Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:52 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,074,733 times

Advertisements

Well this is it. Flight leaves tomorrow late afternoon, and I arrive in Juneau early Saturday morning.

Had originally planned on staying at an extended stay hotel, but someone from work (who I have not met, but who sounds like a very nice lady on the phone) has offered to rent out a room in her condo. It's out of town (which is great), and we'll be car-pooling in the short term. She's leaving for a new job soon (not sure of the time frame) so may be interested in subletting. Who knows - it may work into a permanent place. Guess I'll take it one step at a time and see how it all works out.

Significant other is still staying back in TN until March. Said goodbye to Son #1 in Nashville this morning. Thought I had said my goodbyes already when we saw each other this past weekend but we decided to get together at the Cracker Barrel one more time. Ongoing goodbyes are very tough and counterproductive I think. Son #2 called from Iraq last night to tell me safe travels. I wished him the same. And keep your head down. And don't volunteer for anything. Goodbyes just suck all the way around.......

Feeling like a lost puppy right now. Moving from the familiar to the unfamiliar. Son #2 will come visit I'm sure when he gets back to the States. Son #1 says a visit in the summer, which I hope he does.

Still packing and organizing. Not enough room for all my crap.

Last edited by juneaubound; 01-07-2010 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 03:33 PM

8 posts, read 14,988 times
Good luck. Stay warm. Have FUN!

Old 01-07-2010, 03:50 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,443,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Well this is it. Flight leaves tomorrow late afternoon, and I arrive in Juneau early Saturday morning.

Had originally planned on staying at an extended stay hotel, but someone from work (who I have not met, but who sounds like a very nice lady on the phone) has offered to rent out a room in her condo. It's out of town (which is great), and we'll be car-pooling in the short term. She's leaving for a new job in Anchorage (not sure of the time frame) so may be interested in subletting. Who knows - it may work into a permanent place. Guess I'll take it one step at a time and see how it all works out.

Significant other is still staying back in TN until March. Said goodbye to Son #1 in Nashville this morning. Thought I had said my goodbyes already when we saw each other this past weekend but we decided to get together at the Cracker Barrel one more time. Ongoing goodbyes are very tough and counterproductive I think. Son #2 called from Iraq last night to tell me safe travels. I wished him the same. And keep your head down. And don't volunteer for anything. Goodbyes just suck all the way around.......

Feeling like a lost puppy right now. Moving from the familiar to the unfamiliar. Son #2 will come visit I'm sure when he gets back to the States. Son #1 says a visit in the summer, which I hope he does.

Still packing and organizing. Not enough room for all my crap.

Yes, I hate "good-byes." Always end up trying to fight tears. Glad to hear you have a good place to stay; seems things are falling into place for you. The good-byes and the packing/organizing are the tough parts. Once you get there and get on the job you'll do fine and then when the SO comes up in March it will be even better for you. Hang in there...Good luck.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:21 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,620,450 times
When you get there, head to Bullwinkle's for some of the best pizza in the world.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:42 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,074,733 times
Stay warm, have fun, hang in there, and pizza at Bullwinkles - all of that sounds like sound advice to me. Thanks folks.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:57 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,946,565 times
God speed! As you get off the plane remember to take several minutes to look around in awe

Old 01-07-2010, 05:15 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,551,467 times
Be prepared for ice. We had snow on the ground and it's raining now and expected to rain through Tuesday. The main roads are generally clear, but most of the side streets are a sheet of ice. If you have them, pack you boots for some of the puddles and get some ice grippers for the icy areas. If you don't have boots, you can get a pair of Xtratufs or check out Bogs boots (my wife loves hers - Classic Mid Black). The ice grippers are something that fit over your shoes or boots:

Amazon.com: Spiky Plus 104 Ice Gripper: Sports & Outdoors

or something similar. You can get all locally if they're not available where you currently are.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:33 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,806,440 times
To double what akck said, yes it is RAINING now, which is not good news. It's gonna freeze up, and with snow coming we will probably have an avalanche or two just like last year.

you can get ***-traks at wally world or foggy mountain downtown. 25 bucks.
The "spike" versions are good but are only "road friendly", will wreck a floor.
If you're working downtown hit up Heritage Coffee, best coffee in town, very reasonable prices also.
Don 't know where it is, just bump into someone and ask.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:44 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,806,440 times
oh, BTW, for Xtra-Tuffs, stop by Western Auto & Marine on Vanderbuilt.
They always have the largest selection and fair prices. Last pair I bought last fall was $75. Wally world and Freddy's try to carry them, but never have a large selection in sizes.
Buy your normal size, get the felt sole liners ($5). I always just get the normal ones and wear wool socks, the insulated ones cost more, are heavy, and to me are not worth the extra cost.

Welcome to JNU...whether or not it is "paradise" is up to you........

Old 01-07-2010, 05:51 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,551,467 times
If you end up wanting Bogs, Shoefly/Hudson's Shoes has them. They are located downtown across from McDonalds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska