Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:14 AM

468 posts, read 800,053 times

Advertisements

I am buying tickets this week. Luckily, we aren't going in and out of ANC this year. Next year we will. I just found out that the best prices to Hawaii are from here in AK. I talked to my parents and we are all going to start saving for Christmas in Hawaii next year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 12:01 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,870,511 times
That certainly sounds like an exciting trip and a good break from an artic winter! I am still trying to decide if I want to go any where for Christmas. My husband is fussing at me to take a trip since he will be gone for Christmas again this year. It is awfully tempting, especially since I have a new 8 lb 9 oz great-nephew born a few days ago. I can't make up my mind though. The flying to visit the lower 48 family get's complicated when the family is scattered everywhere. If I fly to California then my brother's feelings will be hurt (in Virginia) because I haven't met his youngest yet. My sister in Arizona will be terribly hurt if I don't go to see her, since I am long over due and have never been to her new home. Sigh. If I go to CA, I can meet baby Charlie and be with two of my sisters and their families. It just seems to complicated and really I enjoy being in Homer doing my own thing.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:39 PM

10 posts, read 18,473 times
My wife and I will be in Alaska the week between Christmas and New Years. We are spending most of that time in Anchorage and Fairbanks, but will be in Barrow for an overnight. With the PFD fare sale and Alaska Air companion code, it was not that expensive to fly to Barrow for the "day", at least in comparison to the other expenses for the trip.

One thing we are interested in doing in Barrow is attending the annual Christmas Games. Is there a schedule yet for that? I found last year's schedule on C-D and it looks like the adult games are held nightly from 7:00 PM to 2:00 AM at Fred Ipalook Elementary. We are staying at the King Eider, so it should be a short (if chilly!) walk to get there after we arrive.

I'm also unsure on the issue of protocol. Is it OK to just "show up"? It feels almost like we'd be crashing someone else's party (like maybe we should take a gift or some food or something! ). Any suggestions on what to do about that?

-Ax

Old 10-11-2011, 07:31 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,787,412 times
You will fit right in - don't be bashfull.. there is no protocol - Just show up !! It is fun for all !!! A cab will take you anyplace in town for $5.00

Have fun and take lots of photographs !!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:14 PM

10 posts, read 18,473 times
Thanks, SityData - FYI, I have never been accused of being "bashful" . I would not want to be inconsiderate, however.

We'll keep the taxi option open - we love to walk (and have appropriate cold weather gear), but may change our minds once we get there. This is actually our first visit to Alaska - we're from Georgia so sub-zero temperatures are not something we have ever experienced. We are flying to Barrow from Anchorage, and we're anticipating a bit of a shock when we step off the plane .

It will be fun though, and we are looking forward to the trip!

-Ax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska