Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 02:03 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times

Advertisements

Met - Precisely the reason I adopted my last dog (a St. Bernard) from a rescue instead of buying one form a "puppy" mill. Unfortunately, she passed away this year at the ripe age of 14. Which for a Saint is very, very old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 03:35 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
I am always interested in peoples ideas about animals. Apparently redjacket thinks that they have as much and perhaps more of a right to the earth as do humans.

I like animals. I have had and likely will have pets. Not cats, they aren't pets.

But a realistic attitude toward animals is important. It think many people who grew up on a farm where animals are raised for food understand this better than someone who grew up in a city.

Met...you process fish for a living and by all accounts to a very good job of it. Are fish different than other animals? Actually that's not a question for Met because I'm sure she has settled this question but it's a good one for all of us to dwell on. What makes one animal have more of a right to life than another? Would it be wrong to raise dogs for food?

I think most rural Alaskan's have pet dogs. But when they run out of food the dog's food would become human food and then the dog would become human food as well. That is not what would happen in urban areas. I think most urban people would either starve or let their dog loose to fend for itself before eating it.

Just my opinion.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:38 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Um, they're looking for a rental here in Bethel. The link I posted is one of the only places that takes pets.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:51 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
I am always interested in peoples ideas about animals. Apparently redjacket thinks that they have as much and perhaps more of a right to the earth as do humans.

I like animals. I have had and likely will have pets. Not cats, they aren't pets.

But a realistic attitude toward animals is important. That is not what would happen in urban areas. I think most urban people would either starve or let their dog loose to fend for itself before eating it.

Just my opinion.
there are two different things being discussed here..there are people who would indeed eat there pet should it be necessary, there are those who would not....the mere choice to "get rid" of a pet out of convenience is the other side of this...pets bond to their humans, to abandon them is wrong....whether it be a dog, cat, horse or what ever.....completely insensitive people never connect with the emotional aspect of animals...they are also the ones who have difficulty in relationships.

"Woof!" I said as you started the car,
"Hooray!" I said, it's my first time afar.
The scents we were passing were all new to me,
For it was my first introduction to this mystery.
As we got out of the car I embraced you with joy,
After all you remembered to bring my favorite toy!
You threw it once or twice, of which I retrieved,
But on the third it seemed you were ready to leave.
You threw it long and hard and I chased it like lightning,
But when I turned to bring it back I saw a sight quite frightening.
I gripped my toy hard as I tried to comprehend
What it was I did wrong to make our relationship end.
You walked back to your car as I sat there still loyal.
Why am I subservient and you so royal?
Your engine started, and you peeled out into the night,
You didn't even care about my overwhelming fright.
As I sat in my pose determined you would come back,
The sun faded behind me while the surroundings turned black.
Day after day I stayed in that park,
Lying... waiting... too feeble to bark.
As I lay there dying thinking of you master,
I asked myself how I got into this horrifying disaster.
With my last breath of life, I whispered your name
Then I collapsed in a heap overrun by pain.
Why didn't you love me master? Why didn't you care?
Had I no significance, was I just a clump of hair?
I stayed there master and I waited for you
I guess taking care of me was just too much to do.
I'm gone now master, no more You-and-I
But what I can't figure out is why you didn't even say goodbye...

DONT ABANDON YOUR PETS. You are their lives !

Old 11-13-2011, 03:52 PM

7 posts, read 22,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I guess I see things differently. Dogs are animals just like cows, chickens, caribou or moose. At some point they might make a tasty meal in a survival situation....
I guess we all see things differently, did you know we have been building this relationship with dogs for over 15,000 years. After all that time you would think we could have a mutual respect for the sake of respect if nothing else my dogs respect our leadership and reward us w/ unending affection. To turn a cold shoulder on such a faithful companion speaks loads of ones character and values.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:53 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,694 times
Warpt,

where on the net would be a good place to learn a little more about Bethel? I can't help but get more interested, the more photos of yours I see posted.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:55 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Um, they're looking for a rental here in Bethel. The link I posted is one of the only places that takes pets.
Good point.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:58 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,247,217 times
As some of you know, my boys (dogs) are my family. Stiff and I have gotten into this before, just one of those things. Either way, I would my myself in danger to protect my dogs.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:59 PM

7 posts, read 22,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
yes and thank you, unfortunately their rentals are all full right now.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:02 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,785,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Humans have taken it upon themselves to conclude that they're the pinnacle of creation and all things on planet earth were created for their pleasure.

That's pretty arrogant, isn't it?
Those are God's words you are quoting - not mans..

It is merely just one of HIS many simple method(s) for feeding the world.

Arrogance is insisting that NOTHING created everything.

Take the time to think; 60,000 miles of veins are inside of every baby born.

As we mature to become adults that figure increases to 100,000 miles.

That has only one explanation that makes any sense; Intelligent design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska