Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:17 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times

Advertisements

anyone with furbabies/fuzzynose babies check this out and do not feed your dogs this.....again read all ingredients and where the product is made for any of your pets.
Vitals - Chicken jerky treats linked to mystery illnesses, deaths in dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 03:36 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
anyone with furbabies/fuzzynose babies check this out and do not feed your dogs this.....again read all ingredients and where the product is made for any of your pets.
Vitals - Chicken jerky treats linked to mystery illnesses, deaths in dogs
Thanks for posting!!!! Our dogs have had this in the past but mainly duck treats; noooooo more!

Old 11-22-2011, 04:05 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,250,164 times
Good to know. My fuzzynoses mostly just get milkbone or livasnaps.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:58 PM

158 posts, read 322,677 times
I went to check if there were any here and will be careful in the future too.
Thanks for posting about this.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:06 PM

868 posts, read 1,427,564 times
Thank you for posting this. I haven't gotten chicken jerky for my dogs in a long time, but I used to. I am pretty choosy about what brands I buy, but since there seems to be no specific manufacturer implicated in this, I'll just avoid them altogether for now.

My dogs' treat of choice since arriving here is Yummy Chummies, anyway.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:17 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,859,201 times
Thank you for posting this. I try to be very careful with treats, feeding only Milkbones and Busybones.

Our vet recommended giving carrots, celery and green beans as treats, and all three of my dogs love them.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:28 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,633,582 times
Most dogs love apples(not the seeds), bananas, carrots. broccoli, yogurt, peanuts (unsalted), peanut butter, eggs, oatmeal, hot dogs --- and just about anything you have in your frig'.

All the above and plenty of other stuff makes for a healthy treat/snack for you pet. I long ago stopped buying treats in the store because they're mostly junk and quite expensive. Same for most dog foods.

Your dog can eat just about anything you do and live a healthier and longer life. Regardless of what any one says, I stand by what I just said.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:41 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,959 times
My sister always used Cheerios for dog treats for her old dog. I usually use milk bones the smallest I can buy then break them up for (Fat!) Freddie. It doesn't seem to matter what I give him, as long as I give him something...and he is fat!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
My sister always used Cheerios for dog treats for her old dog. I usually use milk bones the smallest I can buy then break them up for (Fat!) Freddie. It doesn't seem to matter what I give him, as long as I give him something...and he is fat!
weeeellll....I am guilty of overfeeding Fat Freddie this summer! shame on me but he's soooooo cute! ahhhahaa

Old 11-23-2011, 07:16 AM

there is a better list out there but this is a fair one

Food and non-food items that can be hazardous to your dog’s health

Most dog owners have heard their share of warnings about certain foods that can make their dog ill or result in death when ingested in a large enough quantity. Some of the more common toxic foods that dog owners are generally aware of include:
  • Bones – pose a choking risk or can become lodged in the digestive tract
  • Chocolate – toxic levels possible with the ingestion of 1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for milk chocolate, 1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for semi-sweet chocolate, and 1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for baker’s chocolate
  • Onions – can lead to a severe case of hemolytic anemia whereby the blood doesn’t carry enough oxygen to all parts of the dog’sb ody
  • Raw eggs – can cause salmonella poisoning
  • Raw meat – can cause salmonella and/or clostridium poisoning (even though there’s a growing number of dog owners who rely on a raw food diet for their dog)
As a responsible and concerned dog owner, there are a number of other foods that you should be aware of that pose a potential health risk to your furry friend. Such items include:
  • Grapes – can lead to kidney damage and death if consumed in a large enough quantity
  • Green parts of potatoes and tomatoes – can cause problems for numerous body systems
  • Macadamia nuts – can negatively affect multiple systems due to an as-yet-unidentified substance
  • Raisins – same as grapes
  • Rawhide “treats” – can be a choking hazard, can be contaminated with salmonella poisoning, and many are treated with a variety of potentially harmful chemicals
  • Sugarless candy and other items that contain xylitol – can cause liver damage and death
  • Uncooked bread dough – can swell in the stomach and cause discomfort and/or blockages
  • Walnuts – particularly the seed hulls of black walnuts as they can cause stomach problems and moldy ones can cause seizures
Dog owners should also be familiar with non-food items that are commonly available in their environment and that can be hazardous when ingested. These items include:
  • Automatic dish detergents
  • Batteries
  • Cocoa bean mulch
  • Coffee grounds
  • Fabric-softener sheets
  • Grass that has recently been treated with chemicals
  • Human medications such as antidepressants, cold formulas, diet pills, pain killers (including aspirin and ibuprofen), and vitamins
  • Mothballs
  • Numerous houseplants and/or plants found in the landscape (refer to www.aspca.org/site/FrameSet?style=User&url=http://www.aspca.org/toxicplants/M01947.htm or www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/doglist.html (http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/doglist.html - broken link) for lists of plant-specific symptoms and plant identification photos)
  • Potpourri
  • Tobacco products
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska