxiety attacks when we started getting too much stuff (I blame DH, since he's much more of a pack rat). When we downsized to move up here, we managed to get it pared down to a small UHaul and a pickup, but they were packed. It was mostly tools for the cabin, long term storage food with a couple pieces of furniture; but I sure hope we don't start accumulating random stuff again

Old 09-19-2011, 11:06 AM

34 posts, read 48,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
... next June I am hoping to be driving the trail to Alaska... we need to start a "new comers" club I say... Alaska or Bust!!
My husband and I, when we first moved to Alaska right after we were married, crammed everything we could fit into our two 4-door cars (including the cat) and posted "Alaska or Bust" signs in the back windows! When we arrived in Homer, Alaska a car full of girls greeted us with smiles and waves...it was great! Too bad for me I was so sad to leave family I couldn't enjoy it...this next time we do it I will be excited for sure.
But our cars were packed...so much so that I couldn't see out my passenger side window. We had two-way radios, so hubby would tell me whether I was clear to get over a lane or not. I had never driven on ice or snow (we went up in March), so hubby coached me along the way---"Watch out, there's a slippery patch here, let off the gas" or "just feather the brakes", etc. But the weather was great, no storms, mostly sunny and cold. Can't wait to do it again..this time will be in the summer, that will be beautiful! But I'll miss all the snow-capped mountains though!

Old 09-19-2011, 12:36 PM

200 posts, read 287,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearlessfemme View Post
Glad you got the job, congrats! I am out of Africa in 2 weeks! Then it will take me about a month to demobilize, pack up and drive... SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to meet you all - thanks for the help!

Stewnsue... drive safe! I will probably bring some extra gas, just because I am not sure what kind of mileage I will get with the moving tuck.... better safe than sorry....
Awesome news Fearlessfemme! Wishing you safe travels from Africa.

Whew, y'all, just finished up with the MOTHER of all yard sales! It was a huge success, but I am wiped out. I keep telling myself to look at it as now we will have less stuff to pack! We are planning on heading out this coming Sunday. Lord willing and the creek don't rise, we ought to be in Soldotna in 7-8 days after we leave. Everybody has extra gas cans, so no worries there. All vehicles have been checked over with a fine toothed comb and we have purchased extra trailer tires for the cargo trailer. Gonna pick up some tire chains in Montana, just in case we run into snow in the mountains. Shockingly, we were unable to find any chains down here in TN Ha, ha! Can't wait to head out this weekend!

Old 09-19-2011, 12:38 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewnsue View Post
Awesome news Fearlessfemme! Wishing you safe travels from Africa.

Whew, y'all, just finished up with the MOTHER of all yard sales! It was a huge success, but I am wiped out. I keep telling myself to look at it as now we will have less stuff to pack! We are planning on heading out this coming Sunday. Lord willing and the creek don't rise, we ought to be in Soldotna in 7-8 days after we leave. Everybody has extra gas cans, so no worries there. All vehicles have been checked over with a fine toothed comb and we have purchased extra trailer tires for the cargo trailer. Gonna pick up some tire chains in Montana, just in case we run into snow in the mountains. Shockingly, we were unable to find any chains down here in TN Ha, ha! Can't wait to head out this weekend!
wahhhooo....isn't it fun purging all that stuff??!! Safe travels and stay in touch!

Old 09-19-2011, 01:07 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
Jealous as can be here. Congratulations on your move, and hopefully I'll be following you up there in a couple years!

By the way, best place to get tire chains is the internet, if you got time for them to get there. Better selection and cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska