Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:11 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times

Advertisements

Well if you are interested, they may have use of your ablilities at Chena Hot Springs. They have a lot of tourist and there is a lot of Nature related stuff they deal with there and they have room and board and you can soak in the hot springs on your time off. Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to at least call them. You might be supprised.

HOME - CHENA HOT SPRINGS RESORT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 10:12 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,713,692 times
I did not realize you were married either. It's hard to say. I could not be away from my hubby for long so I would either go to him or bring him here. Good Luck!

If you stay, what adventures you will have!!!

Old 09-12-2011, 06:01 AM

437 posts, read 815,298 times
I understand your plight. I was hired over the phone for a job in Wasilla. I was moving up anyway so it worked out great that I was working 3 weeks after my arrival in 2001. However, the job, as much as I liked it ( I was a buyer/purhcasing agent) had a boss that came along with the position that was a sexist jerk. I dreaded going to work every day and stuck it out for 3 months. Like you I was coming home upset and crying until finally one day I'd had enough and I just walked out. Never looked back and never felt so good about a decision I made.

Wishing you good luck in your future with whatever you decide.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:07 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akravenlady View Post
I understand your plight. I was hired over the phone for a job in Wasilla. I was moving up anyway so it worked out great that I was working 3 weeks after my arrival in 2001. However, the job, as much as I liked it ( I was a buyer/purhcasing agent) had a boss that came along with the position that was a sexist jerk. I dreaded going to work every day and stuck it out for 3 months. Like you I was coming home upset and crying until finally one day I'd had enough and I just walked out. Never looked back and never felt so good about a decision I made.

I know that feeling only tooooo well & quite often. I refuse to put up with stuff like that @ work and I will walk off a job in a heart beat and have done it too many times to count. "Get My ' ing Money !"
My all time record is 3 jobs.. In one day.

Walked off two of them in one day.. Being a union member, made it easy to me to say .. "shove it" !!

I have had too many bad experiences with employers and people to ever list. But I do know where you are coming from . And only because I have been there (so many different times) I can say from experience ...Ya gotta have 'faith' to climb out on that limb... I don't regret any decision I've ever made.. but I learned very early in life.. My children.. will never have to go through this kind of bull - just to go to work ?? that 'dread' every morning... There's gotta be a better way... There is!

5 t's ( and I mean this with all sincerity) FIVE T's.

Take The Time To Think - You are now in the greatest place in the whole world.... The biggest mistake you can ever make is to leave... now take the time to think.

What can you do ... ... ... "That is different ??

A very wise person once said... My people can have.. ANYTHING they want! But instead... they keep SAYING what they have.

Believe it or not: (this comes with repeated practice) you can change your circumstances.. by changing the manner in which you speak.

Say what you want.. and act upon it !!!

Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
Newt... I do believe you will be happier if you stay and work it out... I would do absolutely anything to be in your shoes.. really problems and all... sounds like you met the right people at the right time and your guardian angels certainly are making sure you stay safe.

Take starlite up on calling that hot springs job... I would if I were there... GEEZ... soon very soon for me... been working on putting my home up for sale... and I will be there for sure.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:08 AM

413 posts, read 937,778 times
I've got a mantra I've used for a long time, "It could be worse!" I mean, I could be stuck in Alabama still. That place was a hell-hole. No offense to any Alabamanians here, I just had an extra terrible time in your state.

Hubby called and woke me up this morning. He's staying with his parents, and evidently that's going south very quickly. I knew it would; his relationship with his dad is akin to that between slave and master, and his step-mom is somehow oblivious to his dad's obvious alcoholism and treats hubby like he's 10.

So hopefully I can call my parents and see if he can stay there. I'm sure they'll let him, as dad can probably use the help around the farm whether he knows it or not. After all, it's firewood splitting season, and dad's not as young as he thinks he is.

Plus, hubby works with dad (dad owns his own contracting/construction/masonry repair business) when dad has jobs to do. Dad has a couple big jobs coming up and has said he is going to put hubby to work, at least a couple hundred bucks worth.

We'll see how everything pans out today. I need to call AmeriCorps evidently, as they don't seem to respond to emails. Of course, they're going to say "we can't do anything without the state dude" and he's out of town until the 19th. He's never in town. Not very helpful...

So my plan is to wait and see how it all works out.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:30 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
I think things will work out and that this has all happened for a good reason. It took all you had to get there, I would say give it a chance. You do not seem to have any real obvious "slices of heavan" anywhere else. Some of us that want to give AK a shot are too tied down where we are to make the move.

Your plan before AmeriCorps went south was for him to move up to AK to be with you, the ONLY thing that so far has changed is your JOB. It sounds like whatever JOB you get has to pay more than AmeriCorps --

IF it was me, I would give AK a chance... And I admire you for sticking ot oyur principles, it takes a lot of "guts" to move somewhere completely new and quit the job that got you there shortly after arriving. I think you have the stereo-typical Alaskan personality - at least from what I have read on this board. (I think that is good thing, so to all the Alaskans here, don't take offense)

Old 09-12-2011, 05:33 PM

413 posts, read 937,778 times
So funny story... I got an email today asking me why I wasn't on my flight Friday. If you're wondering "what flight?", then we're in the same boat!

AmeriCorps booked me a ticket before I could have possibly been ready to leave (I have a lot of things to ship back) and then never bothered to tell me they booked me a ticket, and are now giving me grief about it.

I met with the guy at UAF and it wasn't as productive as I'd hoped. And now given the flak I'm getting from HemmrhoidCorps, I think it's best I get my ass back on a plane for home before they leave me stranded here for good (not that it would be such a bad thing).

But never fear! Now that I've drank the water, I'm surely infected with this strange longing to poop while perched on blue foam and eat the driving forces of Santa's sleigh. It's been a hell of a ride, Fairbanks, but you didn't beat me.

I will be back, and next time it will be for certain.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:42 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
oh damn I was sure hope'n things would work out and you would stay. ummm had enough of AmeriCorp yet?? doesn't sound like they have their chit together!

Old 09-12-2011, 06:06 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akravenlady View Post

Weren't you coming up here for an art show this month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska