Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 10:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
yeah..i reckon you may be guessin right...of course, i saw Alaska just once-in the summer, and besides my wonderful fishing trip and adventures, all i have to base things on are those AK reality shows ha ha...
but yes, my job is one i can transfer as often as i want. i am in a profession where the need is great and always there, and i can basically write my own ticket.
That makes it easier then. Pick one of the places and give it a try and if it doesn't work out you can always move on.

One thing to consider is that if you don't go to Alaska to live for awhile, you will always wonder what it would have been like had you done so, though. That probably doesn't help much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 10:06 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
ha yeah....well i will just take my time and let it all take its course...whatever is meant to be naturally.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That makes it easier then. Pick one of the places and give it a try and if it doesn't work out you can always move on.

One thing to consider is that if you don't go to Alaska to live for awhile, you will always wonder what it would have been like had you done so, though. That probably doesn't help much.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
RedJacket..i am divorced, and even though i am an independent fortysomething professional and certainly dont "need" a man, it would be nice to someday meet that special someone. that being said, i thought that AK had lots of single men (in ratio to single females)...or is that just a myth? so are you saying that my social life would not be that great there? i do love to hunt and fish, so i would think that it would be the perfect place to meet someone who has the same interests.
It's a myth, at least as far as the more populated areas go...and you're talking about moving to those places. And in some places there are more women than men. Anchorage is about equal.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:21 PM

yeah...unfortunately anchorage and fairbanks would be the only places i could transfer to....
if i could live in Delta Junction or Valdez or Glenallen, that would be great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It's a myth, at least as far as the more populated areas go...and you're talking about moving to those places. And in some places there are more women than men. Anchorage is about equal.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:22 PM

811 posts, read 1,316,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Colorado is crowded and full of green tree huggin' weenies....
And liberals

Old 11-26-2011, 10:27 PM

i dont do well with them...i am a conservative Republican.
but i still wonder if maybe its not as liberal in the smaller more rural towns in Colorado.
i mean, like here in Texas, we got all the freaks and wierdos down in Austin..a very liberal city, but where i am, its bible-thumpin, flag-wavin' , God fearin', all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
And liberals

Old 11-26-2011, 10:29 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
RedJacket..i am divorced, and even though i am an independent fortysomething professional and certainly dont "need" a man, it would be nice to someday meet that special someone. that being said, i thought that AK had lots of single men (in ratio to single females)...or is that just a myth? so are you saying that my social life would not be that great there? i do love to hunt and fish, so i would think that it would be the perfect place to meet someone who has the same interests.
Hey, what about stiffer? j/k

I have no idea what things are like when it comes to single men or women in Alaska, you'll have to ask some of the people on this forum who live there. I live in WI.

Make your list of pros & cons and take it from there. Things usually work out the way they're supposed to and I'm sure they will for you as well.

Good luck.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:30 PM

stiffer said i would have to split my own wood....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Hey, what about stiffer? j/k

I have no idea what things are like when it comes to single men or women in Alaska, you'll have to ask some of the people on this forum who live there. I live in WI.

Make your list of pros & cons and take it from there. Things usually work out the way they're supposed to and I'm sure they will for you as well.

Good luck.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:47 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,901,981 times
I lived in Colorado for 6 years. I graduated from what was the University of Southern Colorado in Pueblo in 98. I lived 40 miles away, between Canon City and Penrose. From there I went to Montana then Alaska so I just considered it a natural progression. The problem with Colorado is that you have to have 20 permits to nail two 2x4s together in your own backyard. Lots of people want to tell you what you can and can not do on your own property. And yes, was getting full of Californians.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:04 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
I used to really enjoy the area between Durango and Silverton. Spent quite a few days prospecting around there. Took a road trip through there a few years ago. Too many people, too crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska