Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:07 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times

Advertisements

It takes courage to drive up here with a child and dogs and you did it. I also don't like flying but I think of my loved ones I'm going to see and grit my teeth. You can do this!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 01:32 PM

200 posts, read 287,455 times
Lunabell, you got this! Slow deep breaths, some distraction, some conversation with your daughter and you will be there before you know it. Sounds like we all have faith in you and are excited for you Prayers going up for your safe journey!!

Old 09-08-2011, 05:07 PM

468 posts, read 799,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
You do know I hope that all of us are thinking of your reunion with your children and smiling with joy for all of you. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
It takes courage to drive up here with a child and dogs and you did it. I also don't like flying but I think of my loved ones I'm going to see and grit my teeth. You can do this!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewnsue View Post
Lunabell, you got this! Slow deep breaths, some distraction, some conversation with your daughter and you will be there before you know it. Sounds like we all have faith in you and are excited for you Prayers going up for your safe journey!!
Thanks you guys! You really know how to bolster a girl's courage. The dogs flew off this morning. I had sedatives for one of the dogs, but all I had was peanut butter to hide the pills. Who knew there was a dog that doesn't like peanut butter? I hope she is OK...she is rather high strung and freaks at being contained. Little jealous though that they get to see my husband and kids before I do.

I stopped by the airport after dropping off the dogs and asked a TSA guy some questions about liquid medications. My daughter is on liquid Trileptal and it comes in a glass bottle. Obviously, I don't want to have to check that.

I am planning on being there waaaaaay early (like 6:15am). Security is going to take awhile with us. My daughter cannot walk without her shoes and AFO's, plus her meds and stroller. I don't think we are able to conform to any of their standard procedures. I hope the hassle helps take my mind off things!

I would chat with my daughter, but she has very few meaningful words. I usually have a single sided conversation with her all day long. But I do think it has helped her understand far more than she is able to express. I think she is going to hear a lot of babbling from me tomorrow. Thank goodness she goes with the flow and is rather unflappable.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:14 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
Thanks you guys! You really know how to bolster a girl's courage. The dogs flew off this morning. I had sedatives for one of the dogs, but all I had was peanut butter to hide the pills. Who knew there was a dog that doesn't like peanut butter? I hope she is OK...she is rather high strung and freaks at being contained. Little jealous though that they get to see my husband and kids before I do.

I stopped by the airport after dropping off the dogs and asked a TSA guy some questions about liquid medications. My daughter is on liquid Trileptal and it comes in a glass bottle. Obviously, I don't want to have to check that.

I am planning on being there waaaaaay early (like 6:15am). Security is going to take awhile with us. My daughter cannot walk without her shoes and AFO's, plus her meds and stroller. I don't think we are able to conform to any of their standard procedures. I hope the hassle helps take my mind off things!

I would chat with my daughter, but she has very few meaningful words. I usually have a single sided conversation with her all day long. But I do think it has helped her understand far more than she is able to express. I think she is going to hear a lot of babbling from me tomorrow. Thank goodness she goes with the flow and is rather unflappable.
hang in there lady! you will do fine and so will your daughter....deeeep deeep breaths...they should let Trileptal go thru ....they let insulin, B12 liq, and such go thru....ask to see a Supervisor an you should have no problem. Blessings to you and your daughter on this monumental trip! the trips ending hugs will be well worth all of it and just keep that vision in mind~!

Old 09-08-2011, 05:18 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post

How long is the flight? Well look at it this way....it is the last step of a long trip. You will do fine.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:43 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,629,182 times
For me, it's all about losing control, whether it's flying or driving. I truly do all I can to make sure that happens as seldom as possible.

I believe many are like that. It isn't the flying, its the handing of your life over to someone else that's a bit unnerving. Well, maybe more than a bit.

I always eat a large healthy meal prior to a flight. It seems to relax me and helps me snooze off just a tad during the flight. Stay away from coffee and sugary things before your taking off. For obvious reasons.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
hang in there lady! you will do fine and so will your daughter....deeeep deeep breaths...they should let Trileptal go thru ....they let insulin, B12 liq, and such go thru....ask to see a Supervisor an you should have no problem. Blessings to you and your daughter on this monumental trip! the trips ending hugs will be well worth all of it and just keep that vision in mind~!
Thank you! I cannot wait until 1:45 tomorrow when I get to see my husband first and then my kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
How long is the flight? Well look at it this way....it is the last step of a long trip. You will do fine.
The first flight is almost 3 hours. The second flight is about an hour. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
For me, it's all about losing control, whether it's flying or driving. I truly do all I can to make sure that happens as seldom as possible.

I believe many are like that. It isn't the flying, its the handing of your life over to someone else that's a bit unnerving. Well, maybe more than a bit.

I always eat a large healthy meal prior to a flight. It seems to relax me and helps me snooze off just a tad during the flight. Stay away from coffee and sugary things before your taking off. For obvious reasons.
You hit the nail on the head. I think I am something of a control freak. I don't care about controlling anyone else's life, but I like to be firmly in control of my own. I will have to watch it with the caffeine that early in the morning. Need it to wake up, but not too much that I get more anxious.

Thanks again everyone! I am shutting the computer down and packing my last bits. I am hoping that my aircard works at the village since AT&T works, but if not it could be a bit before we get DSL up and running. Thanks!

Old 09-08-2011, 11:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
A little touch of the firewater before flying doesn't necessarily equate to being "wasted".

You'll be fine, though. My season usually ends with a wild bush plane ride off the island where the pilot looks to be about twelve. I just think about what's waiting for me at the other end.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:00 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,287,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post

I once heard someone ask my uncle, then a Delta pilot, how it felt to be responsible for all those people on board. He said his main concern was getting himself home safely. I'm not really very nervous about flying, but that made me even less so.

And also, you're frequently dependent on other people (or nature) for your safety, even when you think you're in control. Another driver does something stupid and you're dead or maimed before you even have time to react. Doesn't matter whether you were driving or not, you aren't always in control of the situation. Life is probably less stressful if you can accept that as a normal part of life, but it's easier said than done.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
A little touch of the firewater before flying doesn't necessarily equate to being "wasted".
I know it doesn't mean being wasted, though a few glasses of wine might put me in that category. If things get too bad, I will get a glass of red. I swear that stuff is like legally getting stoned for me. I just sit back and relax, without a care in the world.

I was putting the computer away and then realized I never finished downloading a couple of cartoons for my daughter. Stinking itunes takes forever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska